DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1994 40' motorhome that came from the factory with a somewhat credible sound system that I am ready to update.

The current system consists of all Sony components as follows:

- XR-C410 Head Unit (Single DIN, cassette, CD Changer control, AM/FM Radio)
- XE-90 Mk II Graphic Equalizer (9 band, subwoofer control, 6 3/4" x 7/8")
- CDX-U70 10 disc CD Changer
- 2 x XM-2020 20Wx2 amp for each of front and rear speakers
- 2x XL-PL45 Front 2-way speakers ( 5 1/4" Woofer, 1" tweeter next to each other) montef on vertical cabinet face.
- 2x 5 1/4" 2-way coaxial rear speakers, ceiling mounted
- XM-3020 30Wx2 amp for subwooofer
- XS-L80C Subwoofer mounted in an enclusure under the couch.

I would like to stay with single DIN for the HU to fit in the same place in the dash, and need to have iPod/USB support. All things being equal, I would pick Sony to match the Graphic Equalizer. One unit I saw is the SONY DSX-S310BTX for $209 on eBay. Bluetooth is a plus.

I would keep the Graphic Equalizer or I could replace with something the same size to match the new head unit.

I am not too concerned with keeping the CD Changer. Perhaps the Smithsonian would like it.

I plan to replace all the speakers. 17 years of service is enough to expect from them.

The front speakers are a plate design with the drivers next to each other. I could open up the mount and put a 6x9 in there. I could also replace them with a mounting plate and attach something like the Mirage OMD-5 on a wall bracket Mirage OMD-5 if that would be better sound than car speakers. These are $119 each from eBay.

The rear speakers really need to remain a ceiling mount for clearance purposes. I could enlarge the mounting holes to put a larger speaker in there. I would likely mount a component with the tweeter coaxial, but could mount them separately.

I can replace the amps if that is a improvement. Mounting space is relatively abundant.

Budget: I would like to keep it to $600, but could stretch that for a noticable improvement.

It has to sound good travelling, as well as stationary. It doesn't have to win any competitions.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations, especially on whether the OMD's are a good idea.

Paul Whittle
Alpharetta, GA

·
Registered
220 Posts
That's a classic system you have there!

Front speakers. The Mirage's are a good idea I think.

I would ditch the EQ. I would put anything in that place other than an EQ. Metra and other car mounting kit companies make single DIN pockets that would be great to hold an IPod or phone or whatever.

The CD changer may still work with a new deck. It wouldn't hurt to keep it.

Unless the amps are broken, or not loud enough for you I would let them stay. A working amp that sounds nice is always a good thing.

When purchasing the ceiling speakers, make sure they come with grilles. Not all speakers come with their own grilles anymore.

·
Banned
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like replacing the EQ with a tray. I think I may have one left over from a previous install.

I also expect new HU's to have integrated controls for the different channels and crossovers.

Paul

·
Registered
811 Posts
Any pics? RV & stereo? Looking to do a stereo in my RV however my setup is stock & complete junk. Possibly we could toss more ideas if we see pics....

DP?

·
Banned
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is a Monaco Crown Royale Signature Edition, 40 ft Diesel Pusher, no slides.

We just bought it a couple months ago and still haven't taken any pictures of the inside yet. I'll try to post some exterior shots when I get to my PC.

Paul

·
Banned
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Re: Motorhome Audio Update - Measurements

Tonight I pulled the speakers out of the motorhome. The sub had torn all the way around. One of the fronts was torn all the way round.

I also measured the enclosures so that you could help me make an informed selection on speakers.

The fronts are mounted into a sealed wood cabinet that is 12" high x 12" wide with the depth going from 5" to 6 1/2". I make it .48 cu ft.

The rears are mounted in the 1 3/4" ply wood ceiling, with about another 1 1/2" to the fiberglass roof. The current hole is 5" in diameter.

The 8" sub is mounted in a sealed 25" long x 15" wide x 6" high down firing enclosure. I make that 1.30 cu ft.

Here are some pictures:

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Paul

1 - 6 of 6 Posts