DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 651 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
We love to have solid sub bass because it's fun and makes the music enjoyable. If we forget about the fun aspect of car audio then we might as well leave the stereo stock and only listen at home with a multi thousand dollar setup and technically pick apart the music.

·
Premium Member
1,637 Posts
Alright Don, point me to the enclosure ... I am willing to try it. :) I'll also try playing with my corssovers a bit. I checked Sonic and the closest I found was 1.45 cu ft. Shipping is a little more to me in TX than it is to you in CA I suspect.
Shiv: Here is the link: Sonic Sub Box: 1SL12-1.4 (GRAY CARPET) (1sl1214-gray) 12" Sealed Subwoofer Enclosures Sealed Subwoofer Enclosures Car Subwoofer Enclosures Car Subwoofer Installation & Accessories Car Audio/Video Installation & Accessories Car Audio, Video, & GPS Nav

Shipping to me was free, but I plugged in your zip code and shipping would be $33. :( More than the price of the enclosure. I guess UPS pays its workers more than the factory in China that made these enclosures. Anyway, if you want to try it, it's not a huge investment. Add some fiberglass, and accounting for sub displacement, you will have an effective net internal volume of slightly more than 1.5 cubic feet.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've had the Ultimo installed now for a week and I must say that it's be best sub I've ever heard, but I am still wondering why we are so fascinated with a driver that barely plays one single octave. The bass is definitely tighter, but I certainly can't hear it on most songs unless they have a pronounced bass track. If I listened to nothing but Hotel California from Hell Freezes Over, I'd be in heaven. Otherwise, the money would be much better spent on a nicer front stage. If you have tuned and tweaked absolutely everything in your car and have nothing left to do, then I would consider stepping up to something like the Ultimo. If you're not completely obsessed with SQ like some of us are, I'd recommend getting a Dayton HO and calling it a day.

I feel you. Hey want to sell it:)

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I feel you. Hey want to sell it:)
Nope, I AM one of those obsessed people who wants to hear every note perfectly. If there is a single song that cannot be played properly on my system, then I have more work to do.

·
Premium Member
1,637 Posts
Nope, I AM one of those obsessed people who wants to hear every note perfectly. If there is a single song that cannot be played properly on my system, then I have more work to do.
:laugh: Hey Mooble, you answered your own post! And, in doing so, I guess it's fair to say that the Dayton won't be displacing the Morel in your system anytime soon, correct? :)

·
Registered
475 Posts
We love to have solid sub bass because it's fun and makes the music enjoyable. If we forget about the fun aspect of car audio then we might as well leave the stereo stock and only listen at home with a multi thousand dollar setup and technically pick apart the music.

'nuff said

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the review. I just got my ultimo 12 hooked up it is in a 1.5 sealed enclosure,I have a Hifonics zeds vl bridged and I could not be happier.This sub is amazing and it is much more efficient than I thought it would be,I had to turn down the bass on my dql8 I was thinking I was going to need more power,I was ready to buy the new Zed Kronos,I even bought 2 ultimos because I've been running 2 boston 12.5 Les,but one ultimo is plenty the other is just sitting in the closet,if anyone needs one let me know.

·
Premium Member
1,637 Posts
Thanks for the review. I just got my ultimo 12 hooked up it is in a 1.5 sealed enclosure,I have a Hifonics zeds vl bridged and I could not be happier.This sub is amazing and it is much more efficient than I thought it would be,I had to turn down the bass on my dql8 I was thinking I was going to need more power,I was ready to buy the new Zed Kronos,I even bought 2 ultimos because I've been running 2 boston 12.5 Les,but one ultimo is plenty the other is just sitting in the closet,if anyone needs one let me know.
Hey, glad you are enjoying the sub. Which version is yours, 4 Ohm or 2 Ohm impedance?

·
Registered
164 Posts
$$$$$$? how much

·
Registered
221 Posts
snaimpally (or anyone else), do you have any experience with JL's W7 woofers? I'm very interested in how they compare to the Morel Ultimo. I currently own two 10 W7's but I just ordered a set of Morel Elate Limited Edition two-ways and I am seriously considering going Ultimo for the sub(s).

·
Registered
6 Posts
im not intirested in the sub but do you have references? just looking out for my shipmates...
I am new here,but im not here to rip anyone off, on ebay i am mariodada as well as audiogon,paypal protects the buyer and selller right? how is business done on this forum? I am not allowed to post in the classifieds? Like i said i have a brand new ultimo 12 4ohm in the unopened box someone is going to get a great deal on this sub ,and this is one place i found were people know what good gear is thats why i joined.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
I've heard (from Morel) that the 4 ohm Ultimo 12 is very tough to drive. I was interested in a 2 ohm model.
I have a small car (Maxda Speed 3 hatch). Before the Ultimo I was running a ported Soundstream Exact 10. My HU, the 800PRS, puts out very low voltages. I certainly lost efficiency going from ported to sealed but the Ultimo can get quite loud. I have been driving it with an old school Cadence A7Hc which is rated at 500 watts @ 4 ohms, though it probably does a bit more than that. The auto eq and t/a of my HU sets the sub level to -16 db. Because of the loud exhaust, I usually bump this up 3 db to -13 db. Still plenty loud.

I would say you need something that will actually do around 700 watts or more at 4 ohms and 12 volts. The Clarion DPX11551 does 850 watts at 4 ohms at 14.4 volts. My Cadence recently died and so I popped the Clarion in and it handles the Ultimo fairly well.

If you are interested, I have an Arc Audio 2500XXK amp that is rated for 1050 watts at 4 ohms that I am selling. I bought it for the Morel but it won't fit in my application.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
snaimpally (or anyone else), do you have any experience with JL's W7 woofers? I'm very interested in how they compare to the Morel Ultimo. I currently own two 10 W7's but I just ordered a set of Morel Elate Limited Edition two-ways and I am seriously considering going Ultimo for the sub(s).
I have heard the JL W7s but not in my car. The thing is, with every other sub I have heard, the sub contributes something to the sound. The Ultimo does not. It is totally transparent. I have raised the sub level to 6 db over what the auto eq and ta set it at and you still can't hear that a sub is present. The Ultimo plays the notes and then disappears.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's what i love about it,i don't wan't anything added to the music, i want to hear the music the way it was recorded.I don't want to hear any added coloration,this is one amazing sub but not for the window shakers.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
This excerpt from a review in Car Audio and Electronics sums up the Morel Ultimo 12:

"The driver was so transparent at the beginning of this track that I had to check if it was still activated. I toggled the dash-mounted remote wire switch for the amplifier a couple of times in amazement. Kick drums were high located along the dashboard and blended extremely well with the notes from the bass guitar. I was hard-pressed to find any flaws in the Ultimo 12 on this track. This is how a subwoofer should perform-adding body and fullness to an audio selection without sacrificing tonality, disrupting clarity of other instruments or over-shadowing the vocals."

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yeah the Morel 12 definitely seems like the sub for me. I will probably still get the two ohm version and get the Genesis Profile Sub Ultra to drive it. It won't match my Dual Mono looks-wise but the guys at Morel say it drives the Ultimo very well.

21 - 40 of 651 Posts