DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I currently have one Kicker 15 inch 250 rms 4 ohm sub in my car powered by a Jensen JPA460 amplifier. I want to add a second subwoofer to my system a 12 inch 150 watt rms 4 ohm kicker. (i know kicker isnt the best but its what i can afford, im 16 years old). I'm planing on building a custom enclosure to hold both the subs (in separate chambers) that will look like this 20130926_151408.jpg It will have a total of about 10.24 cu. ft. (5.12 on each side). My amp has tuning options for the xover lpf and hpf and i would limit each sub to prevent frequency crossover. Later on, when I have more money, i will be replacing my pioneer 3 way speakers with a component system, 2 6.5 in midbass, 2 8 in midbass, 2 2 in tweeters and 2 4 in tweeters. Soooo what do you guys think? should i or shouldnt i do this?

·
Premium Member
9,217 Posts
While you could do this, I certainly would not. It appears you own the 15" kicker and the Jensen JPA460, but not the 12" Kicker? If this is the case, I would skip the second subwoofer all together. Will it function? Sure. Will you get desirable results? I highly doubt it.

I gather from your post that the 15" Kicker is likely a Comp 15 (C154) given the Ohm and RMS rating that you provided. This will probably be OK off of the bridged rear channels of your JPA460. That amp is CEA rated at 180w RMS @ 4 Ohms bridged. Not a ton of power, but at least the displacement of the 15 will help.

Next, take the money you were going to spend on that 12" sub (probably about $80-90) and spend it on a set of components. Run those components off of your front channels of your amp (rated at 60w @ 4 Ohms). Something like the Pioneer TS-D1720C would be a good choice for a little over $100. Or if your budget is super tight, consider the Sony XS-GS1720S which can be had for as little as $70 shipped.

I think you'll be much happier with a decent set of components up front than with a hodge podge of different sized subwoofers and component/coax speakers.

·
Registered
105 Posts
What kind of car is this going in? How much space do you have? I don't recommend mixing woofers either, but if you eliminate the second sub you can have alot more breathing room for your sub (1 chamber same overall size) and your signal response will be better. You should consider a ported box as well as you can gain a couple more decibels, if you are up to it. Building a ported box can be more challenging so I understand the simplicity of sealed.

I looked at your diagram and estimated that the 15's side and it's on the small end of the woofer's recommended specs. Bigger box is usually better, except for in cases where SPL is the focus.

A component set will be better money spent than an extra mismatched woofer.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
If you put the 15 in a large ported box it should have more output then the 2 in a large sealed box.Go to Kickers web and get the manual.It will tell you what size box and tuning.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts