DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 2180 Posts

·
I'm baaaack!!
4,397 Posts
Hey,

I might be able to give you some proper informations about the Mosconi DSPs, as they were developed by a german guy called Frank M.

The first idea was to create a high-quality dsp, which is not bound to any limits given by a GUI, so he started to work on the "Mindmap". After a while this project has been sold to Mosconi and the Mindmap became the 6to8, which is now limited to a GUI, so that unexp. people don´t burn down their subs by adding a EQ on 20Hz with +200dB. (which was possible with the Mindmap)

This processor might be the best thing, which is avaiable on the market as it has several features:
- you are able to control your volume with your headunit, while useing the digital in. so you don´t need a additional controller as the bitone needs it
- it should be build out of the finest electronics, which are on the market

It is possible (here in Germany) to get this thing "hacked" so that you can run it the way it was supposed to be (but with loss of warranty) and setup the EQs and crossovers the way you want them to be. (ex: 549,79 Hz + 3db).

The gladen amps might consist out of smaller parts from the 6to8.

That is what I know so far and can be read here:
klangfuzzis.de/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=62099&hilit=mindmap&start=435
Very cool. Thank you for sharing that info. This could indeed be very promising!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wow that looks pretty sweet. I'm digging all the filter types - I've never even heard of a chebychev filter before, had to look it up. The parametric eq & phase adjustments makes me wish I could've waited on the bit1.

Looking forward to screenshots of the software.

·
Registered
840 Posts
it does look promising.
what do they mean by " adjustable by graphical tools by diagram"?

·
Registered
451 Posts
"- you are able to control your volume with your headunit, while useing the digital in. so you don´t need a additional controller as the bitone needs it"

i dont see how that is possible, i havent heard of a headunit that has a variable digital output, in car audio. thats not how they work. a digital optical output is always the same no mater where the source volume is, the dsp will control the output volume on the analog side. thats the whole point of digital is just information in bit, no volume adjustments.

i dont understand how you could use the source units volume control to control the digital output unless the processor was hooked up to the analog also and was using the volume signal from the rca(analogy output) but using the actual audio from the digital output of the source unit, now thats a good idea, maybe thats it.... if that is how it works that is a really good idea, and audison should have done it.

anyways, i doubt it would make my switch over to it, my bitone has served me well for almost 2 years no with no problems. also i tend to love the dash controller, i use it for controlling the sub output mostly, and changing presets. also the bitone's software is about the best right now.

·
Registered
515 Posts
"- you are able to control your volume with your headunit, while useing the digital in. so you don´t need a additional controller as the bitone needs it"

i dont see how that is possible, i havent heard of a headunit that has a variable digital output, in car audio. thats not how they work. a digital optical output is always the same no mater where the source volume is, the dsp will control the output volume on the analog side. thats the whole point of digital is just information in bit, no volume adjustments.

i dont understand how you could use the source units volume control to control the digital output unless the processor was hooked up to the analog also and was using the volume signal from the rca(analogy output) but using the actual audio from the digital output of the source unit, now thats a good idea, maybe thats it...
That was going to be my guess.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts

i dont understand how you could use the source units volume control to control the digital output unless the processor was hooked up to the analog also and was using the volume signal from the rca(analogy output) but using the actual audio from the digital output of the source unit, now thats a good idea, maybe thats it.... if that is how it works that is a really good idea, and audison should have done it.

anyways, i doubt it would make my switch over to it, my bitone has served me well for almost 2 years no with no problems. also i tend to love the dash controller, i use it for controlling the sub output mostly, and changing presets. also the bitone's software is about the best right now.
They could be referring specifically to car with a MOST system and a Mobridge digital preamp. Where the head unit keeps all the tone and volume functionality and the Modbridge device supplies a compatible S/PDIF signal for the processor. All in the digital domain.

·
Registered
451 Posts
gocha, that wouldnt help me... i wish audison would just come out with some firware updates with new features in the software, i bet there are a few including my self, that if the right stuff came along would pay good money for it.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
If this lives up to it's billing I am so in, basically an expanded Zapco DSP6 with newer software and more channels.
DSP8 is not that far away from being released. I know someone that was testing a DSP8 not too long ago:p

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
DSP8 is not that far away from being released. I know someone that was testing a DSP8 not too long ago:p
Will it ever come out with Matt Roberts not being part of Zapco anymore?

Kelvin

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts

I thought exactly that

Kelvin

·
Registered
33 Posts
im looking forward to having a play when we get them, software is fully upgradable and i believe there is some extra hardware in there that will be turned on or come into use with future upgrades

software is ready and i should have a preview copy in the next few weeks, should of had it a few weeks ago but turned out a bigger file than first though :mean:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well in regards to the cost issue, it depends on features... You could pick up the DEX-99 and have a decent amount of processing in an all in one unit. In the case of the stand alones you spend $800 plus say $400-600 for a headunit. But if the features are broader that what the 99 offers it can be worth while. That was one of my hang ups with the old P9, it was a nice unit but didn't have all the flexibility I needed...

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
Well in regards to the cost issue, it depends on features... You could pick up the DEX-99 and have a decent amount of processing in an all in one unit. In the case of the stand alones you spend $800 plus say $400-600 for a headunit. But if the features are broader that what the 99 offers it can be worth while. That was one of my hang ups with the old P9, it was a nice unit but didn't have all the flexibility I needed...
The P99 doesn't have PEQ or not a lot.
The GEQ in the P99 is 1/3 oct only.
Which means the Mosconi processor is way above in terms of versatility.

Kelvin

·
Registered
71 Posts
Absolutely, like I said it all depends on the functions you need. As far as EQ the P9 had all I needed it was the crossover settings that I would have liked more freedom in. A unit that was fully open and let you set any frequency and slope as well as EQ, TA, etc is great to have if you need it. Some do, some don't...

·
Registered
515 Posts
If the DSP8 from Zapco comes out ( still skeptical ) how will it compare to the DSP6, identical software and hardware with 2 more channels? If so then I think the Mosconi may have the advantage still.

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
If the DSP8 from Zapco comes out ( still skeptical ) how will it compare to the DSP6, identical software and hardware with 2 more channels? If so then I think the Mosconi may have the advantage still.
I read on the forum that the software is different (hardware? assuming yes) but not the interface since it was great to use.

Kelvin

21 - 40 of 2180 Posts