DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever done a big 3 upgrade on a MKV Jetta or Rabbit with a 2.5L engine? I'm not sure if any of the wiring is different on the models with the 2.0T or TDI engines.

I need some clairfication on exactly where the positive terminal for the alternator is. There are two cables connceted to the positive post on the battery. One leads to the fuse box. The other leads to the circled location in the picture below. I have no idea what its connecting to but the alternator is on the other side of the engine. I looked at the alt and I 90% positive the connection in the picture goes to the alternator. I just dont know if I should terminate at the circle or directly at the alternator. If at the alt is the only solution its going to be a PIA to get to the terminal.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
you shouldn't have to worry about that misc. wire what i did was ran my power wire from the alternator to the battery(w/fuse!!) keeping all connection on the alternator and disconnected the wire running from the fuse box to battery you might get a little dimming wen you come to a stop but it doesn't hurt any thing

there might be a more proper way of doing this but i haven't had a single problem with any of the stock electronics

i would assume that the wire in the pic is for your starter

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I would just find the alternator. there is usually only a couple wires on it and the big one is the one you want to double up on. then run it straight to the battery.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The location of the alternator, and the terminal post aren't the question. The question is whats the best way to access it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I haven't done the big 3 yet on my mkv 2.5 jetta, but the the support for the air intake has a hole in it to access the positive lug on the alternator. You should be able to access it from the top of the engine. Might be easier to get to with the air intake/engine cover removed.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Dragonrage. I'll be sure to check that site out.

Blue I'll pop of the cover this afternoon and see what I can do.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nothing that wasn't self inflicted.

I have a coil-over suspension. I've had the driver side cv joint separate on me twice, both covered under warranty (Thank GOD). Further troubleshooting revealed a worn motor mount on that same side. I believe if my car was at factory ride height I wouldn't have had those issues.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts