DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
No experience, but that looks like ill work fine in the doors..

Try it and post us a review! :wink:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Interesting mids, I've always wondered about this one. You should buy it and try it, and like 10K2HVN said, you can even write a review for us.

I used to think 3" was my max, but I decided to try the seas CA18RNX anyway (a tad more than 3"). It took a bit of work (2 days) but I finally got them in and couldn't be happier!

David

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
The Morel MW266 has been around for quite a while, at least as long as I've been into audio. IIRC, and he may step in to tell me I'm full of it, but I think Dan Wiggins used these woofers in his personal car about 15 years ago or longer.

Now, there are a whole bunch of older drivers that groups of people claim have yet to be bested (Tannoy Red/Silver/Gold dual concentrics, Altec 604's, Eckmiller O15's, any number of Alnico-magnet or field-coil compression drivers) but I don't think anyone's going to put an Israeli Dynaudio knockoff in that company. Especially not when it's selling for 3x what it's actually worth.

If you're looking for a thoroughly modern, low-distortion shallow midbass, and don't need it to play that high, check out the Aura NSF8, also at Madisound. It's a little more pricey than the Morel but it's also at least two decades more advanced.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only reason I'm truly confined to the dimensions of the car for installation purposes is that it's a company vehicle, and I'll have to eventually turn it in. That being said, I can't do any major modifications to get stuff to fit. I did luck out and the vehicle will have stock 6x9 mounting holes in the doors. I can easily get away with an 8 in there. I can modify a little bit, just as long as I can put it back to stock when I turn it in.

·
Registered
265 Posts
You really shouldn't have a problem taking out the stock moutning bracket and installing a 1" baffle. That way you can probably fit 3" depth. If you need to return the vehcile, just remove the baffle, and put the original 6x8 plate and speaker back in there.

Should be simple enough. There's no real modifications to the actual car. (at least in the case when I put CA18RNX in my doors).

David

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahhh, but the problem really comes in that there isn't much room between the door panel and the frame. So using a thick baffle (especially with a driver that has a good deal of xmax will be tricky. I plan on using a baffle (as I do with all my projects), it's just going to be tight. At least that's what I'm hearing from a friend that already has the same vehicle. If anybody has any info on a Chrysler Town and Country minivan let me know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts