DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I could get my hands on a Mosconi 6to8 pro DSP for a good price.

My current setup is:

Car: Honda CRV 2010
HU: Pioneer AVIC-F70DAB
Amp: Alpine pdx-v9
Front speakers: Hertz MLK 165.3 passive
Rear Speakers: Hertz .... only turned on for passengers (kids mainly).
Sub: Gladen zero pro 12 (being replaced but not really important for the discussion).

So, I now have purchased a DSP. Not really neccesary but I figured I could optimize my setup with 1. I was thinking of running my fronts active on the PDX. Currently I have the bridged on the 4 channels (2 x 240w). My Rear speakers run on the internal HU amp. They dont need much because most of the time they are turned of. Will 120w will be sufficient for the mid drivers (120w for the tweeters is overkill but I dont have any other channels)?

- So how do i connect the hu -> dsp -> amp? I think I still use 2 outputs on my hu (front and sub)? Or can I use only 1 and configure it as full range on my hu? from the DSP I guess I need 3 outputs to my amp? 1 for the tweeters, 1 for the mid bass and 1 for the Sub?

- Next thing is, I use my presets on the HU if I want to switch between position front left and all (I use these to enable the rear speakers and turn the volume down of the sub). Can I still use these presets in combination with the dsp? I guess I could also use just 1 preset, and turn of the rear speakers manually. Any suggestions as I cannot control the rear speakers with the dsp. For the tuning part I still have to buy a mic and use REW, I will be using this when I have connected the dsp with the amp and connected all speakers for active mode.

- Until now I have not been really happy with the hertz set in my car. I hope I can improve the sound with a DSP and active setup but I have been not impressed especially with the tweeters. Will it be a good upgrade to replace these with ml280.3 tweets or can I gain a lot with DSP tuning? Anyone has experience with the hertz 165.3 vs the 1600.3/280.3?

·
Registered
104 Posts
How many input channels depends on how much control you want. If you want to keep subwoofer level control at the head unit i would do full range front and sub out from head unit.
The presets question depends on whether you're running any eq, ta, or crossovers with the presets. If it'll output the same clean signal, i don't see it as an issue

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I use the presets mainly for speaker volume control. When I select postion "All" it lowers the volume for the frontspeakers a bit, and it lowers volume of the sub. I now have a subcontrol on the amp which I can use, so that is no issue. I can also lower the volume of the front speakers with the fader I guess. TA is being disabled with that preset, so that only could cause an issue if I have only 1 preset for all listening positions. But most of the time I use preset "Left front" which enables TA. EQ and crossovers are globally set, so that is also no issue.

For me, the main win with a DSP is that I have greater control over all of the separate speakers and better eq control (currently I have only 13 bands, I can hardly control the sub freqencies). The pioneer deck supports network mode for a active setup but then I cannot use the rear speakers full range.

Is there any advantage if I use pre outs for the front channel and the sub channel? If I only would connect the front pre out in full range, I could also separate the sub frequencies with a seperate sub out on the dsp? That would save me a extra rca, but I don't know if it is necessary or not.

·
Registered
104 Posts
If you just use the front out on the head unit, you'll effectively lower front and sub when you fade to rear speakers for the kids. No need for presets or ta. I would ta, eq, and crossover at the dsp. Just use eq on the head unit if needed a little when running rear speakers. Bypass the eq when running just the fronts so you don't jack up your front stage when solo

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, I see that makes sense. Because for the headunit I only have front if I use only the front out.
I will connect the sub out seperate just in case I have the need to control the sub on the headunit.
Thanks for your clarification.

Any ideas on the tweeter for the Hertz set? Should I leave it for now as it is and see how it turns out with seperate control with the dsp or am I better off replacing it for something better? (maybe someone who knows the hertz sets)
If I run active maybe I have more choices since I don't have the use the passive crossovers anymore.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I would run active if you can. More speaker level control to get them all playing better together. For now equalizing out any nasty peaks in your frequency response will help I'm sure. Work with what you have for now. If it's not enough to get you where you want, then go active.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts