DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 359 Posts

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To me blowing thousands of dollars on stuff that's winning trophies in the sq lanes is overated. What makes some of these people think that some of this stuff is going to work for them too? Tuning and install is at least 80% of the final results.

Most underated in my eyes is putting the spec sheets and response graphs aside and trying stuff out in a real install. If it doesn't work out there will always be someone else willing to try to make it work for them.

Now a rant: If someone says a certain product is the end-all be-all take it with a grain of salt. We all like different things. I prefer the sound of higher efficiency drivers because they seem to sound more effortless. Others prefer a more neutral sound. While this is called PERSONAL PREFERENCE this thing we call "sq" is 100% OBJECTIVE. There is NOTHING SUBjective about sq.

OK, I feel better now:blush:

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
there you go.

now, what got you all bunched up? :confused:

Edit: nvmnd. found it:
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?p=598304#post598304

:confused:
I'm equally as tired of the "ZOMG HAT is the best and you're nutz if you don't like them" posts as I am the ZOMG get the ID OEM'z you'll love them they're the best cheap mids EVAR posts. They sound fine until you listen to them on axis:eek:dejo said something about distortion in the upper frequencies beaming and being there no matter how low you cross.

·
18,542 Posts
To me blowing thousands of dollars on stuff that's winning trophies in the sq lanes is overated. What makes some of these people think that some of this stuff is going to work for them too? Tuning and install is at least 80% of the final results.

here's your answer, in your own words...

My personal preference says HAT sounds like shit but what do I know:blush:I'll take a utopia mid over a legatia mid any day of the week. That's why I usually tell people to listen to someones install before dropping that kind of coin on something. Sure it's all in the tuning and install but you can tell a lot about a driver even with bad tuning imo.

Why do you have to USE something to get an idea of its tonal properties?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I'm equally as tired of the "ZOMG HAT is the best and you're nutz if you don't like them" posts as I am the ZOMG get the ID OEM'z you'll love them they're the best cheap mids EVAR posts. They sound fine until you listen to them on axis:eek:dejo said something about distortion in the upper frequencies beaming and being there no matter how low you cross.
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

What happened since this thread?

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32997

It seems to me that you were one of those ZOMG get the ID OEM'z you'll love them they're the best cheap mids EVAR people. What changed?

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I understand completely and I think I would agree that ultimately tuning is what is going to make a car sound great. I would also say that no matter how much tuning you do, you will still be limited when using a crappy driver.

the real question is how would these or any other drivers do when running in a passive system in an optimal enclosure where the sound quality is not room dependent.

the biggest issue we have is the environment and since it changes for every car and many listeners due to height, size and seating position it can not easily be over come by dropping in an expensive speaker. The sound in each car needs to be customized. :)

Most underrated = Zuki
Someone heard a new install;):D

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
483 Posts
Overrated: peoples opinions on whether a product is under or over rated.

everyone's perception of worth is different and personal.

Unless you list very specifically what makes a product over or under rated, threads like this are useless.

Who rates this shit anyway?...and based on what?

Over rated: Bottled water (I can get water free from my tap)
Under rated: Bottled water (my local water supply is so polluted that I can't drink it, bottled water becomes very under rated)

EDIT: was making a point, I know the thread title specifies "car audio"

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
overated: REALLY big speakerwire on everything including tweeters

underated: clean power

1 - 20 of 359 Posts