DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Absolutely love the simplicity and cleanliness of this install! I'm looking at doing something similar in my Toyota 4Runner. What are your impressions of the Sundown SD3 subwoofers? They look like a great option, and they are certainly one that I have considered. I'd like to do something like your false floor, but I am also constrained by space. Thanks in advance.

Matt
Glad to hear it, thanks. The SD-3's are a great option considering their price point and build quality. I think they have very good output and can play with authority but also blend quite well with the midbass. I'm also a big fan of Sundown in general because when I've had an issue, their customer service has been fantastic.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
What are the chances of getting these photos re-posted (or emailed to me). Interested in the speaker, amp, wiring installation to develop a plan myself.

EDIT: Found the album. Ignore me... ;)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
What are the chances of getting these photos re-posted (or emailed to me). Interested in the speaker, amp, wiring installation to develop a plan myself.

EDIT: Found the album. Ignore me... ;)

Let me know if there is something specific that you are looking for that isn’t in the later album and I’ll see what else I have. Happy to assist with any questions if it helps whatever you are working on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Hey man let me ask you a question about the factory signal.

I went to do a little experimentation with the center channel speaker and noticed a couple things. (1) when it’s dosxonnected, fade to front, it’s as if the door components (factory at this point) are not getting a full signal. The sound is very empty. I also connected and temp mounted a side of my Focal speakers in the door and still, empty like it’s not getting a full range signal. Only the tweeter was crossed over. The mid (factory or Focal) sounds like it’s missing like the whole middle of the spectrum (2) if I reverse the polarity of the center channel, I actually get a center image where as when the wiring is factory polarity the image is hard left it seems. This is the only reason I’m even bothering with the stereo in this thing because it’s got such an awful center image for a stereo equipped with a center speaker. But you’d think the door speakers are getting a full range signal but it sure doesn’t sound like it. Any similar experiences? I didn’t have the ability where I was to do a rough mic RTA with pink noise to confirm but, dang, this factory signal makes no damn sense. The rear doors get full range clear as day and that severely pulls the sound back, too, especially after putting in my Focal coaxials back there already. I’m confused...

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Hey man let me ask you a question about the factory signal.

I went to do a little experimentation with the center channel speaker and noticed a couple things. (1) when it’s dosxonnected, fade to front, it’s as if the door components (factory at this point) are not getting a full signal. The sound is very empty. I also connected and temp mounted a side of my Focal speakers in the door and still, empty like it’s not getting a full range signal. Only the tweeter was crossed over. The mid (factory or Focal) sounds like it’s missing like the whole middle of the spectrum (2) if I reverse the polarity of the center channel, I actually get a center image where as when the wiring is factory polarity the image is hard left it seems. This is the only reason I’m even bothering with the stereo in this thing because it’s got such an awful center image for a stereo equipped with a center speaker. But you’d think the door speakers are getting a full range signal but it sure doesn’t sound like it. Any similar experiences? I didn’t have the ability where I was to do a rough mic RTA with pink noise to confirm but, dang, this factory signal makes no damn sense. The rear doors get full range clear as day and that severely pulls the sound back, too, especially after putting in my Focal coaxials back there already. I’m confused...
I did an RTA measurement of the speaker wires exiting the amp and found that there was a significant cut in the midrange frequencies when summing only 6x9's in the doors and the tweets in the sail panels. I wish that I had a picture of that reading, it was before any of the fab work started, but as I remember it 900-1k were down more than 12 db from the surrounding frequencies. It seemed initially like a chunk of the frequency spectrum was missing What we saw was that the door mids were appeared to be EQ'd to suck out a lot of the midrange which was being carried by the center channel. There is a full range signal to be had from just the 6x9 and tweeter wiring in the front doors but it requires a lot of correction prior to amplification if those will be your only sources. The JL Fix that I had been using at the time was able to show on the graph that those frequencies where there, but it also showed just how low they were in relation to the rest of the spectrum prior to the correction (The amber line in the pic below.)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lsEk26SljoqjHAjk-5JUzpKIi8efr7go/view?usp=sharing

You could either look at some type of signal correction device or you could bypass the factory amp all together and get a clean signal from the preamp of the UConnect, which it turns out is actually very nice. The Pac AmpPro is what I chose, I have seen others who have spliced into the CANBUS, grab the preamp signal out and made their own RCA's to run to the back but you do lose volume control on the radio that way.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Great, that confirms what I am hearing, then. How f'ing annoying. I have a bit One which apparently will flatten the signal it gets but it's not as intuitive in doing so as the RF 360.3 was (literally showed me the corrections it made to start with a flat signal).

I have that AmpPRO doo-dad coming, but I was half hoping to avoid $250 freakin' dollars to snag a reasonable signal. But, I suppose I'd rather not have to attenuate surrounding frequencies from this goofy dip just to have a clean flat signal.

Man, the way Dodge set up this stereo's output really ticks me off. I swear I have never heard a car stereo with a center channel sound so blatantly off-center in my life.

Thanks for the insight. I was sitting there scratching my head wondering WTF was going on...

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Excellent work describing your process in the Durango. I'm curious if you still have it now.

Thanks. I still have the Durango but it was returned back to stock. It’s now the family hauler and the keys reside in my wife’s purse. I’ve moved on to a Chrysler 300s and another build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

61 - 68 of 68 Posts