DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the title should explain it pretty well. Here's the problem:

I have some SLS 8's going into the doors, and the area surrounding the factory speaker hole is very uneven. Mostly it's on the same plane but there are a couple low spots that are about .75-1" lower than the rest of the area. What techniques can I use to bring that up to level with the rest of the area for a good tight seal, short of cutting into the door?

·
Registered
390 Posts
build up the low spots with a mix of clay, deadener, and wood "shims"?

·
Registered
148 Posts
lay some fiberglass mat around the hole to get a perfect seal. position your ring and attach the 2 pieces with ca glue or epoxy etc. fill the gaps with duraglass or chopped fiberglass mat. done.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
I used great stuff expanding foam (the kind for windows and doors) and silicone sealant. The Great Stuff (for windows and doors) stays flexible and is easy to trim. I squirted it in, let it set and then also beaded both the inside and outside diameters of the baffles with silicone sealant. Worked quite well and is much easier than doing the fiberglass option, imo.
I'll probably also use non-hardening modeling clay around the inside and outside as a third measure for the overkill factor when I open the doors up again to install more deadening and deflex pads.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Use washers to take up the slack when mounting the baffle.....much more solid......using washers will allow you to tighten the baffle down as much as possible, then you can use whatever means you feel necessary to fill in the void....

i always advocate using clay around baffles.....some people have reservations using clay.....but my baffles survived last summer, and are holding out on this summer just fine.....

·
Registered
875 Posts
lay some fiberglass mat around the hole to get a perfect seal. position your ring and attach the 2 pieces with ca glue or epoxy etc. fill the gaps with duraglass or chopped fiberglass mat. done.
In my opinion this is the right way to do it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts