DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

have two Dayton RSS265HO-4 in a sealed enclosure and looking for amp suggestions. Something along the lines of 1200w @ 2ohms. I had a PPI I1000.4 bridged to 2 x 4ohm and the little guy could't hold on. That was the test to see if it could do it and it can't. Did not go into protect, but got super hot and smelled like cooking electrical. I actually did see real smoke so it has been disconnected and a paypal dispute is under way for shade tree fleabay sellers 3 yr warranty. So now I am running off a 2 channel Sony amp which doesn't have enough power for two, does good with one bridged to 4 ohms but 8 ohms bridge on two is no bueno. Stock alternator so efficiency, class D would be good plus smaller foot print will help. can squeeze good size in as long as it 2" or under in height.

Watched Big D vids, did google searches and can't make up my mind. Don't want to blow a ton of money and/or purchase a POS. I would say the $250 max range, any more than that and it will be the most expensive piece in the truck. I had the Rockville RXM-T2 ready to go then backed out, since I would have to run it in stereo. Wolfram has high regards but not in stock or too expensive. Sound Qubed was also looked at along with at Taramps and NVX . Just can't decide, and not too scared of going used if the price is right.
Whatcha think?

thanks for your time

·
Registered
7,739 Posts
Not too familiar with none of the boutique brand amps coming out recently although I do watch a lot of amp dyno videos. I tend to stick with the more common players for my own builds with JBL being one of my budget favorites. Not expensive, but definitely not bottom of the barrel... JBL mono amps are usually quite underrated and built stoutly.

NVX is another company that has really been impressive with their amps for the cost it seems. Shared a couple of early designs, but has been innovative since. I'm sure there's several others to look at.

Be sure that you're getting the optimal wattage needed at 2 ohm. Lot of amps these days are maxing at 1 ohm and might shortchange what you're looking for at 2, but to be honest, 800 rms or so on the set should still net good output.

Man & Machine... Power Extreme!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a BP 300.1 and then the 600.1 which was the last new amp I bought before the i1000.4. Sold them both on offer up for peanuts along with a bunch of other amps that I had accumulated. Still run old amps that I pick up cheap but mono amps with good power , I haven'y had much luck. One sub bridged on a Sony was about 480w and plenty of power. So yea 800-1200 should be fine as I always ended up turning down the gain anyway. The little ppi was rated at around 400 x 2, i think, and turned the gain down on that as well. Figure as inexpensive as these new amps are, if one is decent quality and sounds good, might as well go for the output. The dyno's tell what the amp puts out, but they could sound like total garbage.

·
Registered
7,739 Posts
I had a BP 300.1 and then the 600.1 which was the last new amp I bought before the i1000.4. Sold them both on offer up for peanuts along with a bunch of other amps that I had accumulated. Still run old amps that I pick up cheap but mono amps with good power , I haven'y had much luck. One sub bridged on a Sony was about 480w and plenty of power. So yea 800-1200 should be fine as I always ended up turning down the gain anyway. The little ppi was rated at around 400 x 2, i think, and turned the gain down on that as well. Figure as inexpensive as these new amps are, if one is decent quality and sounds good, might as well go for the output. The dyno's tell what the amp puts out, but they could sound like total garbage.
I agree on how they could sound. The amp dyno tests only give clues to who is lying, but very little on how the rest of the circuitry stacks up. That's why I stick to the more common brands. Had a JBL 300.1 too. Also a BP1200.1.... that amp was SOLID, both were. Ironically, the 1200.1 is what I pushed the dual HO 10" with. Heck of a combo!

I run Alpine PDX now and the V9 pushes a single HO very well although the sub has plenty of use. Before that I used a JBL MS-A5001. The MS-A had some balls, really put the muscle to the HO especially down low. The PPI iONs I've installed in a couple of cars and they're not bad for the money. Of course, I don't think the power supply in such a small case can be that stout so they're probably best left in an amp power to speaker handling ratio where they have more than what's needed in order to have some longevity.

Maybe someone will have a used amp that appeals to you and will give you a good deal.

·
Registered
146 Posts
How about the kicker 12CX1200.1

I'm getting the 800w version for my sub

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is discontinued and more than I want to spend 249 for a refurb, The newer CXA is 349, if I see a used one pop up for a steal will grab it, did rated on the dyno.

·
Registered
7,739 Posts
JBL it is, just ordered the GTR-1001. Appears to be Same amp as the Infinity Kappa K1000 which did good on the dyno. They both have good reviews and the price is right. They even have a refurb for 20 bux less.

JBL GTR-1001 Mono 1,000W Subwoofer Amplifier 50036313261 | eBay
That's a great deal for the power. The way the sibling Infinity amp tests, I'd say you're looking at a current design of the famed BP1200.1. Very similar power output including being highly underrated.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea man, browsed through JBL mono amps looking for gut shots and didn't see too many. Now I am wondering how many variations of the same amp there actually are? The Club 1KW looks the same with a different dress on. Then the Stadium appears to be similar in size. Don't know how far into this I will go but the wheels are turning.

·
Registered
7,739 Posts
JBL has changed over the years. There used to be a clear distinction between each series, but lately there's some bleed-thru between some lines.

I opted for GX series speakers for my daughter and sister since they tested decently and can be had rather cheap because they're heavily discounted now that they're discontinued. However, a few other series sets now seem to share very similar tweeters (if not the same), midwoofers with slight changes, etc. There's a few outside of those low to mid tiers that don't share anything, but I suppose they're making sure to offer something for each level.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I used a Soundqubed s1-1250 on my dual "ported" ho10's. It had zero problems pushing those drivers. If you could somehow, someway run those drivers ported then you would take a load off of your amp and do those HO's some justice.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was looking at the sound qubed, the JBL was around the same price.
How much airspace we talking with two HO’s 1.40 cu ft and port size and legth?
I had one HO ported in .7 tuned to low 30 +- stuffed behind the rear seat of a Tacoma DC. Took one of Bayboy’s suggestions and replaced the ported with a .35 cuft sealed and was much happier. Liked it so much I put two in .7 box for shits and giggles. Takes up same space as one ported minus the big ass port, and sounds way tighter sealed, not as boomy.
Looking forward to getting some power to the pair and seeing the expression on my sons face. He will probably be getting the truck next year.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was looking at the sound qubed, the JBL was around the same price.
How much airspace we talking with two HO’s 1.40 cu ft and port size and legth?
I had one HO ported in .7 tuned to low 30 +- stuffed behind the rear seat of a Tacoma DC. Took one of Bayboy’s suggestions and replaced the ported with a .35 cuft sealed and was much happier. Liked it so much I put two in .7 box for shits and giggles. Takes up same space as one ported minus the big ass port, and sounds way tighter sealed, not as boomy.
Looking forward to getting some power to the pair and seeing the expression on my sons face. He will probably be getting the truck next year.
My enclosure was 1.7 cu ft w/port sized at 2 x 8 x 22 tuned around 32hz. I first ran a single sealed and then a single ported. Purchased another driver and built a dual ported. Sounded really smooth but, just didn't have the bottom end I was looking for.

FYI, I had it installed in a sedan trunk. Your application in a truck will yield different results for sure.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can see in a trunk how ported would be the way to go. My wife wouldn’t be too happy riding in th bed of the truck with a big ported box taking up the back seat while the boy and I jam in the front. I have a big ported box in the garage with two DLS 10” in it tuned low 30’s. May just have to try it out lol

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am running 2 of the RSS265HO-4 with 2 of their passives in a 1.4-1.5 cu ft box tuned to 24hz , driving them with an Alpine PDX-M12 (1200W rms @ 2 ohm and 4 ohm) and it absolutely pounds.

It's the most impressive setup i have heard and felt , i am amazed every time i turn it up that they are only 10" drivers , but as you know they are built like tanks and are very heavy.

No boominess just tight chest pounding bass , very low distortion , covers all the bass frequencies very well , not missing any frequencies.

I highly recommend the PDX-M12 if you can afford it , not the cheapest but worth it , very compact , cool running (after hard extended sessions the amp is barely warm) and pushes my subs to their limits , very efficient with lots of grunt.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am running 2 of the RSS265HO-4 with 2 of their passives in a 1.4-1.5 cu ft box tuned to 24hz , driving them with an Alpine PDX-M12 (1200W rms @ 2 ohm and 4 ohm) and it absolutely pounds.

It's the most impressive setup i have heard and felt , i am amazed every time i turn it up that they are only 10" drivers , but as you know they are built like tanks and are very heavy.

No boominess just tight chest pounding bass , very low distortion , covers all the bass frequencies very well , not missing any frequencies.

I highly recommend the PDX-M12 if you can afford it , not the cheapest but worth it , very compact , cool running (after hard extended sessions the amp is barely warm) and pushes my subs to their limits , very efficient with lots of grunt.
What type of vehicle is your sub setup in (suv, truck, car)?

Yes my dual HO's sounded nice but, just didn't have the low end grunt I was looking for. I switched to an IncriminatorAudio 12" ported and am happier for the moment? Might try the Dayton's again when my AF speakers show and I get them installed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It's a hyundai I30 wagon , in the US an elantra touring , i think the Daytons need the power behind them to give good output.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts