DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here they are!!! :D

First impression is that they look much better in person than in the pictures I have seen online... On Mmats site they have a smooth grey-ish look to them, but they are actually a textured black.

The covers can be flipped with the four allen bolts, so the logos face the same direction if you need to reverse them.

These are the Hifi6150 and the M2000.2:

I have had multiple emails with the president of the company, David Thompson, and he has been very quick to respond and extremely helpful. He even had the SoCal Director of Sales contact me to offer his help if I were to need it and to makes sure that "I had a good experience ordering through my local dealer..."

So far I am very impressed with the company and I can't wait to get these amps installed!!!

Catalog PDF:
https://www.mmatsproaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/MMats2017catalognewest.pdf

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Nice. Can you take a close up of the speaker connector of the 6150? That’s the only criticism I can come up with, everything else looks great on those amps.

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,003 Posts
I hope you enjoy your amplifiers as much as I enjoyed mine!

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice. Can you take a close up of the speaker connector of the 6150? That’s the only criticism I can come up with, everything else looks great on those amps.
Sure thing, here ya go... That is probably my least favorite feature, but I guess it's kind of nice to be able to unplug speaker wires really quick without mixing them up.

Btw, I did just pull one out and they are super tight. I'd say it will take a 14 gauge wire comfortably.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I forgot to mention that the logo is engraved (or whatever you call that CNC thingy) into the aluminum, it's not just a sticker or plastic logo.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sure thing, here ya go... That is probably my least favorite feature, but I guess it's kind of nice to be able to unplug speaker wires really quick without mixing them up.

Btw, I did just pull one out and they are super tight. I'd say it will take a 14 gauge wire comfortably.

I actually like phoenix connectors like that over set screws for speakers. Especially with the prevalence of CCA wire its less likely to break in terminals like that without having to use ferrules.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Agree with the OP. My exterience with MMATS has been top notch.
Right from pre-purchase when I was asking them a lot of questions, to their hassle free delivery to Canada.

The amps are solid. I've had mine for a couple years now. No issues (other than I just replaced the fans in both of them).
When the amps are new, the fans are dead silent. But after about 6 months, they start to get noisey.

The process to replace the fans is moronically simple: https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/how-articles-provided-our-members/423429-mmats-amplifier-how-replace-noisy-fan.html

I like how they don't fuck around... and just use a power block as the speaker output on their mono sub amps!
Effectively, you could whack a 4awg pair of cables in there, and use them for speaker wire!
4awg speaker wire...

The speaker blocks can take up to 12awg (tested and verified). I've never had one pull out. They're in there tight.
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Agree with the OP. My exterience with MMATS has been top notch.
Right from pre-purchase when I was asking them a lot of questions, to their hassle free delivery to Canada.

The amps are solid. I've had mine for a couple years now. No issues (other than I just replaced the fans in both of them).
When the amps are new, the fans are dead silent. But after about 6 months, they start to get noisey.

The process to replace the fans is moronically simple: https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/how-articles-provided-our-members/423429-mmats-amplifier-how-replace-noisy-fan.html

I like how they don't fuck around... and just use a power block as the speaker output on their mono sub amps!
For sure, it's beefy!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Just wanted to update my post above...
I went out to my garage this morning, and tested the speaker block on my MMATS amp.
It'll take a 12awg wire.

Same block is used on the HiFi-6150 and the HiFi-4250.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went out to my garage this morning, and tested the speaker block on my MMATS amp.
It'll take a 12awg wire.

Good to know, thanks! The Mmats website does claim it will fit up to a 12 gauge, too...

I'm using 14 gauge on my speakers now, but 12 on my subs (which obviously won't be an issue with the M2000.2

On a different note
IMHO, the Hifi6150 is a nearly perfect one amp solution for a 2way and sub with great ouput!
4 x 150 Watts RMS @ 4 ohms + 1000 Watts RMS @ 1 ohm mono
And it's small enough to fit in most installs.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Wow, thats a lot of power in a super small chassis. Might have to try class D next install. Thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Amp looks nice! Congrats on the new beats but question for ya. Where are the fuses on these amps? Are they internal?
Thanks!

External. I'm gonna use 80 amp...

Internal pic off of website:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Gotcha. So the only fuse that will offer protection for these amps would be your in-line fuse?

Guess I'm so used to seeing amps with fuses attached to the amps somewhere on the chassis of the amp itself.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It'll take a 12awg wire.

What kind of fuses are using??

·
Registered
23 Posts
What kind of fuses are using??
I'm assuming this question was for me. I have an Arc 1200.6, the amp has 3 on-board 30 amp fuses.......I don't see any on-board fuses on Matts amps so that's what I was asking about.

I also have mini anl fuses at the +ve battery post connection and also at my distro block but this wasn't what i was inquiring about, was about the onboard fuses on the amp itself.

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
It'll take a 12awg wire.

I can concur. Using 12awg Blue Jeans Spaeker Cable with my HiFi-4250.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm assuming this question was for me. I have an Arc 1200.6, the amp has 3 on-board 30 amp fuses.......I don't see any on-board fuses on Matts amps so that's what I was asking about.

I also have mini anl fuses at the +ve battery post connection and also at my distro block but this wasn't what i was inquiring about, was about the onboard fuses on the amp itself.
Well, it was actually meant for JimmyDee as he already has these amps... I'm trying figure out what style fuses I am gonna use. They might be visible on my amp rack, so they need to look pretty good. :D

·
Registered
563 Posts
You could use a fused distribution block like the KnuKonceptz Bassik 3-way. You can also just go without one. It isn't necessary. The amp has a protection mode that will cut it off if it surges. The fuse is for the wire, which you already have at your battery. So as long as the run of your wire from distro block to amp can handle the amperage of the fuse at the battery you are fine.

For example, you fused at your battery 200A for a 20' run of 1/0 but you use 4ga from block to amp. While 4ga couldn't handle 200a on a 20' run, it could handle it on a 3' run. So another fuse on the 4ga line is not necessary in this case. But if you have a 300A fuse at the battery, then you'd want a lower amp fuse on the 3' run of 4ga.

Bassik 3 Way 0 to 0 - 4 Gauge High Current Fuse Distribution Block - Merchandise

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
Well, it was actually meant for JimmyDee as he already has these amps... I'm trying figure out what style fuses I am gonna use. They might be visible on my amp rack, so they need to look pretty good. :D
Be a man and go with MAXIpad fuses:D:laugh:

I used those in my distro for years and prefer them to be honest. Still use one under the hood. Only using AGU fuses now because I needed a new block to replace my 10 y/o MAXI one and the one given to me takes AGU fuses.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts