DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of Elate Carbon Pro 52, i was thinking thinking about adding the Carbon MM3 and going active 3 way.
Morel speakers take crazy amounts of wattage with the Alto tweet clocking in at 220w [email protected] ohm, midrange and woofer around 160w rms @4 ohm each.
I have a chance to buy a JL VX800/8i for a very nice price, was thinking bridging 4 channels of it to get 200 watts x2 for the tweet then run the midrange and woofer off the remaining channels @75w a piece.

Question is since the mid and the woofer are not covering anywhere near their frequency range can i get away with basically halving the recommended wattage of these speakers? the tweeter will still cover the lion's share of the response from about 3.5k up so i thought to put the most wattage on them as they can easily take it. Is this sound logic or am i way off on this?

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im no expert but I think you want more wattage for the midbass and less for tweeters.
ya i get it seems backwards lol, my reasoning behind it was if the woofer needs 160w to span its freq response on 40-7khz maybe i could get away with sending it far less when it's only going to 400hz or so in the 3way setup. i have sent 200 watts to each tweeter and woofer before in an active 2 way but the woofer was covering quite a bit of range somewhere around 3.5-4khz. in this setup the tweeter will still be covering roughly the same spread as the 2 way. idk like i said i am probably way off here :)

· Registered
160 Posts
I'm running active 3 way. Zapco 150.6lx currently powering. Morel Mt 350 tweets, morel cdm 880 mids and hybrid audio x6 mibass.
I had to drop my tweeters fish 20 dB each in my dsp to match the midbass output.
I'll be replacing the 6 cudgel with a zero 4 running the tweets and mids then a zero 3 for the midbass.
But I've only been into this hobby for 3 years now and some stuff still confuses me.
I'm super happy with the active 3 way up front.

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very nice setup. i have a Mosconi 200.4 running the 52a set currently with a 300.2 bridged running 2 12'' ultimo ti subs. don't really care for the audiocontrol dsp but got a decent deal on it. when this JL amp came up for sale i thought it would be nice to have it power the 3 way and get rid of the ac dsp. would rather subtract gear then add another amp to the trunk and more wiring.

· Registered
93 Posts
Yeah, you’ll want to bridge for midwoofers. And lave the tweeters an mid range with regular power. For a number of reasons: efficiency of speakers (tweeters and mm3 are more efficient),Human ear sensitivity to high frequency sounds, speaker placement axis versus non axis, height etc. last but not least frequency wavelengths and car dynamics (with midbass having nulls in cars).

· Registered
160 Posts
Very nice setup. i have a Mosconi 200.4 running the 52a set currently with a 300.2 bridged running 2 12'' ultimo ti subs. don't really care for the audiocontrol dsp but got a decent deal on it. when this JL amp came up for sale i thought it would be nice to have it power the 3 way and get rid of the ac dsp. would rather subtract gear then add another amp to the

trunk and more wiring.
I almost got the morel subs. Went with the adire audio brahma 12s . I'm into them.

· Registered
10,775 Posts
ya i get it seems backwards lol, my reasoning behind it was if the woofer needs 160w to span its freq response on 40-7khz maybe i could get away with sending it far less when it's only going to 400hz or so in the 3way setup. i have sent 200 watts to each tweeter and woofer before in an active 2 way but the woofer was covering quite a bit of range somewhere around 3.5-4khz. in this setup the tweeter will still be covering roughly the same spread as the 2 way. idk like i said i am probably way off here :)
Yeah, you are way off, haha.

A tweeter, even one that is rated to take 200 watts only need about 5 watts to get to good listening levels, you defintely do not want to waste the amp channels on tweeters that will be only using 10 watts when pushed hard.

A speakers power rating has nothing to do with how much power a speaker needs, a speaker doesn't need any power. The rating is how much it can handle, and 200 watts on a pair of tweeters would be so uncomfortably loud that noone would want to sit in a car with that going on.

Power isn't spread out the way you think. The bulk of the power is going to the low frequencies with higher frequencies requiring much less power. So, the power consumption difference between a speaker playing 40hz-7khz and one playing 40hz-400hz isn't that big because the amount of power between 400hz-7khz is less than the power needed for 40hz-400hz. Also, those are 5.25" mids, they are not going to play anywhere near 40hz. You'll want to high pass them around 100hz.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.