DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So.. I have a 2014 Sierra crewcab that I am upgrading.

Front Doors- Alpine SPR- 60C
Back Doors- Alpine SPR- 60
Amp- Phoenix Gold Tantrum (From early 2000's) 400.4

After much deliberation, I have decided to go with the MK-IV's as my low-end.

I have a Phoenix Gold Tantrum 500.2 and am wondering if this would work well with these speakers? Here's the specs.

Thermally Efficient Heatsink
Timed Acoustically Integrated Muting (TAIM)
Differential RCA or Speaker Level Inputs
Tri-Linear Capability Allows Simultaneous Stereo and Bridged Operation
18dB / Octave High Pass or Low Pass Crossover
40Hz to 800Hz Continuously Variable Crossover Frequency
Auxiliary Outputs Route Inverse Crossover Signals
Variable Twin-"T" Bass EQ Circuit Provides Up to 18 dB of Boost at 45 Hz
Optional RMD Remote Monitoring Display Port
Optional LPL Low Pass Level Controller Allows for Driver's Seat Adjustment of Bass Volume
Amplifier Type: 2-channel
RMS Power: 125W x 2 @ 4 ohms
RMS Power: 250W x 2 @ 2 ohms
Bridged RMS Power: 500W x 1 @ 4 ohms
Speaker Level Inputs: Yes
Preamp Outputs: Yes
Built-In Crossovers: HP/LP
Bass Boost: 0 - 18 dB
Frequency Response: 20-20,000 Hz

Specifically, I am wondering how to wire the speakers to the amp (if possible) and if 250 RMS would make these perform well.

If I were to only do one speaker could I wire the speaker to only 1 channel and get the 250 @ 2 ohms? Does running only one channel of the amp affect the amp?

If I were to buy 2 speakers should I bridge to get 500 @ 4 ohms or keep them on separate channels and do 250 @ 2 ohms.

I could get a different amp but am trying to use what I already have and then get a more powerful amp down the line. These tantrum amps were underrated though.

Thanks,

·
Registered
123 Posts
I run two of them off 500 and do just fine, same as you'll be sending them. You could either wire them bridged or the 250 x 2 @ 2 ohms route. Depending on which way you decide to go would determine your wiring.

If you go 250 x 2, you'll want the voice coils wired in parallel on each sub to show the 2 ohm load. If you go bridged you'll wire the voice coils in series and then the subs in parallel.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info.

Would there be any noticeable differences between running them at 4 ohms vs 2?

·
Registered
123 Posts
No. Just generally an amp will run cooler pushing a 4 ohm load, but either way you go should be relatively the same. Really if you bridge, each sub would be series wired to 8 ohms and then running them parallel would drop it back down to a 4 ohm load for the amp.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts