DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 651 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,637 Posts
I've heard (from Morel) that the 4 ohm Ultimo 12 is very tough to drive. I was interested in a 2 ohm model.
It's not any "tougher" to drive than the 2 Ohm version. Their rated sensitivity is the same. The problem, if you want to call it that, is that there are VERY few amplifiers capable of producing 1000 watts or more (which the Ultimo really needs for optimum performance in the lower frequencies) with a 4 Ohm load. Most amps are able to do that at 2 Ohms, or 1 Ohm. Thus, if you have the 4 Ohm version of the Ultimo, you will have fewer options available to you for amplification that can properly drive the Ultimo. You can get by with less power (and I have used it with less), but trust me, you will not be hearing the full capabilities of this sub. Put on large scale orchestral music and you will hear what I mean. The downside to operating your amp with a 2 Ohm load is more heat and current requirements. So you better make sure your battery and alternator are up to the task.

·
Premium Member
1,637 Posts
what id like to know is what makes this sub so transperant? (hardware wise)
:confused: It's not a "hardware" question. The sub reproduces bass notes with very little distortion and coloration.

·
Registered
866 Posts
i just keep hearing how some have to double check if its still on, that seems odd to me is all, i can def tell when bass is present on live performances...

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
i just keep hearing how some have to double check if its still on, that seems odd to me is all, i can def tell when bass is present on live performances...
That does bring up a very good point... which I'm curious to read the response to.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Using one too, and it can really go low, 10hz ! Irresistible :eek: :tongue2::earmuffs: If you into soundtracks, this sub can really perform effortlessly. Currently powering them with just a 2ch x 150W Helix Competition A2 amp.
Amazing !

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
:confused: It's not a "hardware" question. The sub reproduces bass notes with very little distortion and coloration.
I think the question he is driving at is what spec is responsible for this and how to compare that spec to other subs. To that I would say that most of the blending is dependent on tuning, not the sub. If you have a sub tuned low with a very steep slope, it's going to be obvious when the sub is playing vs the front stage etc.

Here is my take: the one thing that I think is remarkably different about the Ultimo is the "tightness" of the bass. As I mentioned previously, the bass is more natural, not boomy. If you have a boomy sub, it will sound very different than your midbass playing the same frequency. In that regard, the Ultimo is kinda like a super midbass. It sounds like a midbass, but with much more output. That is why it blends well. You don't hear that trademark sub boominess which is very easy to pick out.

My question is this: what specs are responsible for bass "tightness?" Is it a combination of motor strength and moving mass? I don't think so because I have used subs with more powerful motors AND lighter cones and they were still boomy. Maybe it's the cone material. Why does the Ultimo sound so un-boomy? How can we quantify that characteristic?

·
Banned
48 Posts
Great questions! Ive had the privilege to listened to the Ultimo in Buzzman's car at the Sound of in Riverside, Ca. and all I can say is I'm getting one! I've had the kicker solobaric 12, IDQ 10's, Rockford Fosgate 15's and presently I'm using a Arc Audio 12 and nothing, and I do mean nothing, Ive heard sound so buttery smooth when it comes to blending with your front stage. I think the low end boom some are referring to has a lot to do with the enclosure type, because Buzzman's car definitely had boom!

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Yes, but it's the quality of boom. Most subs sound like thunder to me. The note is struck and then there is a residual boom that echoes a couple times before dissipating. It's not that the Ultimo doesn't strike with authority. It does--but then it stops. There is no echoing thunder. That is what separates it from other subs. All other subs just sound sloppy next to the Ultimo. The best way for me to describe the sound is a super midbass.

I also want to hear it compared to a Dayton HO. Two people near me have the Daytons. We will test them side by side in our subwoofer showdown.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Mooble, You've hit it just right, Its hard to desribe unless you experience it yourself. The 9' drivers are the same, best mid-bass that I have ever heard! I had the scanspeak, the Dynaudio mw182, the scanspeak are good, but the morel rocks! the dynaudio just does not compare.

·
Premium Member
1,637 Posts
I think the question he is driving at is what spec is responsible for this and how to compare that spec to other subs. To that I would say that most of the blending is dependent on tuning, not the sub. If you have a sub tuned low with a very steep slope, it's going to be obvious when the sub is playing vs the front stage etc.

Here is my take: the one thing that I think is remarkably different about the Ultimo is the "tightness" of the bass. As I mentioned previously, the bass is more natural, not boomy. If you have a boomy sub, it will sound very different than your midbass playing the same frequency. In that regard, the Ultimo is kinda like a super midbass. It sounds like a midbass, but with much more output. That is why it blends well. You don't hear that trademark sub boominess which is very easy to pick out.

My question is this: what specs are responsible for bass "tightness?" Is it a combination of motor strength and moving mass? I don't think so because I have used subs with more powerful motors AND lighter cones and they were still boomy. Maybe it's the cone material. Why does the Ultimo sound so un-boomy? How can we quantify that characteristic?
It's the sum of the parts: stiff, lightweight cone, low moving mass, strong motor, well damped chassis, low voice coil inductance, reasonable Xmax, etc. The "tightness" and ability to disappear that everyone references is, in my opinion due largely to the following: 1. the ability of the sub to reach Xmax, and recover quickly, yielding great transient response, and no overhang of the notes played; 2) then add extremely low distortion, resulting in uncannny clarity and lack of coloration of the notes played.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Buzzman i love the word used there to desribe the Ultimo (uncanny clarity) very good choice of words, because it almost seems unreal.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
10" is the smallest Ultimo, but you could get an Elate 9 or Supremo 9. They are not the same animal, however.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Those 9's are a mid-bass driver able to be xover up to 26K but the best complement for the Ultimo

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Do we have any data on this sub? The whitepaper didn't really excite me. From what I recall the large coil/double magnet motors that Morel favors generally doesn't perform all that well distortion wise.

I used to own the old Morel swr1, which was TC built and that was a superb sub. It looks as if the Ultimo is more of a larger built version of their traditional midwoofers than a true sub.

Some photos of my old swr-1.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
^^^ Seems to be the same thing as the old Renaissance (Morel) Cannon made by TC. I let one get away on ebay for under $150 IIRC. :mad:

The Ultimo does sound like magic to the ear, however. It sounds much better than low distortion XBL subs that I've heard.

41 - 60 of 651 Posts