DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 898 Posts

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cdspdl will be here tomorrow or next day ,

If anyone also has upgraded there’s or got a new unit and experienced any issues with yours please share what those issues are and how you resolved them.

I will try and help anyone with there unit as much as I can if you having issues.
Me and a few others have been using ddrc24s ddrc22s or ddrc88s or 2x4HDs which all share a similar platform as far as the UI and functionality.
I’m sure there’s some experts here that can share somethings also.

On the minidsp forum a couple ppl had issues getting Dirac to output and a new firmware was given, I do not know if it is live and a official build or if it was a patch that minidsp supplied to them on a individual basis.

This is a very good unit and packed with power. even the most problematic acoustic problems can be made into sweet music bliss with this guy.
There is a learning curve to this type of dsp but it’s easy and anyone can do it.
You will make even the most experienced tuners shake and tremble when you have one of these installed.

Hope to get good input from anyone that has got there’s already.
Please let us know what isn’t working or doesn’t make sense the way you initially thought we can get it working the right way with a little bit.

There’s a gain structure procedure on minidsp for the ddrc88a/bm and it’s very good. This should be adopted to the CDSP-DL as it’s almost the same unit, and the level setting part is the same.

Thanks in advance:surprised:

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
On the minidsp forum a couple ppl had issues getting Dirac to output and a new firmware was given, I do not know if it is live and a official build or if it was a patch that minidsp supplied to them on a individual basis.
It's a file that they sent, in the email they said if it's successful they will release a software update. Fixed the problem for both myself and the other guy, so I imagine a software update will be available soon.

Are you still thinking of making a video of setting it up? I know you mentioned it in the other thread, it would be very handy to have as initial set up of the routing/mixer tabs and DLCT can be daunting!

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a file that they sent, in the email they said if it's successful they will release a software update. Fixed the problem for both myself and the other guy, so I imagine a software update will be available soon.

Are you still thinking of making a video of setting it up? I know you mentioned it in the other thread, it would be very handy to have as initial set up of the routing/mixer tabs and DLCT can be daunting!

Yes I will,

I should be getting mine in mail tomorrow so we all have same UI.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Are you planning to use FIR filters?

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
Are you planning to use FIR filters?
I think DIRAC uses mixed-phase filters. Some FIR and some IIR.

If someone wanted to do all FIR filters, they probably need to use RePhase some something like that to build their own filters and then upload them.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Having been playing with the DL for about a week now, it kind of feels like cheating a little. I have a tune that rivals, if not beats, the best manual tune I'd done previously. Stage is wide, center is in the center, bass is not behind me. Dirac took all of 10 minutes, the manual tune, no idea, it easily took hours of REW measurements and EQ tweaks. I think for some of the guys who can nail down a good tune relatively quickly, this unit won't be for them, but for many of us it's great, just in the time saving alone.

There's still a couple minor, but annoying bugs in the software, the worst being it tells you the levels are too low, when you've already set them correctly. Clicking OK then Start and it proceeds like it should do, it's just annoying having to click it every time.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Having been playing with the DL for about a week now, it kind of feels like cheating a little. I have a tune that rivals, if not beats, the best manual tune I'd done previously. Stage is wide, center is in the center, bass is not behind me. Dirac took all of 10 minutes, the manual tune, no idea, it easily took hours of REW measurements and EQ tweaks. I think for some of the guys who can nail down a good tune relatively quickly, this unit won't be for them, but for many of us it's great, just in the time saving alone.

There's still a couple minor, but annoying bugs in the software, the worst being it tells you the levels are too low, when you've already set them correctly. Clicking OK then Start and it proceeds like it should do, it's just annoying having to click it every time.

Are you talking about the dialog box that opens on first measurement?

Lmao! Hahaha ....is that what it says? I’ve never took the time to read it , I figured it was an annoying dialogue warning about levels ...I never realized it says too low.....

When it takes measurements on the bottom of the screen in DLCT it should show the mono waveform graph of the measurements, that should be about (roughly) half to 3/4 filled with audio traces. It shouldn’t be itty bitty small.

I usually measure at -35dbfs with a mic gain at 0

I never push the umik1 into the red on mic gain , the umik1 has a lot of gain (+18db) but that’s just me, it shouldn’t matter too much as long as your filling the audio track like I said about half to three quarters.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Make a videoooo. Doesn't need to be anything crazy. Just a recording of your screen as you use it. I wanna see a few things and I'd realllllly appreciate it

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Are you talking about the dialog box that opens on first measurement?

Lmao! Hahaha ....is that what it says? I’ve never took the time to read it , I figured it was an annoying dialogue warning about levels ...I never realized it says too low.....
Yeah, the first message says to make sure it's in the center of the listening area, then every measurement gives the warning about level being too low. It's not a deal breaker, but an annoyance.

When it takes measurements on the bottom of the screen in DLCT it should show the mono waveform graph of the measurements, that should be about (roughly) half to 3/4 filled with audio traces. It shouldn’t be itty bitty small.

I usually measure at -35dbfs with a mic gain at 0

I never push the umik1 into the red on mic gain , the umik1 has a lot of gain (+18db) but that’s just me, it shouldn’t matter too much as long as your filling the audio track like I said about half to three quarters.
That's about what I aim for as well, I usually leave the microphone at the default level and just adjust the output so that each channel is just about hitting the -12 on the scale.

Make a videoooo. Doesn't need to be anything crazy. Just a recording of your screen as you use it. I wanna see a few things and I'd realllllly appreciate it
This video does a pretty decent job of showing the DLCT screen:

https://youtu.be/vVQhI7fPank

Unless you're also looking for a video of the MiniDSP software as well, it should be helpful as it's basically exactly the same.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

I will ...i finally got my DHl email, my cdsp arrives tomorrow
I’m using ddrc24 and ddrc22d right now.

I want to make a video with the cdsp , I need a day to install it and than I’ll make a video :-$

·
Registered
1,663 Posts

Curious if you could outline the process for the 10 minute tune. Just to give us an idea exactly what steps are manual, automated etc.

I've been manually tuning my car for about 4 years, basically with no point of reference (ie what a good tune sounds like...) Still leaves something to be desired..

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Curious if you could outline the process for the 10 minute tune. Just to give us an idea exactly what steps are manual, automated etc.

I've been manually tuning my car for about 4 years, basically with no point of reference (ie what a good tune sounds like...) Still leaves something to be desired..
Sure... You open the DSP plug in and set up dirac channels via a routing tab, so I have 5 channels set up, left speakers, right speakers, left rear, right rear and sub, then on a mixer tab assign those dirac channels to individual speakers... Channel 1 = left tweeter, left mid, left midbass and so on. On the output tabs enter your crossovers. Then set your levels, I used REW to get left/right levels. Save that and exit the DSP plug in.

Open DLCT, it scans for the DSP and you enter how many channels you are running. Basically select custom and then enter the number, in my case 5. Hit proceed, it finds the microphone, hit proceed again and you can adjust the output levels, there's a play button besides each channel, click that it sends pink noise out that channel. You can also rename the channels here to make more sense. Once you have the levels set here, hit proceed.

Select "Chair" and you'll see a bunch of dots. Put the microphone on the first position, click start and it makes a number of sweeps (one more than the number of channels). If your output if too low or high it will tell you. Repeat for all, 9 positions and click proceed.

Load a target or use the auto one, drag the level down below the biggest dips. I link channels together (left and right front, left and right rear), but you can do individually. Click optimize, wait 30 seconds or so, marvel at the new response line. Click proceed and drag the Dirac file into a DSP preset. Save and exit.

Open the DSP and adjust the master volume, or individual channels if needed.

Done.

Ignore the subwoofer on here, I was experimenting, but this was an earlier iteration of what I have now. 1/12 smoothing in REW.

As to knowing a good tune, for me it was attending meets and hearing other guys cars. But, there's also a lot of personal preference. If you don't like how it sounds, but someone says it's a good tune, is it really?

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Okay I’ve never seen too low warnings in that cases

Do the measurements to your ears sound fairly loud ?

Should be fairly loud not balls to the wall tho
It's a bug with the C-DSP version, I'll be surprised if you don't get the too low message once you get yours installed.

Measurements are loud, but not if that makes sense.

1 - 20 of 898 Posts