DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

61 - 80 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Well, if you subscribe to the school of thought that you do need to change your setup due to different venues and you're insistent upon a pre-tune being necessary then it would make sense to me that you would need to do the whole process over again. Including time.

However, I don't think either is necessary, and certainly not adjusting for time since it's all relative. I think the issue isn't that the system changes but that our hearing is effected (for example, I've seen many cases where the drive/flight to finals has caused issues with people's sinuses). But, let's say you subscribe to those schools of thought... at the least, you could probably "get away with" just using the 2nd step of re-running DL to correct for your any atmospheric effects.

I agree with Erin.

Although I have driven to California from Colorado and had substantially more midbass it’s was about 3db , although everything seems to change together
And the balance wasn’t diminished in any way. But that’s a 5000ft drop in altitude. The mids and highs sounded the exact same.

It should sound mostly the same everywhere. I don’t think it’s quite enough to do a entire retune but depends how your system reacts (to farther the above)
If it were me I wouldn’t think it’s warranted

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Put a DDRC 22D in front of the digital input of the Helix and you can have a “Master” Stereo L and R Dirac Live calibration.
I have no clue what that is or means, but Imna check it out! Ty

·
Registered
713 Posts

You're famous Erin. Minidsp newsletter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Has anyone experienced a 50% drop in volume once you applied Dirac to a configuration?

Set up a configuration - pre-tune in the plug-in - @ 15/34 on the head unit gave 72 db with correlated PN.

After Dirac with same configuration -with either Dirac Live on or off - gives 57db @ 15/34. It has to be turned up to 34/34 to get 72db.

I just went into the Routing page and bumped the outputs to + 5db which yields 62db @ 15/34 and + 8db yields 65db @ 15/34 and 82db @ 34/34.

It just seems like the volume is throttled at 50%. With the plug in connected - I changed the Master Volume (at top right) to 0db - it was defaulted to -47db after running Dirac.......which at 34/34 it was barely audible.

Is there a tick box that needs to be unticked or vice versa that I'm missing somewhere? I currently don't have the wired remote connected - I'll get the cable hopefully in the next couple days to see if that has any affect.

My pre-set #3 (mirror of config 1 just with slightly different TA for driving position) didn't have Dirac run on it, and it is very loud at 15/34.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Wait, I thought you had a Helix?

Anyway, I am not sure if my volume dropped by 50% but yes I definitely find that Dirac can end up cutting volume. If you look in the other C-DSP thread that Andy (oabeieo) created there is some discussion about it in there. A lot of it boils down to where your chosen curve is in relation to your measurements. I usually end up doing the same as you and bumping the levels to 5dB on the routing tab, not ideal, but it at least gets me volume back to where I am happy.

Also, does this mean there will be 3 x MiniDSP Dirac powered cars at my meet next month? Going to be really cool to listen to everyone's tunes.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
I do have the Helix - I’m evaluating the MiniDSP to see if it will work in my set up - thanks for letting me know that this was mentioned in the other thread - I’ll do a search. And to answer your question.....maybe......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Well worth reading through the other thread as well as one on the MiniDSP forum, they both have a good chunk of information from those of us who are trying to figure out the best way to utilize the DL version.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I seem to remember reading about more people with output or sub output issues when using more than 2 DIRAC channels. It seems like the software works better with a 2-channel tune (L/R) with the sub output getting 50%L and 50%R.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Foreword:

So a few questions... I am somewhat familiar with the REW technique to measure the FR and work to get the auto-eq correction files. Normally you would setup your target response curve at or around the average and mostly cut the peaks vs booting (for the most part).

So here with Dirac it looks like the target is much above the "average" in the low FR say 0-100Hz. If this is the case, does Dirac simply boost these fr's, or i hope it simply first boosts the gain on the channels then mostly cuts as needed as one would do using REW?

Or do we need to be more careful and ensure the gain on each channel (i.e. SUB here) is at a good level first before running Dirac on everything?

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
So a few questions... I am somewhat familiar with the REW technique to measure the FR and work to get the auto-eq correction files. Normally you would setup your target response curve at or around the average and mostly cut the peaks vs booting (for the most part).

So here with Dirac it looks like the target is much above the "average" in the low FR say 0-100Hz. If this is the case, does Dirac simply boost these fr's, or i hope it simply first boosts the gain on the channels then mostly cuts as needed as one would do using REW?

Or do we need to be more careful and ensure the gain on each channel (i.e. SUB here) is at a good level first before running Dirac on everything?

Good question.

So if you look at your “avg spectrum” curve you will see it’s “normalized”

So no matter what level you take your measurements it will show the same “curve” . I want to say that it averages the spl and the sound power and comes up with what it considers boosted and cut from the “0db line” even tho that line is artificial.

So the average spectrum response is basically it’s representation on how it will build correction and what will be boost and cuts.

So Dirac can boost no more than 10db.

So if your entire target has more than 10db differences it’s going to start to push things down.

Meaning. If your target is +10db at 20hz and -15db at 20khz it’s going to lower the entire volume of everything at least 5db to make your target. So you will loose at least 5db of output gain in essence depending on where your avg spectrum is centered on the 0db like , could loose as much as 15db gain!

Some targets may not have a 10db difference but against the response “could be more” than 10db and thus lowered output.

So if you start to notice it’s cutting a lot of gain try getting your gains set so that it’s not having to make so much change.
But there’s a caveat. If you do too much with gains the measurements will say “too low level” so your kinda stuck really in the +/-10db range. (But seriously who wants 20db swings in there targets , use a-bass knob if you want that much low end and measure with bass knob very very low) ;)

My best advice is keep your target under 10db difference for maximum gain output of Dirac and use a bass knob after Dirac to bring sub up to the level you wanted it. And that means maybe a little pre planning if your a stickler about crossover points being exacting. (I’m not if my crossover moves up 5hz I don’t care) but it’s important to some ppl.

Edit add: And if the correction is more than 10db you’ll notice where your big dips are your target response (in yellow) will have more jagged ripple in response , because your past the 10db eq limit

Hope that helps

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
And remember:

The target is a EQ. A different type of eq but still an eq to a point.

And what I’m trying to say is if you have too much bass boosted in the target the highs will surly saturate a little just like it would with any eq at higher volumes

For example , hook up a system with a stereo 1/3oactave graphic eq.
Now boost everything under 125hz to its max and cut the highs
And listen . At high levels the highs will saturate a little and modulate a little of the low end.

This eq is no different. It will do the same thing if your boosting too much in the lows .

A little bit is OK just like it would be with any Eq. Just trying to avoid Having massive amounts of bass energy in your tweeters. Yeah your crossover will “filter it” but the energy is still there.

So where are you boosting? Is it the 0db line or at the crest of the avg spectrum.

To better answer this and how the target behaves is look at the avg spectrum
The parts that are above the 0db line May or May not boost if your target is between them. If the spectrum was inverted how would it ride your target is the question that answers that.

Most of your response will just be a inverse filter. (An exact opposite of your response) some will be left alone and some will be slightly moved depending if it’s correctable.

Minimum phase is invertable. Not everything will be minimum phase. Some of it can be corrected so it is invertable some can not.

From a strictly SQ standpoint, I just keep my target below the “0db line” and try to stay close to the bottom of my response. That will ensure the inversion will be all cuts. Like setting rew not to boost anything. Or a max boost of maybe 2db . Or more if there’s a bigger difference between the boost and how far down the response is below 0db line.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Every time I start my car, output is drastically cut. I have to open Dirac and adjust the output levels every time the vehicle is cycled off then back on. I’ve tried everything I can think of. Anyone else having this issue?

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Every time I start my car, output is drastically cut. I have to open Dirac and adjust the output levels every time the vehicle is cycled off then back on. I’ve tried everything I can think of. Anyone else having this issue?

What do you mean ajust levels when start car?

Like the output sliders move on there own?

Check make sure jumpers internal are in place and make sure your remote power setting / switch are correct to power input .

Idk

61 - 80 of 221 Posts