DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to decide on which one to go with. Just to give everyone an idea of what my plans are, here is a list of what I currently have going into a 2012-2013 mustang (soon to be purchased).

Audison Lrx5.1k
Audison Bitone
Morel Supremo SW9
Morel Supremo piccolo
Morel Ultimo 12

The supremo sw9 will be playing somewhere around 60-80 on the lower end and around 200-500 on the upper end (based on my decision between hybrid ovation 4 vs cdm88). The piccolos will be playing at around 3k to 20k with the ultimo 12 playing around 60-80 and below. So id like your thoughts on what would sound best considering what I already have and what I plan to do.

Speaker locations are...Sw9 in the stock door loation where the 8" sub is already installed by ford , cdm88 or hybrid ovation in the stock 5x7 location and the piccolos on axis on the sail pannels.

As far as power to the speakers...

Piccolos...50 rms
hybrid ovation or cdm88...(an lrx2.4 that id have to buy, let me know if you have one for sale ...approx 125 rms)
Supremo sw9's...160rms
Ultimo 12...1100 rms

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Sounds very nice! I have the CDM88 and they are great + have a shallow mount depth.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you running your cdm88 active or passive? what frequency range and power are you running them at? Im not to worried about depth since ill be installing them where the factory 5x7 is located so im guessing i have a good 4" to work with.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
The midrange is the most important part of the install IMHO. If you have the Piccolo tweeter (which can cross low), why not get a 5.25"? You can then run the Supremo SW5, cross it at 2.5khz (where it starts beaming) and have a better speaker with potential for better dynamics.

Just a thought.

If you're set on choosing between the other two, I have only heard the CDM. It is a great sounding driver too, but I don't think it should be crossed below the 700-900hz range or it starts distorting at high output (Morel uses 700hz with it's passive crossovers).

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have also considered the supremo sw5, do you think the lrx2.4 would be a good match for it?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
i have also considered the supremo sw5, do you think the lrx2.4 would be a good match for it?
That should be fine for the SW5.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everyone for your responses. It seems that the CDM-88 is a good speaker however its limited to a higher frequency on the low end when compared to the hybrid ovation 4 and the Supremo SW5. Id really like to be able to play the midrange starting at around 150-250hz then cutting it off at around 2.5khz so that the piccolo tweeter can take care of the rest. With that being said it appears the CDM-88 is not the right speaker for my application.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Are you running your cdm88 active or passive? what frequency range and power are you running them at? Im not to worried about depth since ill be installing them where the factory 5x7 is located so im guessing i have a good 4" to work with.
I am running active via Cache CEX elect xover through the MS8.
Ive ran it as low as 450hz/24db but it seems to sound best at 800hz/24db ( in my car ) I have them mounted in the a-pillars underneath the piccolos slighty on axis. My set up was executed by Bing with SimplicityinSound ( SQ Lincoln LS under the build log section )

1 - 9 of 9 Posts