DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3 Way Morel Elate set that I have and before doing anything, I'd like to keep my options open. So, on to the questions.

1.) Can anyone comment on the difference in sound of the Mt-23's and Supremo/Piccolo Tweeters?

2.) Will running a Supremo/Piccolo Tweeter to the set (in replacement for the mt-23's) be of a big difference if I'm running it passive? Crossover cutoff for the tweeter is 3800Hz at 6/12 db.

*i know that running it active might be more noticeable, as the crossover cutoff point is adjustable.

3.) Morel's (in general) love power, due to their large voice coils. How much power should I feed them to get the most out of the set. Particularly looking for a strong midbass response.

Planning on genesis profile ultra amps to run these but haven't decided which ones. I'm in a dilemma between a possible combination of profile 2 and 4 ultras.

Hoping to find some help/advice from more experienced users/enthusiasts.

Thank You!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I have been asking a lot of the same Q's...

What I have found is that most people with Piccolo's do run them active - and some passive...Also, the Piccolo's are documented as a good match with the Elate's there is a build inthe install section by Jeremy C in a Honda Accord with 3 way Elate (with Mt23 switched to Piccolo) He said it was a major upgrade...There are also a lot of Morel installs on this site to:
Dimensionaudio.com.sg

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
If you run them passively, I would want at least 150w per channel. Ideally I would want 200w.

I think it would be a waste to get Piccolos if you are chopping off their legs at 3800Hz. The beauty of the Piccolos is their flexibility and how well they play low. The Piccolo is the best tweeter I have ever heard for a two way system. If you have a 3-way, the midrange is the most important driver IMO.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Hey Mooble,

If utilizing a Mid w/ Piccolo's is there a reason why the trend is to go with a 4" mid? i.e, Hybrid Ovation, CDM-54 etc...I am planning on getting the Piccolo too...but currently have the CDM 88 and prefer not to have a huge bulge in a-pillar. I guess mounting a larger mid in the kicks is always an option.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Most people want a cone midrange because they just play lower than the CDM 88 can ever play. The downside is the size. You might be surprised how well your system can do with just the Supremo tweeter.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Hey Thanks, you seem to have very consistent remarks about the performance of this line...

Bluenote

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you run them passively, I would want at least 150w per channel. Ideally I would want 200w.

I think it would be a waste to get Piccolos if you are chopping off their legs at 3800Hz. The beauty of the Piccolos is their flexibility and how well they play low. The Piccolo is the best tweeter I have ever heard for a two way system. If you have a 3-way, the midrange is the most important driver IMO.

This was actually my concern since they're cut at such a high frequency.

What if i run the system in full active mode? I read that crossing the cdm88's in the 450-500Hz is pretty much as low as it gets without sacrifice in quality,etc. Around what frequency should i cut off the tweeters? (If i do decide on the Piccolo's) Will the midrange frequencies too narrow to take advantage of the Piccolo's low end performance?

The source will be from a DEX-P99RS.

Thank you!

·
Registered
977 Posts
I ran the elate 6 three way full active so i can give you some input.

Having heard the piccolos in a few other cars they definitely can play lower than the mt23 and if you're going to shell out for them, I'd take advantage of it.

I played the cdm-54 quite low actively (315hz @ 18 or 24 db) because the old Morel passive was spec'd for 300hz @ 6 or 12 db. I didn't play them that loud, and I had ridiculous amounts of power available. I would not play them of the cdm88 that low again, but I think 500hz with a steep slope is really doable. I could see the cdm88 playing 500-2k with steep slopes and then the piccolo picking up from there.

A cone midrange might be the way to go, but install concerns dictate some of this no doubt.

I ran an underrated 175wrms to each driver in my 3 way... obviously overkill for the mid and tweet but the midbass ate it up.

·
Registered
380 Posts
The CDM 88's don't like much lower than 500hz with a steep slope. On the top side they play clean up to 5k with out sounding muddy.

The Supremo Tweet I understand plays down to 1000 hz and almost eliminates the CDM 88 from the line up if you have a good midrange location.

If you going to run the Supremo then make the set up active to take advantage of it.

Power wise, I ran a full active set up on my 3 way and had 100 watts per channel for the mid and tweet and 300 for each of the 9"s in the door playing down to 45hz with no issue at all! (fantastic!) My crossover points were, tweet, 20k-4k Mid, 4k to 650, midbass from 650-45. The mt23 will play lower than 3800hz, but dont go much below 2k it starts sounding a bit off.

I am trying to sell my Elate 9 3ways for a large format supremo tweet/ 6.5 supremo set up. (new car is conducive to a 2way) Want to go back to a 2 way after 5 years and give it a shot again with a really great component set run active.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input guys. Looks like I should open my options to running it in a 3way full active configuration.

Darn, this would entail having more amplifiers. I'm having a dilemma between what to power the system actually.

I can get a Genesis Profile 4 ultra for a good price (bnew). - 4x100 or 2x300
Also, I have one friend who's selling a Profile 2 ultra for a good price (used but in bnew condition) - 2x150 or 1x440
To add to the confusion, I have another friend who has 2pcs of Profile 2 amplifiers which he might let go for a decent price (used in around 8/10 condition) - 2x75 or 1x220

Any more suggestions would be great! Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts