DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of Mobile Dynamics, it's a car audio school. Web Site :
http://www.mobiledynamics.com/main/enter.html

I've been kinda thinking about getting into the business since most shops around here are shit. I'm wondering if this is a good school or is it a waste of money? I signed up for their brochure and today they called me asking me if I'm interested in attending. Seems kinda interesting.

Thanks,

Ryan

·
Registered
693 Posts
about 3 or 4 years ago i was looking into going to the phoenix campus. a friend of mine has a shop out there and wanted me to go to work for him. there wasnt enough money in it to get me to quit my current job.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
IMO, if your plan is to run a business, you'd be better served by taking a business course. I've known a few people who are damned good installers, could work wonders with fiberglass, did all kinds of work under the table and made some good dough doing it, and when they finally set up a shop it flopped almost immediately.

A few years back I came across a great post in rec.audio.car (usenet) by a guy named Eddie Runner who owns River Oaks Car Stereo about starting a car audio business. There's a lot more to running one than you may think.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think I'd start my own business yet... I'd have to get a partner with money and who is good at making money. Most local shops don't really offer any custom installations, just the basic Circuit City & Best Buy crap. I'm just wondering if anyone knows anything about this particular school. I know installers don't make a whole lot but it's gotta be somewhat better or more rewarding what I do now (I work the front desk of a hotel).

Ryan

·
Registered
242 Posts
i went in the fall of 05, the staff is great and the teach you a lot of the tech. about 12 volt but barely any actull install expierence, lots of people left with out even knowing how to install a basic alarm. hope that helps :)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
septimus said:
i went in the fall of 05, the staff is great and the teach you a lot of the tech. about 12 volt but barely any actull install expierence, lots of people left with out even knowing how to install a basic alarm. hope that helps :)
Was that the student's fault or the school's fault? The web page states they have tons of hands on experiance (building kick panels, boxes, etc)... I'm really tempted to go but it's a risk. I don't like to waste money let alone $6000 that might not get me any experiance to make that cash back + a career.

Does anyone know about the Home Audio part of the school? Is that area in demand for installers?

Ryan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts