DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2010 HHR
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this isnt the right category to post this.

I'm quite happy with the setup in my sig, even with 4 channel amp gains at minimum. It's a nice entry level sq setup that I can turn the head unit volume up to 62 without problems on most songs.

But...Im one of those guys who likes to let everyone else hear what I'm playing.

I ran 2 prv 6mr500 v3's in the doors. They were loud...turned heads...but the sibilance (spelling?) Was horrible and it hurt my ears.

So ive decided to run 1-2 6.5 in each rear window. I want to make a bracket that positions the speakers facing out.

The door itself seems to have no usable space so I figured the seat bolt brackets on the b and c pillars would be perfect.

I never have anyone in my car so it would not be an issue.

The plan is to flip a switch that powers the second 4 channel (jp234) and roll the windows down. I would cover the speakers with black grill cloth so they cant be seen.

The amp should be here today.

I want to get this going.

Eventually i want a hinge that locks so I can fold the panel up out of the way.

I figure a 1/8" thick piece of steel would be good. But I'm open to ideas.

If anyone local (925, 408, 415, 209, 916, 510, etc) I would pay or give trades for the help.

Here are some pics of the rear window area.

The ones with my finger are where the rubber door seal sits. So I assume mounting on the door is out of the question.

Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive mirror Automotive exterior

Wood Gesture Finger Flooring Rectangle

Arm Leg Human body Stairs Dress

·
Registered
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss Crew Cab
2,167 Posts
You want to blast the outside of your car with your music? Am I really reading this? Is this a late April fools joke? The sad thing is I know you are serious.

To be totally honest I think you are hanging out on the wrong stereo related forum.

·
Registered
2010 HHR
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What other forum is still active?

·
Registered
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss Crew Cab
2,167 Posts

·
Registered
2010 HHR
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I live in the east bay. Led underlights and grill mounted speakers are common. This will be more classy.

·
Registered
2010 HHR
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got a piece of flat bar mounted to seat belt bolts. Should be solid. If not, I'll go thicker.

Vehicle Hood Window Car Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2010 HHR
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No-go on the sealed box. Not enough room. I think free air will be fine at 300-400hz filtering??

I can always space the main bracket out for more room inwards.

I managed to get one side done. Although the screws did split (I used 1/2" mdf and even used the cabinetry cone shape predrill bit) so I'm thinking that 2 L brackets with nuts, bolts and washers on the face will solve the issue.

I covered it with some felt I had laying around. Google said hot glue works...so I did that and it came out nice!

Next step...making a home audio style cover with black speaker grill cloth. I want to use those plastic/rubber inserts that let you take the grill off. Anyone know what those are called? Goal is to have them hidden from view when I roll the window down.

Camera lens Rectangle Gadget Material property Automotive lighting

Automotive lighting Grille Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Super Moderator
2,007 Posts
Cue Allen Funt....

• Wow
Reactions: 96jimmyslt

·
Registered
2010 HHR
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright they sound perfect outside but I didn't have enough room to give them a box. So the drivers side is the closest speaker to my ear. It overpowers every other speaker in the car.

Is there some way I can seal them up if I only have 1/8" behind them? Do I need to keep the vent pole clear or can I butt a piece of mdf right to it?

·
Registered
2010 HHR
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the info. I will have to space the main bracket out so I can box them up properly then. For now I'll turn the gain down on their amp.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts