DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2014 VW CC Sport
1,515 Posts
As the title says. Lets use CT Sounds subs as a an example. Would you be better served running 3.2k watts into one Exo 12, rated at 3k/6k, 2k watts to two meso 8’s at 800 / 1600, or say 1500 watts into two tropo 18”s at 650 rms/1300max? For volume and sound quality, are we better served by less watts and more cone or visa versa?
Mark
That ct sub is way overpriced! Holy crap they really do think their stuff is good 😳😂

It only has 20mm xmax which isn’t a whole bunch

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Typically cone area (displacement) rules, so four 8's would get you more area, but might not go as low as the two 10's... unfortunately, car audio is all a compromise. What type of vehicle is this going in, truck, car with a trunk or a hatchback?
A jeep gladiator, I have 2 meso 6.5s going in individual ported boxes all under the rear seat delete I’m building from .75 MDF. But I know me, and am contemplating the BRP sealed box for either four 8’s or 2 10’s. If I go that your with BRP I’ll also be dealing with a 4.5” mounting depth limit, unless I spacer rings or another top plate.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I'm certainly no Jeep expert, but it sounds like you are only interested in a sub setup. Personally, I would recommend the 10's just because they will dig deeper and Jeeps are notoriously noisy.
No, I’m upgrading all. Meso 6.5” 3 way up front, meso 6.5” 2 way for the sound bar pushed by a 4x 150.

does music prefrence matter? I’m a death metal / metal core guy with old school hip hop and modern EDM sprinkled in. Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
As the title says. Lets use CT Sounds subs as a an example. Would you be better served running 3.2k watts into one Exo 12, rated at 3k/6k, 2k watts to two meso 8’s at 800 / 1600, or say 1500 watts into two tropo 18”s at 650 rms/1300max? For volume and sound quality, are we better served by less watts and more cone or visa versa?
Mark
There is no either/or answer, because everything comes into play, from every parameter, because you can't separate T/S parameters, even though some people may focus on xmax, or qts, as though they're separate from everything else ... to the listening environment, and even down to humidity, everything plays a role! As well as cone size, have you considered the differing cone materials and the effect that has?

Simplistic answers should be left to simpletons.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
There is no either/or answer, because everything comes into play, from every parameter, because you can't separate T/S parameters, even though some people may focus on xmax, or qts, as though they're separate from everything else ... to the listening environment, and even down to humidity, everything plays a role! As well as cone size, have you considered the differing cone materials and the effect that has?

Simplistic answers should be left to simpletons.
And duche answers should be left for the people impressed by duchebagery…. I think its a fair question to wanna know, generally speaking is money better spent on more watts or bigger subs. Thanks for your concern for this simpleton though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Oh dear, things at DIYMA, have really gone downhill, when stating facts, backed up by science is called

All the best with your singular approach to a complex calculation
No, you get called that when you insult someone's intelligence by calling them simple for asking a non technical question. and you have no Idea what my approach is, you only know what my question was. It's easily answerable in the general scope, as many other commenters have shown.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
No, you get called that when you insult someone's intelligence by calling them simple for asking a non technical question. and you have no Idea what my approach is, you only know what my question was. It's easily answerable in the general scope, as many other commenters have shown.
It's not "easily answerable" and has been mentioned many times in your thread. You've just chosen to ignore all technical information that would definitively answer your question.

This is like asking "What's faster? The V6 car or the V8 car?" and ignoring all other parameters which lead to an actual, correct, answer.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts