DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going back and forth over using tweeter pods or just trying to fit another tweeter in the stock location A pillars.

in the MK7, this case a golf, the driver side tweeter is extremely off axis. The passenger side is off axis but at a much more reasonable angle.

What shallow, 1" to 1.5" tweeter, max 25mm depth, will provide decent enough off axis response for OEM location use?

I have a pair of GB10 tweeters i am debating on using in pods, but I really want to keep a clean OEM appearance.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The GB10s should fit in the stock location, no? With all the good things I've heard about those tweeters they will definitely be a nice upgrade. Are you running off stock H/U?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well in their current state with the casing on they are far too big to go behind the a pillar. I was wondering about being able to remove the casing as there are "oem" gb10 versions out there.

I've currently not been able to find the gb10 off axis response, and was curious if there were any that were more well known that I could research. Ive been on the madisound website combing.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
The smaller the tweeter, the less important it is to put them on axis, but (typically) they won't play as low as a larger tweeter. I have a MK6 Golf, and some of those came with a Fender Audio package that has OEM A-pillar tweeters, does the MK7 have any different stereo options that you could source panels from that would eliminate the need to do any fabrication, and open up options for different sized tweeters?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The smaller the tweeter, the less important it is to put them on axis, but (typically) they won't play as low as a larger tweeter. I have a MK6 Golf, and some of those came with a Fender Audio package that has OEM A-pillar tweeters, does the MK7 have any different stereo options that you could source panels from that would eliminate the need to do any fabrication, and open up options for different sized tweeters?
Theres a dynaudio tweeter from the European trim and in the us a "fender" tweeter, no idea who makes it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Panasonic makes the fender audio speakers also the gb10 fits behind stock apillar tweeter grill just fine I have same car and had a pair there for 6 months use the mounting straps that come with them easy

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Panasonic makes the fender audio speakers also the gb10 fits behind stock apillar tweeter grill just fine I have same car and had a pair there for 6 months use the mounting straps that come with them easy
That's great to hear! How do they sound in the oem location?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you ever get the GB10s installed? Curious how they sound for you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I ended up selling the gb10s "standard" versions and found a set of gb10 "oem" versions. The oem set is just a tweeter and an abs waveguide for low profile locations.

I debating using pods, I even had some pods 3d printed that will integrate with the stock pillars but it was still more of a look I didnt want. End the end I want a totally OEM appearance.

I've got all my pieces, but I'm stuck on having enough time to install it all now. Home life and adulting etc. Thinking I may outsource the install.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts