DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Morel mt250 vs scanspeak illuminator D3004/6620-00

13K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  CrossFired 
#1 ·
So i've been redoing my system here lately and i just finished with the subs and sub amp and all, i ordered a pair of HAT L6SEs (got them for less than a clarus set) so they should be here in a few days and now im just trying to figure out what tweeter would pair up best with them. It is a 2 way setup.

The problem im facing is this: The sensitivity of the L6SEs matches more closely with that of the morels, and i'm sure an upgrade to the mt250 from my current mt22 would give me an improvement in every possible way. I love the sound of morel's tweeters. However, i have never heard a scanspeak driver of any sort in any way, but i've heard so much great stuff about all of their products, for home theatre and car audio alike, that its very hard to ignore them. I also appreciate that scanspeak publishes all of their drivers' t/s parameters and fr graphs and what not.

So, having said that, would someone who has heard either tweeter, or both, please share your experience? thanks much, and im also open to other suggestions, but im trying to keep the price under $450ish for the pair.

I'll be powering them with two of the channels of a jl hd 900/5 for now, with active crossovers set on the head unit somewhere between 2.5khz and 4khz,
but i'll soon be upgrading to a pair of zapco dc 750.2s (one for the tweeters and one for the mids). The car is an '07 accord

Thanks again to anyone who cares to help :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Personally, I went from a Morel MT22 to the Scan tweeter you listed here. For me, The Scan is just as detailed but it has better upper end extension. You know; more air.... I have not had the pleasure of the new mt250. I think I have heard them in another vehicle tho but I can't compare under the same situations. Hope this helps in some way.

#4 ·
Significant improvement? Define significant. I would say it was noticeable to my ears and I do still own and use them while the mt22 has been sold now. 3.2 kHz is about the sweetest cross I've found for my Scans. I have had them as low as 2 KHz but like them much more above 3kHz, I usually use 24 db slopes tho but I have used 12 db before with no issues. As for power handling, I can say that they get too loud for me potentially off of the 50 Audison watts they are receiving. I wouldn't doubt they can handle 150 responsible watts or more with ease. Honestly tho, I don't see the need for more than about 50 good clean watts for most any tweeter. Its not a midbass after all.;)

#5 ·
I'm not sure what I mean by significant actually lol. I guess I'm asking if you had like any "wow" moments after upgrading, or any regrets after buying them or anything. It seems like you're pretty happy with them though, so that's pretty much what I was going for :) do you think its worth the upgrade? And the reason I'm asking about power handling is that I'm trying to get the front stage to match the volume levels of the subs without having the sub channel on -12 all the time lol :p I guess that's the only thing keeping me from committing to the scans; the sensitivity is just a bit lower than the mt250s, while the power handling is about the same. Oh and do you by chance have any input on listening to the scans slightly off axis?

#13 ·
I have an 07 Accord too, are you using the stock locations?

1. 4000 is probably too high to cross if you don't have a dedicated midrange. I have been able to cross Seas RT27F (great tweeter btw) and Illusion CuBe tweeters both in the ~2000 - 2500 range with great results. The reality is that most midbasses of that size won't play up to 4000 as clean as the tweeters will play down to 2500.

2. Stock location is great, but its so off axis that it needs a little boost at the very top end. With the DC amps you can add a high shelf somewhere from 12k-16k to help with that.

3. I think the power handling might not be as big a deal. If you ever just listen to your tweeters alone, and then your mids alone, you'll realize that most of the sound comes from the mid. Also, for me a flat system freq response sounds way too bright. I usually tune for a downward slope left to right. So as others have stated above, the tweeter won't be seeing all the power the amp has available.

Anyways, all that being said, both tweeters will probably sound awesome in your setup. Just make sure you invest the time into tuning.

#14 ·
Thanks for the input, I won't be using the stock locations actually, I have the current tweeters in the top of the door (sail panel i think its called) and I was thinking about angling them a bit to get them more on axis. I'll probably have them crossed at about 3.2khz 18 or 24 db/octave. And I'm sure you are correct in saying I'll be very happy with either after proper tuning :)

#21 ·
The R/D 3004 are compact tweeters with a 2.4" flange. The D2904 is a full size tweeter with a 4" flange. Scanspeak makes many high end tweeters with different applications. I wouldn't necessarily go on price to determine quality. I think in this case these tweeters were built with a different outcome in mind. The 3004 were built to be compact and thus have specific build parameters. This probably is cheaper to build than the 2904 which is meant to be a an upper end home tweeter.

#25 ·
I've used the Scans and Morels. I did not like the scans, as they were too distracting(very peaky). I could always hear the tweeters. With the MT23's(and as of late the MT250's) the sound is just in front of me, and I rarely hear the tweeters, just a full stage as the Morels just disappear. I guess you could say the Morels blend extremely well.

I'd go with the morel's over the Scan's every time. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.