DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

921 - 928 of 928 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yes I’d like something like 5x30 watt amp for tweets, 5x100 for mids, 2x175 watt amp for midbasses, and 1x500 wat amp for sub. That right there would be 4 amps even if they existed and of course they don’t because no one makes 5 channel amps like that. But with Dirac it’s definitely advantageous to have separate channels for tweeters. It’s silly to have chunky passive crossovers that eat power and can only color the sound, introduce phase problems.

It would at least be nice if someone made a 10 channel amp like that with the 5 channels for tweets and 5 for mids.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Do a search for some of the older multi-channel amp threads as this has been discussed before and there are a few tiered amps out there. And a couple 8-ch amps. :)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hey everyone just a general question since this device has 12 channels of output and many here are doing multichannel active systems: What do you generally do for amplifiers? Does you have like 6 amplifiers or something?

id love to do an all active system with multi- channel upmixing, but scared of what kind of amplifier farm it would entail and miles of copper that would need to be layed.
It shouldn't be too hard. You could do something like an Audison AP F8.9 plus a JL Audio HD600/4. That would give you 12 channels (8x85W plus 4x150W,) and would fit in a space a bit over a square foot (about 17"x10", and only 2" high). Helix V Eight would be another choice for a small 8-channel amp with good power. Or the Alpine PXE-0850S if you can get by with less power.

EDIT: oops, that doesn't leave much for a sub. So JL HD900/5 instead, and let one of the channels in it or in the 8-channel go unused.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I wonder if it would be possible for MiniDSP to offer upgrade for Dirac Unison capabilities, should they finally be made available to the aftermarket rather than exclusively car manufacturers. That would be a game changer and make car audio truly interesting to me. Right now ai want good sound in my car but am reluctant to invest when the industry as whole is still the same technology as 40 years ago. Feels like buying a horse and buggy right before Model T comes out.

I wonder what Dirac will show at CES this week. Hartman isn’t going to release anything to aftermarket ever, I don’t think. https://www.dirac.com/ces2020

·
Registered
66 Posts
Does anyone know if the C-DSP 8x12 is theoretically upgradeable to Dirac Unison (i.e., fundamentally capable of incorporating digital multichannel upmixing)?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Just thinking out loud, wouldn't it be nice if amps just had a single source of "wattage" that all channels could "share" as needed - dynamically. This way, each channel would take what it needs, when it needs it. Is something like this not possible?

So let's say you bought a 1200 watt amp. Each channel would just use what it needs from that 1200 watts. Obviously, the wattage needed would fluctuate - the 1200 watts would just be a single "pool" of power and each channel used what it needed at the moment.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Just thinking out loud, wouldn't it be nice if amps just had a single source of "wattage" that all channels could "share" as needed - dynamically. This way, each channel would take what it needs, when it needs it. Is something like this not possible?

So let's say you bought a 1200 watt amp. Each channel would just use what it needs from that 1200 watts. Obviously, the wattage needed would fluctuate - the 1200 watts would just be a single "pool" of power and each channel used what it needed at the moment.

The new PG Ti3 amps do something kind of like this called "Power Shift".

POWER SHIFT
Phoenix Gold’s exclusive feature to allow you to direct power where it is needed. Active system design has never been easier. Why waste output power when it can be redirected to the channels that can better utilize it.
Insane amplifier efficiencies and output are achieved with POWER SHIFT. With POWER SHIFT deactivated, the amplifier will produce equal power to all channels (with similar gain settings). To activate POWER SHIFT first power down the amplifier; then switch the front panel selector to ON. Power up the amplifier and the front panel indicator will verify POWER SHIFT is active. Output power from the front channels is redirected to the rear channels.
For an active 2-way front stage, this is the perfect setup, the amplifier shifts from 225w per ch @4Ω to a more usable 150w front ch 300w rear ch setup, into 2Ω the amp produces 200w per channel on 1&2 plus 400 per channel on 3&4. Since the gain controls will be set to similar levels as the amplifier is producing different output power instead of severely turning down the front gains to compensate, the power levels are extremely linear thru the full output range. Audiophiles rejoice!
Another option is a powerful passive front stage and bridge the rear channels to a subwoofer. In this configuration, the front channels would get a respectable 150w per ch @ 4Ω plus a whopping 800w @ 4Ω mono for a subwoofer;

·
Premium Member
8,862 Posts
Wow thanks again for the detailed explanation.

Even without the phase shift issues that I could likely have overcome I should have been more diligent with equipment selection before I picked up that Z-3KD. I simply overlooked the fact that the bandpass crossover section (LPF and HPF) is non-defeatable. I'm not going to use it not only because of the phase issues that I may have been able to correct, but also the slope on the SSF ended up being all wrong for my install. That 24db SSF is great for a ported enclosure, but not a great choice for an IB setup. If I do end up applying a SSF it will be a 6db slope at 25hz to maximize output and stay within excursion, applied to all channels just to be on the safe side. Thanks again for taking the time to lay it all out.
24dB SSF @ 10Hz is too high and steep for an IB install? That SSF will actually have less impact on your low end response than even a 1st order Butterworth filter at 20Hz. See the comparison below based on some IB subs I have and plan to use in my wife's car.
Yellow: 10Hz LR4 SSF, 250Hz BW2 LPF | Red: 20Hz BW1 SSF | Green: No Filters

Now, if you plan to run those subs with a really high low pass filter then I suppose the 12dB low pass filter built into the amp could have some impact on phase. But, in most installations it shouldn't be an issue.

921 - 928 of 928 Posts