DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

101 - 120 of 907 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Did you get a chance to take the REW measurements? I really want to see if Dirac software is lying or not.

It would be nice to take the same measurements you took with Dirac then average them out within REW to see the freq response curve. Maybe even just take one measurement from the center of the listening position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Are you looking to see what the response curve looks like in REW? I thought I had already posted one a few pages back, not of an ideal measurement (subwoofer was not included in the sweeps, so the sub level is way off), but it shows the response as measured by REW after I ran Dirac and used the auto target. If that's all you are looking for, I will try to take another in a couple hours, will likely just be one measurement from center of the listening position.

If I remember to I will also take a screenshot of the Dirac software to show the curve I am using in there and see if it will overlay on top of the REW screen.

OK, here you go, Dirac screen and then a shot of REW while playing pink noise, 1/12 smoothing:

So, what is odd to me is that the subwoofer response is down about 5dB in comparison to everything else. But, I will also add that I increased the output of the midbass/mids some after applying the Dirac filters, so it could be just that. Should be very simple to resolve though assuming that's all it is. Actually, I think I just realized what that is from, when setting the output levels in DLCT I reduced the sub channel by about 10dB to stop it clipping, also an easy enough fix. Looks like a new set of measurements tomorrow.

The dip at 450Hz is I believe my fault in not lowering the target curve to the bottom of that dip initially. This was a set of measurements I took earlier today after MiniDSP had fixed the low level bug, with it being 83F ambient temperature and feeling like 92F I was spending as little time sitting in the car as possible. Hope that is what you were looking for.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
If you take 28 measurements of each side and time align them in rew and use the same spots you measurements on Dirac are it will be the same. Done it many times

Sorry tonynca I hadn’t had time. Thanks naiku for posting

Yes the sub is different as the bass knob will make it show different but especially with bass management is exact

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
So I did something really cool with my CDSPDL ....

I added my remote and I linked my midbass to the volume knob, I already have a bass knob for sub amp, it’s very nice to fatten things up on the fly , one could also link the midbass and tweeter to it and it would be an adjustable “loud” controls or more precisely a fletcher Munson device (the smiley face maker )

But it works very nice , in hot temps the midbass is lacking FOH ppl also do that at concerts as the venue heats up and people sweat, the higher temps mess with things

So that is very nice to have on hand , I can raise the sub and midbass , so I could dial a flat target and make my house curve on the fly ...I totally love it

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
I have one of these in order to play with in the Audi, and possibly going in the Mercedes if I like it.

Question...

Are the measurements taken in REW or is the Dirac a separate software?

Could you take measurements in a different software and import them for Dirac processing?

Did it come yet? We’re dying to hear your impression. (Mr snottypamts over here ((me)) already knows your going to love it :D, ) :):p

·
Registered
714 Posts
That's a pretty good resp curve man. What's the scale here?? Are those lines 5db increments??

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
I feel like its still pretty rough. Could definitely use a few peq to even some things out. So you think heavy peq after dirac is a bad thing?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
So what do you think the DL has over the ddrc24? It obviously has more channels which means it can do crossover slopes in dirac which is a big deal but other than that. It still eqs the whole 20-20khz response in the same way.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I feel like its still pretty rough. Could definitely use a few peq to even some things out. So you think heavy peq after dirac is a bad thing?

Not sure how that looks rough, he said he dialed the sub back 10db to avoid clipping and the dip at 450hz was him. It's looks to be with in 2db or so of the JBL target curve he mentioned, +9db from 160hz to 60hz and a drop off of 6db from 3khz to 20khz.

Anyway on to the question I had in mind how would this unit handle a "midbass array" I would like to put one in each door then two under each seat with a 2ms delay or so. Passband would be 80ish to 300hz, think it would work alright?

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
So what do you think the DL has over the ddrc24? It obviously has more channels which means it can do crossover slopes in dirac which is a big deal but other than that. It still eqs the whole 20-20khz response in the same way.

Thoughts?

Higher voltage and bass management, otherwise the Dirac is same

As far as the Dirac results , it’s the same as my old gear.
Having control on every channel is the hotness , a pair of ddrc24s would net the same thing (minus bass management) as far as sq goes.

The C is so nice to have all in one unit, it does all the delays for you. No lining up impulses , it’s just easy.

They both use a single sharc so a pair of ddrcs May or may not do more in the time domain, however how the C has polarity flip and delay function across all channels before and fir is used that takes a huge load off of the fir demands

So.....hard to say , but probably the same thing or very close to If done right

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Waiting for the DIrac Live activation now to try it out on my existing 8x12
Same here. Unfortunately, I wasn't unable to get the firmware loaded until last night in order to get the license activation code to email... So likely won't get the activation key until Sunday evening (Monday Morning HK time).

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
Same here. Unfortunately, I wasn't unable to get the firmware loaded until last night in order to get the license activation code to email... So likely won't get the activation key until Sunday evening (Monday Morning HK time).
Yeah. Monday it is. I should have done it on Friday morning

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Ordered. Sigh.

Horns and this thing otw

My poor poor single life no kids broke ass bank account

Yeah, poor you.. :D

God dammit, i really want one too....

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Im sure someone will put one up for sale in the future. We're all fad lovers.

I don't think a MiniDSP will ever qualify as a fad, they're just not popular enough, and they don't cost enough. As for us all being fad lovers, I don't have one piece of AudioFrog or Helix gear or Mosconi, etc., so speak for yourself.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Ordered. Sigh.
Will be looking forward to what you, as well as all the others who have either upgraded an 8x12 to an 8x12DL or purchased the DL unit, think if it once you get it installed.

I've made my thoughts clear in this thread already and am very happy with it, pretty certain I can improve on what I have as well once I tweak things a little both pre and post Dirac.

101 - 120 of 907 Posts