DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am driving an 02 jeep grand Cherokee, and its time to get rid of the stock stuff and start off a new system! I am going for SQ, and as money has it, the only thing i can afford right now is my front stage, deadener, and an amp to power them. I will probably be adding a small sealed sub stage later on, but not for a little while. Now, the two main sets that have caught my eyes are the Morel Tempo 6 and the Hertz HSK 165... anybody have an ideas as to which one i should choose?

I listen to a little bit of everything, from fleetwood mac, the doors, jack johnson, bob marley, wilco, the white stripes, the offspring, metallica, Wu tang, dr dre... basically i listen to it all besides country and gospel haha... and im not really a fan of the harsh highs

I am also looking for a 4 channel amp (incase i would ever choose to go active) any advice on that?

I can get both speakers for basically the same price, and if anybody else has a suggestion with a budget of about $300 for speakers, let me know!

My doors will be deadened and.... rear fill? Any good midbass 6.5" coax ideas? Or just ditch them?

Only thing in my car now is a pioneer 6000ub, which might be replaced by an alpine 9887 in a year or so

·
Registered
322 Posts
You can also cosider the Focal Access 165A1. I know most people would say it has a harsh tweeter, but i used it before and tamed the tweeter. People actually thought I was using a 165VR. But if you dont like the Focals, my vote goes to Morel.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've played with both the HSK's and the Focal Access 165's,the Focal for the money IMHO will give speakers even 2 times its price a run as far as performance is concerned.The disadvantage with the Focal's though are that the listening fatigue on them are a little high.The tweeter does smooth out after a while and sounds really sweet.The HSK's are great.They have soft dome tweeters and the woofer has plenty kick.Detail on them is excellent too,listening fatigue on them even with hard rock is minimal.
I had a listen to the Pulse in a friends car while they sounded quite good they seemed to not like being played hard.Just my opinions,best thing for you to do is give them all a listen before making your decision.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i wish i could, but the nearest dealers are around 2 1/2 hours from me lol so i am gonna have to get one and hopefully make the right choice...

I thought about some focals, but anybody even mentioning any type of harsh highs or listening fatigue immediately made me throw them out the window.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
The access uses a 20mm tweeter and crosses it over fairly high as a result.

The Morel uses a 28mm tweeter, but I think the Tempo has a bit of a fat bottom end.

I would totally go with the HSK165 in this comparison. It should sell for much more than the Tempo - it compares pricewise to the Dotech, but sounds better. Crossover is around 2800 or 3K if memory serves - over half an octave lower than the Focal - giving you better off-axis from the tweeter and preventing the rising woofer response which often results in a ragged and harsh upper mid from the woofer.

·
Registered
237 Posts
go with the Hertz HSK-165, imo would be best speaker for the price...

amazing detail, nice mid range kick, and very smooth/natural!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't own the morels, But I own the hertz.

My first impression with the hsk165 is wow, The sound is very nice, the mids are excellent after the break in. My front passengers were always impressed by the sound.

But if I were to judge it by audiophile perspective, I'd say the hsk165 is a little congested around the XO region , around 3k and the tweeter also sound congested and not detailed in the top octave, There is also some distortion in the tweeter through out its freg. range.

Since I'm a DIYer, I removed the dust cap on the hsk woofer , cause I'm sure it was the cause of sound congestion in the upper range. The congestion was gone, but the sound of the mids and tweets still lack details, especially the tweets.

So now I am using the Seas NEO textile , a cheap sony mids ( soon to be replaced) and a custom made passive xo, This setup sounds much better than the hsk165. The seas neo are leagues above the tweeter in the hsk165 comps. Detailed , airy , smooth and low distortion.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im thinking that what your are talking about wont be my biggest issue lol..

Which ever speakers i choose will be my first leap into the aftermarket game, so i think i might outdo my expectations?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts