DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

161 - 180 of 298 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Shipped from China on Monday. Received in California on Tuesday. That's pretty intense.
I’m not a Trump supporter but:

“ According to the US Postal Service, it would cost around US$20 to mail a small parcel of 2kg (4.4lbs) from one US state to another, but mailing the same package from China would only cost US$5.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.scmp.com/news/china/diplomacy/article/2169144/chinas-cheap-shipping-advantage-explained

We all pay to get things shipped from China cheap and fast..

·
Registered
26 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Guys, they ship from HK, right?

Can you recommend c-dsp 8x12 with or without Dirac over helix dsp3 ?

Especially in the tuning aspect.
Thank you.
Comparing the C-DSP 8x12 with the Helix DSP.3 the C-DSP is a better choice (IMO). I previously owned a Helix DSP and while I will admit I preferred the software of the Helix, the C-DSP offers a much better value (12 vs 8 channels being the biggest difference though).

The Helix is a solid DSP and you will find a lot of support for it here. The Dirac enabled C-DSP is a game changer though, you will find many people here selling Helix DSP's to pick up the Dirac enabled C-DSP.

The C-DSP has it's quirks, but if you are using a Dirac version you save so much time in tuning that even having to deal with quirks is quicker than manually tuning. The biggest thing for me has been finding the ideal microphone positions that work in my car, but that does not take all that long. The cool thing is, if tomorrow I decided to throw out all my equipment and replace it with something different, I can get a baseline tune set up and sounding good within 10-15 minutes. If you are not great at manually tuning, or simply don't care to spend that time tweaking and adjusting for hours on end, get the C-DSP with Dirac.

·
Registered
17,724 Posts
This is what I wanted to hear.
I'm 99% sure that I won't be able to tune the 3 way properly. No matter how many hours I will spend on it.
good thing the Helix does have an Auto EQ feature.. works pretty well too. Its just not FIR like Dirac.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
good thing the Helix does have an Auto EQ feature.. works pretty well too. Its just not FIR like Dirac.
Im not going to argue this with you in any length but the Dirac software is light years above anything Helix has to offer right now. I know you love Helix and you're a dealer but you Really need to try this thing.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,724 Posts
Im not going to argue this with you in any length but the Dirac software is light years above anything Helix has to offer right now. I know you love Helix and you're a dealer but you Really need to try this thing.

I've seen it. I've talked to people who are even better tuners than I am who have it in their car. General consensus is that it is indeed good, but not what you see people making it out to be. That said, it also requires so expertise in using, no? Meaning, not any average joe can install it and run dirac to make it work. Am I wrong in thinking that?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
I've seen it. I've talked to people who are even better tuners than I am who have it in their car. General consensus is that it is indeed good, but not what you see people making it out to be. That said, it also requires so expertise in using, no? Meaning, not any average joe can install it and run dirac to make it work. Am I wrong in thinking that?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Unless you're running something like horns, then its pretty plug and play. The software is very step by step. You don't need to do any real pre-eq. It helps to understand some basic things like crossovers but that can be said for the Helix as well.

The only real tricky thing is getting a target curve where you want it. Its not that big of a deal, just a small nuance.

I'd say the learning curve for a Helix is far beyond what you do with Dirac. You really don't need to learn Rew at all.

Also we've learned that it's better to run each side as one. So 1 left channel with all left drivers playing. 1 right channel with all right playing. Ect. So that eliminated the complicated special crossover making per driver.

·
Premium Member
3,478 Posts
... though, you will find many people here selling Helix DSP's to pick up the Dirac enabled C-DSP.
I do not use what a herd is doing as proof that it is better, wiser, etc.

Even though it may be good people doing fads does not form an epistemology.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts

I've seen herds run off a cliff to their deaths, so yeah.
Although, neither one of us is saying that using a Helix dsp is even remotely that bad a decision.

·
Premium Member
3,478 Posts
I've seen herds run off a cliff to their deaths, so yeah.
Although, neither one of us is saying that using a Helix dsp is even remotely that bad a decision.
Or a forum-boner.

It probably is good.
I was very close to getting one myself.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Or a forum-boner.

It probably is good.

I was very close to getting one myself.
Think of Dirac as an ms8 without the 1200 page help thread. It works and it can do a better job than you can tuning. Period.

·
Premium Member
3,478 Posts
Think of Dirac as an ms8 without the 1200 page help thread. It works and it can do a better job than you can tuning. Period.
Got it.

But ^That^ is a way different arguement than "everyone has one, so it must be good".

·
Registered
2,437 Posts

Agreed entirely, maybe I was not clear enough. I should have said that owners of Helix DSPs have listened to cars running a C-DSP or tried a C-DSP themselves and are impressed enough that they are making the switch.

I'd say the C-DSP is far from a "forum boner" a number of us running the Dirac version already had the 8x12 and simply upgraded the firmware.

·
Premium Member
3,478 Posts
Agreed entirely, maybe I was not clear enough. I should have said that owners of Helix DSPs have listened to cars running a C-DSP or tried a C-DSP themselves and are impressed enough that they are making the switch.

I'd say the C-DSP is far from a "forum boner" a number of us running the Dirac version already had the 8x12 and simply upgraded the firmware.
What did they find that impressed them?
I read somewhere that the Helix was just as good in the hands of a good tuner. (Maybe it was a Skizer post?)

Faster tune?.
More of X?

I talked a friend in NoVa to try one for his home subs.
He sent some REW phase plots, but I don'ttghink he is using the Dirac yet.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
What did they find that impressed them?

I read somewhere that the Helix was just as good in the hands of a good tuner. (Maybe it was a Skizer post?)

Faster tune?.

More of X?
Without Dirac. The Helix is worlds above any Mini out there.

Helix has input eq and alot of cool voltage control and modular expansions and is just amazing all around.

The Dirac Mini gets results faster and easier when it comes to UI and Eq/ t/a

·
Premium Member
3,478 Posts
Without Dirac. The Helix is worlds above any Mini out there.

Helix has input eq and alot of cool voltage control and modular expansions and is just amazing all around.

The Dirac Mini gets results faster and easier when it comes to UI and Eq/ t/a
Ok let's disregard the non-Dirac version...
It sounds like the Helix is not "worlds above" the Mini-w/Dirac.

Not if people hear them and are drawn to Dirac like rats/lemmings are drawn to the pied piper.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Ok let's disregard the non-Dirac version...

It sounds like the Helix is not "worlds above" the Mini-w/Dirac.

Not if people hear them and are drawn to Dirac like rats are drawn to the pied piper.
Its for 1 reason. Dirac does it better faster. I can spend 2 days in a car. Listening and tuning and Dirac can literally give me a tune 10x better in 20 minutes

It basically does FIR super accurate eq across the whole spectrum and does all pass filters and phase adjustment and time alignment in 20 minutes. Its stupid good.

·
Premium Member
3,478 Posts
Its for 1 reason. Dirac does it better faster. I can spend 2 days in a car. Listening and tuning and Dirac can literally give me a tune 10x better in 20 minutes
"Better & faster" is 3dB better than 1-reason. :D

But can the Helix sound just as good? (With the fullness of time)
or...
is the Dirac always superior?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
"Better & faster" is 3dB better than 1-reason. :D

But can the Helix sound just as good? (With the fullness of time)
or...
is the Dirac always superior?
The MiniDSP or Helix could sound better than Dirac in the hands of an EXPERT tuner but we're talking very few true experts. And it will take a lot longer to get the tune.

You asked about the home theater of which I have more experience. Audyssey, Dirac, Anthem Room Correction, and Trinnov are the main automatic room correction algorithms. Trinnov is the best and is amazing but is also $20,000+ for a 16-channel unit and over $30,000 for a 32-ch unit (speakers, Atmos speakers, subs). Audyssey is on the majority of receivers and gives decent but not great results. Anthem Room Correction is noticeably better than Audyssey and was better than Dirac 1.0 but Dirac 2.0 is now back on top. As a matter of fact, JBL used to license Trinnov for their top processors but they recently announced that they were using Dirac 2.0 for their top processors.

Oh, and most of the talk in this thread is using Dirac 1.0 but Dirac 2.0 is being rolled out to the MiniDSP units, with the DDRC stereo units getting it first. 2.0 should be available for the C-DSP 8x12 DL soon.

161 - 180 of 298 Posts