DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all....my first post here :)

Anyone have any experience with this Morel driver? Or perhaps the MW265/266/267. I just ordered it through partsexpress to try out, I originally wanted the full neodymiun version (mw267) but it was out for a while and this driver appears to have the freq range I need for a 2way setup.

How do these drivers work IB?

I have an Arc xxk2500(270 x 2) to power them....
and I have Rainbow Cal27 silks (which will feed offa Zapco c2k2.0x ~50-70rms) that have accoustic volume rear chamber supposedly capable of down to 1200hz if needed.

I have 6,12,18,24db slopes available for the transition from my HU

My main concern is obviously integration of both these drivers, and have enough xover/slope room for play to get them.

Also any feed back on the midrange clarity/detail of this driver is appreciated. I plan to xover then ~55-63hz the lowest, so I'm curious how they play that lower information as well.

Thank you
Manuel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,298 Posts
I asked the other day about the MW266-4 model. Nobody knows and suggested I buy them and do a review. Always easy to spend somebody elses money :D

Anyway, I just bought them. Mine are going into a 3 way setup. We'll see, from 200 hz and below I'm sure they'll do the trick and do better than the 6 1/2s I have in there now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
i was just playing with some Phoenix Gold Elite mids yesterday, 6.5" (made by Morel - similar/same as Morel).

First impression were that they really sound like ass! haha..but then i found the eq settings still adjusted to the last set of speakers that were in there..

so after a little tuning with this equipment..

- Alpine 9855
- Alpine MRV-F545 (rated at 125x4 @ 14.4v - birthsheet shows 170.3x4 @ 14.4v)
- HP 80hz @ 12db
- LP 1.6khz @ 12db

shortly, overall output was not as loud as my Seas L18RNX. Midbass was not as snappy and lowend extension also was not so great. Midrange was not as airy or detailed as my Seas Lotus RW110's.. However, the LCY Ribbons that he had in his car were wonderful..! :D

overall, those mids are pretty good..but i think my SEAS are better...
 

·
DIYMA Founder
Joined
·
4,757 Posts
Those Seas mids are SOOOO hard to beat. I want to recommend something else to people... but I find I just can't. The price, build quality, and performance are just impossible to top.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,978 Posts
10K2HVN said:
- Alpine 9855
- Alpine MRV-F545 (rated at 125x4 @ 14.4v - birthsheet shows 170.3x4 @ 14.4v)

wait a second you have a alpine amp that benches at 170x4?? arent those the 300 dollar ones??

how does it "sound" and yes I know its subjective but whats your best fit comparison

and I swear man you guys make me want to try these darn seas mids lol

if nothign else cause they are so cheap
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
http://iweb.alpine-usa.com/pls/admn/item_info?p_item_name=MRV-F545&p_category=40&p_subcategory=105&p_main=10&p_more=y

^that one right there..

Itll work for me! theyre suppose to me more closely design to the Alpine F1 Status amp.. according to one of my dealer friends, he said theyre "..a quantum-leap better then the older amps!" and i have no complaints. the biggest thing i noticed was when he switched from an Eclipse hu (last years model with xover/eq) to the Alpine 9855; things were a lot quiter and seemed more flat and linear - a bit dry sounding...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,978 Posts
so you liked the switch from the eclipse TO the 9855??

man I swear I must be crazy or something--lol

but my 8454 sounds way better than my 9835? the sound improvement was immediate?

did they improve the internals of the 9855??

I may try that amp though if it benches that high whoa

since I cant seem to find a big 4 ch or another audison 2.500 anywhere

so I can run three way active

thx for the tip
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
come on guys...I was hoping to feel a lil' optimistic after a few replies :(

I guess throwing them in and crossing my fingers is all I can do- hope my doors are a perfect for'm

I recall not being too impressed w/ PG Elite mids mtself when my dealer had them, although they were the 6.5"s. I fig any good 8" will def make an inprovement in midbass output over a 6.5" , but really my main concern is to have adequate and fluid m,idrange with this driver...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,978 Posts
I dont know man it willbe hard to get a CLEAN signal from a 8" driver of any sort

I ran the dls IR8's up to 2500, and they were not that great up high

usable yes, but much better at 63hz to 1000hz IMO

Im sure your bass output will be good


if its anything like the other morel drivers I have heard you will need all that the 2500xxk can produce to get the most out of em

not sure if you did this already

but Id HIGHLY recommend doubling up your matt amount, especially on the actual door panel


the amount of added throw you are going to get from 8" midranges will cause all kinds of hums and rattles in that fellow nissan :)

I give you props for trying something new as most dont do that!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
newtitan said:
I dont know man it willbe hard to get a CLEAN signal from a 8" driver of any sort

I ran the dls IR8's up to 2500, and they were not that great up high

usable yes, but much better at 63hz to 1000hz IMO

Im sure your bass output will be good


if its anything like the other morel drivers I have heard you will need all that the 2500xxk can produce to get the most out of em

not sure if you did this already

but Id HIGHLY recommend doubling up your matt amount, especially on the actual door panel


the amount of added throw you are going to get from 8" midranges will cause all kinds of hums and rattles in that fellow nissan :)

I give you props for trying something new as most dont do that!!!
Yeah, my door is deadened but I will be adding a lil more Roadkill...
I already have one of my ringscutout, should prolly have the other done soon as the drivers will be here any day.
What i do have to do is cut a good 1/4" all around off my factory cutout and shave/dremmel some plastic from the interior of the door panel grill to allow some room for the cone....
I'll be alright- just hoping for the best, if not an inprovement is welcome:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,978 Posts
yeah I had to do that too lol on the plastic panel

my next venture is door panel pod :)

jsut trying to decode if I want to keep my 7" cdts as midbass 9which they are good at)

or try and fit that monster peerless 9" in there lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,298 Posts
Just received my Morel MW266-4's in the mail from Madisound. They'll be replacing a CDT ES 6 1/2. The CDT mid is a great mid, but I'm in a tinkering mode so we'll see.

I put some 6.5 Koda's in my wife's vehicle and I really liked their depth. They had a really nice full sound to them in the lower regions, but lacked clarity and detail in the midrange area, so I'm trying to get that sound, while not losing my midrange clarity. That will be covered by the CDT HD 4" component set. I'll low pass the Morel mid at 200 hz and let the CDTs handle the rest. I can always go back to the Eurosports :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
newtitan said:
so you liked the switch from the eclipse TO the 9855??

man I swear I must be crazy or something--lol

but my 8454 sounds way better than my 9835? the sound improvement was immediate?

did they improve the internals of the 9855??

I may try that amp though if it benches that high whoa

since I cant seem to find a big 4 ch or another audison 2.500 anywhere

so I can run three way active

thx for the tip
also, in the switch from the Eclipse to the Alpine, details were brought out more..much like in my own car and home setup..

The newer Alpine amps use a Darlington circuitry, thats used in some highend homeaudio along with the Alpine F1, and Genesis car audio amps..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
578 Posts
newtitan said:
10K2HVN said:
- Alpine 9855
- Alpine MRV-F545 (rated at 125x4 @ 14.4v - birthsheet shows 170.3x4 @ 14.4v)

wait a second you have a alpine amp that benches at 170x4?? arent those the 300 dollar ones??

how does it "sound" and yes I know its subjective but whats your best fit comparison

and I swear man you guys make me want to try these darn seas mids lol

if nothign else cause they are so cheap
My F345 both came with birth sheets showing 91watts @ 14v.
There was no indication this was all 4 channels driven so it is safe to assume AT LEAST 91watts 1 channel driven @ 4ohm 14v. ;)

I wouldn't add anything else that was not specifically stated... If that F545 specified all 4 channels driven, I'd like to see it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
it says 'all channels', but it does not say all channels drivin at the 'same time'.

ive been trying to get a picture of the birth sheet since it got the damn thing! ..but hes very forgetful...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
578 Posts
Well I double checked to make sure...

My MRD-m1001 (04 model) included the same certificate as the 05 & it says "Per Channel"
My MRV-F345's came with identical certificates & again is says "Per Channel"

A peek at a brand new MRV-F545 confirmed that they did not come with diff certificates & are indeed identical & say "Per Channel"

So I still have my doubts these numbers are comming from all channels driven... although they are still respectable number even if only 1 channel was driven.

I am very pleased with my F345... I can only imaging owning 2 F545's instead ... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
"Per Channel"

"All Channels" (not driven at the same time)

Same thing!! :D

racerraul said:
I am very pleased with my F345... I can only imaging owning 2 F545's instead ... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
thats my next setup! :wink:

either that or a Brax amp on my mids and tweets with my spare Eclipse amp for my midbasses.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
989 Posts
How are those Morel's working out for you? I'm considering a pair because I don't think the Peerless XLS depth will work with my truck.

Thanks
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top