DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently planning to upgrade the base stereo system on my BMW E90.
The plan is as follows:
IDQ12 in a 30L corner loaded enclosure, powered by class D 650W RMS amp,
Audison AP8 underseats
cheap rear speakers that can handle power without blowing instantly.
Focal IFBMW-C in the doors(already installed)
Android Head unit(Joying) with a USB DAC (Already bought)

I listen to lots of genres: metal, rap, electro, dubstep, jazz, classic among others.

Now, I only have $350 left for a DSP including shipping to Mauritius. I do not earn money yet, being a student. Thus, this amount will not increase.
I can choose between the C-DSP 6x8 and the DSP4.8. Ill tune the DSP using my EMM-6 (calibrated). I do really like the option of having the 16 band parametric EQ on the cadence VS 6 band on the MiniDSP since I am quite the audiophile, loving accuracy above all else.

I'll make 3 profiles that I want to be able to switch via the remote:
1. TA and EQ for the driver
2. TA to push the rears and sub forward and EQ between the front seats - for driver + passenger
3. EQ averaging every listening positions in the car, and TA only the sub to bring it forward. - when there is a lot of people in the car

Now, here are my questions:
1. When tuning a car, I only have to TA and EQ, right?
2. Where should the mic be facing and that calibration file do I use in REW (0, 45, 90 degrees?)
3. Will the IDQ12 be able to go down to 20Hz well and vibrate the car while being completely linear up to 80Hz on 650W, or is it better to go lower power, and use the ID12 while crossing the midbass lower?
4(main). Which DSP do you think I should get and why? Let me know about other options too.

Music I listen to does go that low.
Here are a few examples:
Unlike pluto - everything black
Unlike pluto - waiting for you
skrillex - Make It Bun Dem <- Especially this, or any other skrillex song really

·
Registered
454 Posts
I have no hands on experience with any DSP yet, but having the 80prs now, I would be really disappointed with a 6 band EQ. That is not enough resolution to fix a majority of the problems.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no hands on experience with any DSP yet, but having the 80prs now, I would be really disappointed with a 6 band EQ. That is not enough resolution to fix a majority of the problems.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
The EQ is a parametric eq, which means you choose the frequency and Q of each band you apply. On top of that, there are 6 bands for each output, thus 48 in total.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Random thoughts

If your android headunit does OTG audio then you don't need a DAC. Both units you listed can do digital input.

Unless something has changed the DSP4.8 can only do 2 profiles not 3.

6 bands of EQ wouldn't be enough for me and it's the reason why I never bought a mini. You technically have 6 bands per input as well so if you went digital in then that's 6 bands you could spread out per side.

I hold my mic at 90 degrees pointing straight up.

The mini will get you much better customer service if anything were to happen to it. Cadence is terrible and if you need to contact them directly then give up and find Jesus.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
The DSP4.8 can store up to 10 profiles. As well, it's 16 band eq is also parametric with freqs of your choosing. Crossover slopes from through to 60dB slopes. Any channel can be configured to how you want, ANY xover point you want in all pass, BP, HP or LP. TA for each output along with attenuation per ch.

The only iossue I have with mine is the master volume doesn't store in the memory where you choose it to. It has its own predetermined save point, roughly -15dB below 0. I have to have my gains set sliightly higher then I want for proper volume output. Matt was supposd to be doing an update for it, but he hasn't replied back to me on the status of the update.

Price point and features, the Cadence is still the better DSP. I'd even run it against the big dogs once the master volume memory gets fixed.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Master volume is an across the board issue with all of them? Also this thing has been out over a year now with known problems from the start, and not a word from anyone there helping out paying customers except Matt and it's not even his responsibility. I really want to like it, if it worked it would be unbeatable for the money.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Master volume is an across the board issue with all of them? Also this thing has been out over a year now with known problems from the start, and not a word from anyone there helping out paying customers except Matt and it's not even his responsibility. I really want to like it, if it worked it would be unbeatable for the money.
Can you adjust the master volume via the remote?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Are the 6 EQ filters per driver so that you can focus on 6 specific frequency ranges to correct?

I have a mini and haven't gotten to PEQing yet.This is advanced stuff and my first shot at going active.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Yes, or custom filters with multiple correcting using biquads that well only use up one eq band making the mini far more potent

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Yes, or custom filters with multiple correcting using biquads that well only use up one eq band making the mini far more potent
Do you insert the recommended filters from REW or do you manually adjust the wave in trouble spots?

·
Registered
368 Posts
The DSP4.8 can store up to 10 profiles. As well, it's 16 band eq is also parametric with freqs of your choosing. Crossover slopes from through to 60dB slopes. Any channel can be configured to how you want, ANY xover point you want in all pass, BP, HP or LP. TA for each output along with attenuation per ch.
That's interesting because when I had mine the controller would only switch between 1 or 2 for profiles. It didn't matter if you had 4 profiles stores, it would only switch between 1 or 2.

Also, saying "all pass" can be misleading. It has a no crossover option but not an all pass filter which is often used to adjust phase.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by multiple correcting? I'll say that the ability to use biquads in their crossover slots is nice but you're still very limited in total amount of conventional EQ you can do to a driver.

It also takes drastically longer to get anywhere. When you have a large amount of bands you can layer filters from multiple rounds of EQ when using PEQ filters. When you only have 6-8 filters you have to constantly move things back and forth and make compromises.

·
Registered
204 Posts
That's interesting because when I had mine the controller would only switch between 1 or 2 for profiles. It didn't matter if you had 4 profiles stores, it would only switch between 1 or 2.

Also, saying "all pass" can be misleading. It has a no crossover option but not an all pass filter which is often used to adjust phase.
That's very weird as I have 3 profiles setup and can switch between them from the remote with no issue. I haven't tried going more than 3 yet though.

I'm not familiar with biquads so how is 6 bands per channel better than the 16 the dsp4.8 has?

I really wish they would put out the update for the Cadence DSP but I'm starting to think it will never happen. I really do like it except for the master volume issue.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Better? I didn't say that just that it's more useful than "just 6 bands" might suggest. Is the 6 with biquad rendering better than 16 independent? I can't answer that but if rew can generate the proper config with 6 bands you would say it's better.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Also who are you talking to at cadence? It wouldn't hurt to pester and go above to management to drag this almost great product over the production ready starting line

·
Registered
204 Posts
Also who are you talking to at cadence? It wouldn't hurt to pester and go above to management to drag this almost great product over the production ready starting line
I have sent them a couple of emails to their sales email and have never heard a response back from either one. I have never tried calling but I might. Their website has been under maintenance for a few months now so it appears like they are not putting much effort into anything which is sad because this DSP does have a lot of features for a very good price.

Strohw you would be correct that it is your old DSP. Thx again :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I ended up buying the cadence, and I'll be using the optical inputs.
I still don't know about the ID12 vs IDQ12 tho..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts