DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing a replacement set of 2-way speakers in the front doors of my 2002 BMW e46. I could use some advice on how to attach the 6.5" mid-bass speakers to the doors: to the door cards from above or positioned underneath the factory opening? In either case I'm going to mount the speakers to a baffle to the door frame. My replacement speakers measure 5.6" across to the outer edges of the rubber surround (yellow arrow in pic). My dilemma is that the factory opening is also 5.6" in diameter, and I'm assuming I don't want the rubber to contact anything that would inhibit speaker movement.

My re-retrimming skills are largely imaginary, so if I cut the hole in the door larger to accommodate the speaker I'm going to need aftermarket grills to cover the edges. In that case, is it better sound-wise to mount the speaker on top of the door card and then attach it to a baffle? Would it be of any benefit to angle the speakers more towards the opposite side seat? They currently fire pretty much horizontally into the center console.

Or is the opening diameter sufficient for good sound, and should I just mount the speaker slightly under the factory opening and make some sort of connecting tube that would seal the speaker to the underside of the door card?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Blue Gas Rim Electric blue Audio equipment

·
Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Sonata V6
763 Posts
Do you have photos of the door with the panels removed, and front & back of the panels? That would help a lot.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here are a couple of pics of my progress so far. I cut out the door frame behind the speaker and it was too irregular for me to attach a baffle, so I formed a cylinder out of some 18ga steel. The idea is to get the depth right and then weld it to the door frame. I'll add some tabs to the side facing the door panel and this will give me a surface to attach a mounting surface. My thought was to cut up some plastic cutting board to use as the mounting material.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Auto part

Here are the front and back of the door panels. On the back side I cut out the factory mounting points so I could fit my replacement speaker into the cavity. I haven't smoothed anything out yet but the speaker will fit.
Bumper Luggage and bags Automotive design Automotive exterior Bag

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Rim Gas

I also made a spacer from a 1/2" thick cutting board. I figured something like this could be used on top of the speaker to space it down under the door panel, or under the speaker to help attach to the steel cylinder.
Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

1 - 4 of 4 Posts