DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at the MW166-4 and the MW168-4 drivers. The only difference seems to be that the 168 is the "low Qts" version. Can anyone explain what that actually means?

Also, has anyone heard these drivers?

I started looking at these after reading about the MW266 in the other thread. The Seas I ordered are out of stock for the moment.

Npdang, can you source Morel also?

TomT

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I went ahead and ordered the MW168-4s from Madisound. I chose those because of the slightly shallower depth.

TomT

·
Registered
531 Posts
are you installing them IB in the door?

"generally" higher qts drivers do better in IB installs....so you might have wanted to order the 266 :)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh well, all I can do is try them.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
A bit late but yes I can get Morel :)

I still prefer the Seas though. Morel is not bad, but lacks bass and clarity. It's a very smooth and polite sounding driver though.

For IB, depending on your car's transfer function and your target response the high OR low q driver may work best for you. It's not as cut and dry as high qts = IB, low qts = ported.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just a quick review of the Morels. So far they sound like ass. . . :?

·
Registered
578 Posts
TomT said:
Are these the ones you put in the rear doors of your RAM? I saw that you intended to use them as rear fill in the RAM. I thought of advicing you against it in that vehicle, but all my friends with similar trucks never take my advice anyways.

I am 5' 4" & the rear speakers are closer than any of the front stage speakers. I ended up removing the rear fill drivers & never looked back. If you are taller than me, you will prob have the seat further back than I & end up even closer than I to the rear speakers.

Sell those morels & put Dayton RS tweeters in the dash in place of those Diamonds or LPG.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Raul,

I was going to email you. Do you have any pictures of the XLS drivers in your doors? Did you have to build them out past the stock grill at all?

I'll probably get rid of the Morels at some point. First I need to spend some time with the gains and crossover settings to see why they don't sound good.

Tom

·
Registered
578 Posts
TomT said:
Hey Raul,

I was going to email you. Do you have any pictures of the XLS drivers in your doors? Did you have to build them out past the stock grill at all?

I'll probably get rid of the Morels at some point. First I need to spend some time with the gains and crossover settings to see why they don't sound good.

Tom
I have pics of the Peerless in the doors... use the link in my sig to get to my SD page to view the pics.

I had to build 3/4" spacers & roundout the 6x9 hole. The Peerless is more of a 9" physically & the basket & speaker terminals make the speaker harder to install. On the driver side the gear that moves the PW arm rubs a little on the magnet of the XLS enough that it is making a 1/16-1/8 nudge on the magnet edge. Still trying to figure out how to fix it. I don't have much room to work with. The passenger side is fine...

·
Registered
415 Posts
TomT said:
:wink: ..not really that bad..

npdang said:
I still prefer the Seas though. Morel is not bad, but lacks bass and clarity. It's a very smooth and polite sounding driver though.
that about sums it up for my opinion too...

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
racerraul said:
Sell those morels & put Dayton RS tweeters in the dash in place of those Diamonds or LPG.
man i need to hear those daytons ?? so above 5k you think the daytons are better than the lpg's?? I dont need that low crossover point of the daytons

I havent mounted mine so I can still return them lol

·
Registered
578 Posts
newtitan said:
racerraul said:
man i need to hear those daytons ?? so above 5k you think the daytons are better than the lpg's?? I dont need that low crossover point of the daytons

I havent mounted mine so I can still return them lol
Better? It's close... I prefer the Daytons though & I currently use the 25nfa's

·
Registered
578 Posts
newtitan said:
hmm I might have to try them out im curious

Ill have to work with that 3" face though wow

I really like the 25nfa's
Yeah the 25nfa are definitely my favorite small footprint tweeter. I have been using them for 3 years now. To me it does nothing wrong from 4k & up.

When you consider the price, it is tough to justify a more expesive tweeter. I have heard quite a few too... from TN51's, DA's, JBL's, Vifa & Scans... The LPG is just an incredible value & their performance is worthy of a higher price. Just my opinion ofcoarse... I have yet to listen to Ribbons & horns in a properly tuned vehicle.

So why the Daytons you might ask... Well the best way I can describe the Dayton is like this. It has all the good qualities of a hard dome tweeter without the harshness. It's a bit more detailed & open than the LPG 25nfa. But not by a whole lot. At about $30 more for the pair over the LPG I think the RS are a bargain as well.

That much I was able to identify from a quick swap in the truck listening with the RS on the dash & in the kick area. I have LPG's in the kicks & a-pillars, so that kinda tells you how well the Daytons fill my cabin with just 2 of them. I was able to determine no rainbow effect in the short time I tested them... With the LPG a 2nd pair was needed in the a-pillars to get rid of the rainbow effect.

However, in Leo's car... I totally fell for the Dayton RS, but he has them in there already tuned & broken in... My goal is to duplicate their performance in my truck. If not... LPG's it is my man...

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
soo where are you going to put them in your dash? that 4-1/8" dimater is scaring me lol

I wonder If I could mod the faceplate somehow?

my tweets fire up into the windshield, mids will be int he apillars (working on
the mold since last night :), midbass in the doors

since they are so wide Id have to do some work as my stock tweet area is 2.74x2.75 sqaure

Ill order a pair to try them out, they are cheap enough, and if I cant fit them theyll go in the house, rather easy

·
Registered
578 Posts
I have not decided where I will put them yet...

The options are to modify my qforms to put them there, since it looks ez to mod them with glass... or in the dash, the truck came with 3.5" speakers in there & should fit with little to no mod.

The face of the tweeter is made of aluminum, so moding it may not be as ez as plastic ones.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts