DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Its slightly less dense as some specialty products (3/4lb compared to about a pound per square foot). But, for the price it does seem to be a decent option.

·
Registered
919 Posts
The key here is that it's at a place where most people can get their hands on it easily.

Don (Rudeboy), care to chime in? Is this even worth thinking about or are we better off looking elsewhere?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Im not an expert like Rudeboy, but I believe the object of the MLV is to create a sound 'barrier.' You want to block all the road noise ect out with this. So, the denser the better. This stuff aint the best, but it sure as hell is leaps and bounds better than that pond liner many have tried. I may have to give this stuff a try for myself...

·
Registered
919 Posts
Yeah, actually, my question is does it financially make sense. IE, the Cost per lb/sf. Does this stuff compare to the other materials available in terms of cost.

One square foot of this stuff is $0.75 for .75lb/sf
One square foot of lead sheet is $7.00 for 2.5lb/sf
What does one square foot of the other options cost and how much does it weigh per sf?

·
Registered
919 Posts
Thanks, just to put it all together:

One Square foot of SS LLP is $3.66 for 1.2lb/sf
So, you could put two layers of this, have 1.5lb/sf and still be under half the cost of the LLP. OR, for just under the cost of the LLP you could have 4 layers of this and 3lbs/sf. The only downside is probably the thickness you'll add.

What other options are people using for MLV

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Yeah, actually, my question is does it financially make sense. IE, the Cost per lb/sf. Does this stuff compare to the other materials available in terms of cost.

What does one square foot of the other options cost and how much does it weigh per sf?
If you can get "ship to store" for free, it sounds like a great deal to me. Looking at the specs (if they are accurate), it is only .75lb/sf BUT it's also only 75mil thick. That means you can double it to hit the same nominal thickness of MLV (1/8") and it then is 1.5lb/sf vs. 1.0lb/sf.

The stuff from Don is around $2.00/sf plus shipping and I think the Second Skin stuff is even more. This means (again, if the specs are accurate) you can get a denser/cheaper material than MVL in the same footprint.

Nothing is going to touch the density of lead, but it's also super expensive and toxic. Out of curiousity though, where did you get the $7.00 pricing from. Everything I have found in 2.5lbs has been double that or more.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Stupid question:

How does this adhere? I'd like to do this to my car, even if this isn't an optimal product, I'm tired of the noise floor in my car. I have a 2001 Denali, and it rides pretty quiet, but I'd like it to be quieter. With 100ft^2, I should be able to MLV most, if not all of my car.

·
jtaudioacc
1,952 Posts
If you can get "ship to store" for free, it sounds like a great deal to me. Looking at the specs (if they are accurate), it is only .75lb/sf BUT it's also only 75mil thick. That means you can double it to hit the same nominal thickness of MLV (1/8") and it then is 1.5lb/sf vs. 1.0lb/sf.

The stuff from Don is around $2.00/sf plus shipping and I think the Second Skin stuff is even more. This means (again, if the specs are accurate) you can get a denser/cheaper material than MVL in the same footprint.

Nothing is going to touch the density of lead, but it's also super expensive and toxic. Out of curiousity though, where did you get the $7.00 pricing from. Everything I have found in 2.5lbs has been double that or more.
it actually says, "free shipping" which really makes helps the price, obviously

·
Registered
1,310 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
It would be even nicer if they carried the MLV in the store, but free shipping through the web is OK too I guess.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Has anyone seen a suitable foam from these guys that would also work with this? All I've found is the super thin stuff meant to go under hardwood flooring.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Stupid question:

How does this adhere? I'd like to do this to my car, even if this isn't an optimal product, I'm tired of the noise floor in my car. I have a 2001 Denali, and it rides pretty quiet, but I'd like it to be quieter. With 100ft^2, I should be able to MLV most, if not all of my car.
You would need to use something like a spray adhesive to apply this to vertical surfaces and the roof. For the floors, there's no need to glue it down.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Has anyone seen a suitable foam from these guys that would also work with this? All I've found is the super thin stuff meant to go under hardwood flooring.
Try http://www.thefoamfactory.com/

It has some of the better pricing I've found and shipping is pretty cheap since foam is very light. Look under "Closed Cell Foam". Volara is what Raammat sells. I personally prefer the gymnastic rubber since it maintains performance after long periods of compression.

·
Premium Member
3,855 Posts
I get everything from foam factory

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Stupid question:

Gorilla Tape (super strong Duct Tape) works great for vertical surfaces. It will hold fine but is easily removable. Just tape the entire perimiter.

I have never bothered trying to put MLV on my roof. There is very little noise transmission there that can't be attenuated using a couple pieces of CLD and some foam. Just my .02, but it's coming from a guy who has lined his front doors with lead and foam-filled the entire chassis. :eek:

·
Registered
564 Posts
What kinda foam do you use on your roof? Only wondering cause I'd be wary of putting foam directly above the dome lights, not sure how much heat the stuff can withstand. Probably okay unless you use some really cheap crap.

·
Premium Member
3,855 Posts
armaflex sells some foam insulating tape in the HVAC section that I have used for many purposes including roof.

I wouldnt put anything right next to a light, Id leave at least an inch of space if possible. but its made for hvac systems so it prob could withstand heat from a dome light

1 - 20 of 151 Posts