DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a Ultimo for my old saab & hope to drop it off next week to have a local shop mount the sub in the spare tire compartment (no way I trust myself to do that).

Anyways, what is the ideal box size I should tell them to go with? DAT told me manufacturer states .88 to 1 cu ft but he prefers 1.25 cu ft. Should I stick with the 1.25 cu ft??

Power will be from a Alpine PDX 1000.1

thanks for any info!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I just purchased a Ultimo for my old saab & hope to drop it off next week to have a local shop mount the sub in the spare tire compartment (no way I trust myself to do that).

Anyways, what is the ideal box size I should tell them to go with? DAT told me manufacturer states .88 to 1 cu ft but he prefers 1.25 cu ft. Should I stick with the 1.25 cu ft??

Power will be from a Alpine PDX 1000.1

thanks for any info!
I'm using 1.25 and I'm very happy with it... Gets real low but also can produce fast bass. Love my Ultimo. :D

·
Registered
179 Posts
Are you trying to go sealed or ported. I'm guessing sealed by the specs you listed. The Ultimo loves a bigger enclosure but it is not required. Most of the guys that use the Ultimo do it in around 1.5 to 1.75 sealed. I had mine in a little over 1.75 and loved it there but I decided to go ported and ended up going 2.25 ported in my spare tire well. Both boxes were powered by a Genesis profile sub ultra. Trust me if you can fit it I say go for it. You can always take away displacement in the box by mounting some smaller mdf cubes in the box but you can't add displacement to the box if you decide you want to try it in a bigger enclosure.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks everyone.... so pretty much as big as I can within reason. I will have them shoot for 1.25 as a min & I think I have room for more. My spare tire area is kinda large so I might be able to squeeze in a 2+ cu ft ported box.......

BUT

How does the sump compare sealed vs ported?

·
Premium Member
1,637 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts