DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just bought a paid of Dayton RS 180 which has to go in my factory door location with a 6.5" hole. I knew it would require some sort of modification before buying it, just not sure what is the best, open to suggestions how to put this inside. The RS180 has 6 mounting screws, while my original one (blue) has only 4. The car door has circular extruded plastic mounting which sits on top the inner door metal.

My setup

450/4
300/4
500/1
RS180
Seas Neo
Kappa 6x9 (rear)
W6v2

Open to suggestions to mount it as well as system changes for SQ.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
use an MDF baffle or HDP baffle....maybe try googling for your answer, it will give you a better idea of what needs to be done and you can come back here and ask more specific questions

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
use an MDF baffle or HDP baffle....
i though about that ... so I got to take out the factory plastic mount and replace it with a mdf baffle which fits my speakers. what kind of screws and glue you recommend for the purpose of attaching the mdf to the metal skin ?

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
There are different ways to mount the baffle to the metal skin....i have used metal screws, nut with locking bolt, and hurricane nuts. All seemed to work the same in my experience. I would use a sealant/silicone/butyl between the metal and the baffle to create a seal and not necessarily as an adhesive

·
Registered
205 Posts
sorry to revive this but i'm trying to figure out how to mount 7" or 8" woofers in my car and honestly, i don't know what to google to get good results.

from the sounds of it you make your MDF baffle to fit the new driver and mount it over the OE location just by driving screws through both the MDF and the door. is that correct? use some dynamat type material to create a seal between the metal and the MDF and drill it in?

and maybe a real basic question, what do you use to mark your cut out area? like how do you get a perfect circle?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts