DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just wanted to show off my install. It's been years since I even thought about car audio. I got back into it because I needed to make my soccer mom van interesting to drive, also because the oem equipment was unimpressive. I have a Pioneer 2660, for amps I have an R.F. punch400x4 and a jbl gtx500, but I am swapping it for a punch500x1 when ever I get around to it, it's sitting in the garage. I bought the mono R.F. so I could use my second sub, the jbl will power both but I have to turn up the boost, hopefully I won't have to use much of the boost with the rockford, also I am very happy with the four channel. As for speakers I have kappa 5.25 components, 6x8 coaxes and 8" subs. I am pretty happy with the way this turned out the sound is excellent as far as my ears can tell, I listen to Spotify set to high quality and my car sounds better then my home system, although my home system consists of entry-level Sony receiver and Polk speakers I was still surprised that the car sounded better. When I put the new amp in I plan to paint the sub boxes, and add a speaker cabinet post terminal to the cargo panel so I can unplug one or both of the subs when I want to use the cargo area. I would appreciate suggestions, ideas or even criticism. Thanks for viewing.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,024 Posts
Welcome and thanks for sharing... I bet that thing cranks...!

Reactions: LimpCroissaint

·
Registered
326 Posts
Nice man, looks good! I like your idea of putting teriminals of the side panel, that'll be cool. Be very very careful when using bass boost though my friend. It's kind of a death trap for subs. Basically your amp can only put out so much power and you adjust that with the gain. For example if you have the gain set for maximum unclipped power, then using the bass boost even turned to 1 db will bring the amp into clipping and send a nasty signal to your sub that is damaging. There's few instances where bass boost can be used in a beneficial, clean way, but if you do use any bass boost make sure to keep your gain adjustment in mind. They work in unison. So if you turn your bass boost up, you need to turn your gain down. If you put a multmeter on the speaker outputs and measure voltage you'll see what I mean. Nice install though, that box looks well built!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the compliments. My plan for the sub was for a small sealed enclosure and to overpower it, so I didn't have to use any boost. This is how it is right now with a single woofer. Unfortunately the kappa8 sounded so musical, tight and right on the verge of solid, I bought a second. But the 500w jbl amp I have doesn't do enough with two woofers without using the bass boost. So I set my mind on getting something with 500,750w 4-2 or 2-1 ohm. This way I can set the woofer selection 2 or 4 ohm and when I pull one for cargo space I'm still pushing the other nicely. So hopefully these Rockford birth sheets are accurate, it's hard to tell with my four channel, but it will be obvious with the mono amp if I'm pushing 500w or 740 like the birth sheet says. Those boxes I built are bunkers 3/4" mdf with double baffle for 8"s. What does everyone think about stuffing the box? My boxes are built to spec, I have stuffing and I'm going to give it a listen anyway I'm just looking for thoughts. I've read that the sub will play deeper but you loose spl, any thoughts? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Rockfords specs on the birth certificate or whatever you want to call it are indeed accurate. Since the box is built to spec adding poly will kind of just be a preference thing. Well it always is I suppose but ya people like to use it especially when their box is a little undersized. I use it quite a bit. Not to make up for size but I think it's made a couple of my subs have a little bit of a deeper sound. Give it a try! It's a nice cheap experiment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts