DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best way to mount amplifiers to the back of a sedans seat? In my car, the back of rear seat is made from some kind of metal sheet. Ideally I would like to attach to it a piece of 13Wx8L MDF and screw the amplifier to it.

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,005 Posts
I bolted particle board shelving to the rear seat back in my Civic (made of metal) and used t-nuts and machine screws to hold the amplifiers in. MDF should work just fine too.

I tried mounting an amplifier directly to the rear seat back in my 2006 rustang (made of composite) and ended up hearing a bang one day while driving because the amp worked itself loose from the plastic.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bolted particle board shelving to the rear seat back in my Civic (made of metal) and used t-nuts and machine screws to hold the amplifiers in. MDF should work just fine too.

I tried mounting an amplifier directly to the rear seat back in my 2006 rustang (made of composite) and ended up hearing a bang one day while driving because the amp worked itself loose from the plastic.
I wonder how do you bolt things to the metal.. do you drill, do I need to take off the cloth cover, etc?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Be careful of drilling into metal that you dont hit gas lines or other things. I once put a hole through a gas tank like that :)

·
Registered
564 Posts
Be careful of drilling into metal that you dont hit gas lines or other things. I once put a hole through a gas tank like that :)
Well I don't think many people have to worry about drilling into the gas tanks built into their rear seats.

Also, before drilling, make sure the metal is thick enough and you don't drill too deep. I had a car with an armrest in the back seat, when I drilled it put a hole in the little hollow the armrest folds into.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts