DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone...i want to introduce myself..my names keith...i have been installing for the better part of 20 years (i am 35 now)...mostly deck two/four or basic amp and box setups, alarms for friends...i was, at one time, RTTI and Clifford alarm certified....i worked at a shop when i was 21 for a year and a half but never got into fabrication until recently on my own car...you guys have a great forum filled with great people and i am learning more from you guys every day...thanks for giving me some passion to get back into something i used to love to do...

here is my modest build in my 97 coupe...my aim was to keep my trunk functional...something basic that sounded good playing any kind of music...my musical tastes range from CCR to John Digweed to Kings of Leon to Too short...

i started with the tweeters...they eclipse tweeter from 8062 component set...and of course i fried one recently...grrr...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kept amp simple and out of the way...its a rockford fosgate 551x nice little four channel amp 4 x 70 watts....built a false floor and covered it with thin foam so things wont slide around in my trunk...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
relocated my kenwood kdc v7017 flip face deck to the lower spot and wanted a pocket where the deck was...perfect spot for my phone and CDs...first one was temporary until i came up with a game plan...

not perfect...better than what i had previously...i am going to track down a honda pocket and redo it...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cheapie crossfire coaxes holding space until i get the juevos to do put my eclipse 6.5s in either the door or kicks...open for suggestions or pics of what other people have done...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
up next is to fix a couple of zits on the subwoofer box and get it covered with carpet of some sort...upgrade my deck...and find a home for my eclipse 6.5s...more pictures up later this week of my progress... :)

·
Registered
951 Posts
Agreed. Those pillars look awesome. Do you still have easy access to your spare? The floor looks sealed over the tire, but it might be the pic playing a trick on me. It looks like you are off to a great start. I'm digging the stealth.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It looks good, especially the pillars!!
Agreed. Those pillars look awesome. Do you still have easy access to your spare? The floor looks sealed over the tire, but it might be the pic playing a trick on me. It looks like you are off to a great start. I'm digging the stealth.

thanks...it was my second attempt at the pillars...the first ones came out ugly...i had to make my own cups for the tweeter...and find something thinner than a t-shirt to redo them...i think they came out good too...

and yes...i can get to the spare...the entire trunk floor comes out in two pieces very easily...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
in all my years of doing this...putting on carpet or stretching vinyl has always been something i am not very good at...that box has ALOT of contours to it...i am not looking forward to it...i need to find a nice stretchy thickish fabric to cover it...i was thinking a dark grey microfiber...but i dont think its thick enough...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so lets get started on the door panels while i wait for my order from us composites...

i covered the stock grills in masking tape, foil, then panty hose, then fiberglass...i got a perfect thin mold of the stock grill...i am going to reinforce from the rear when my order gets here...my goal was to make myself as little finishing work as possible...i hate sanding and filling...plus i wanted those stock lines and looks for my goal of keeping things low profile...

covered foiled and stretched...

wet...

dry and peeled...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Subscribed! Looks good so far. I need to get mine finished quick as the temps are dropping.
same here...but i am sure it doesnt get as cold here as it does up north...

my order from us composites should be here tomorrow...i got my replacement tweeters from a fellow DIY member...so thats on the list now too...it will be nice to have matching tweeters...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
as you can tell i work slow...between drinking beer, work, dodger baseball and drinking beer and being lazy i dont have much time :) But i do think working at this pace and not being rushed helps me make better decisions when it comes to this...i work in a hospital so i think on my feet all day long...

i made a template of the outside of the speaker so i would know exactly how much to hack up the door and to also position the speaker in the best spot for said hack...

i ended up only losing one of the three screws that hold the panel to the door and was able to keep the stock speaker cover...my low profileness continues...

i'd say thats an upgrade...chuck d's voice will finally have some authority...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Good call taking a logical approach. I kind of just eyeballed it and went at it with the dremel. So there was lots of dicking around that could have been avoided. I should have some new pics of mine by next week hopefully.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts