DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a toyota tundra that has limited subwoofer room behind the rear seat (max mounting depth around 5"). I'm looking into moving the seat 2" forward to fit 2 full size subs back there.

Question for the forum, assuming it is done by a professional, do you think it is this safe? I have a child that rides on the rear seat and her safety comes first. Has anyone else modified seat height or moved a seat forward or back?

Also, I currently have a 1.5 cu ft box in the back seat strapped to the floor. It is in there pretty well, but in the event of a collision, that could actually be as much or more dangerous than moving the seat.

Thanks, I appreciate all input.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
What about making the seat bottom a complete sub build, essentially replacing the rear seat bottom and covering it with a cushion and material for seating? Use the original mounting points and just use thick rubber washers to ensure the enclosure stays airtight when bolted down.

But I think the key to safety is ensuring the seats are bolted securely and the seat belts are still fully usable. And I’d especially make sure everything was secure, bolted, strong, and safe before transporting your daughter. But also think of potential liability if you were transporting others and your modifications were substandard.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The truck model that I have has very little space below the seat, it's actually more shallow than behind the seat. Going below the seat is out for now. I did consider a seat delete for the 40% seat (keep the larger 60% seat), but my wife would castrate me and I enjoy having my balls attached to my body.

Yes, I totally agree on potential safety issues. I'll only move forward if a well regarded shop that has done this before feels comfortable with doing the job.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I dont know about Tundra, there are a couple seat mods for 2nd gen Taco. One had to do with moving the seat latch which made the backrest more vertical. The other was raising the seat up with washers. I am not sure how much is gained bur definitely worth looking into . I did not do either mod and abandoned the A-pillar project for potential airbag issue. Luckily in the taco i could fit a dayton ho 10. Like you passenger safety and domestic tranquillity is priceless.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know my installer moved my back seat up 2" on f350 cewcab to down fire 4 jl 8w7's and its fine. I know this has nothing to do with toyota's but its completely safe & plus the subs sound amazing

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks ezmason. I've heard it's very common, but I dont know anyone that has personally done it.

In Tundras the back seat has an enormous amount of leg room. Since it's just my wife and our baby, we dont need leg room for a 6'5" person. Moving the seat would open up a world of options for me.

I'll keep the thread posted on updates.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Peterec. I've heard about those mods. There is one that allows you to top the back of the seat down (opposed to the bottom of the seat up).

In the tundra the seats have brackets affixed to them, so those would not move. Under the carpet the seat is bolted to a piece of metal on the floor. So, I would need a new threaded spot on the metal piece on the floor. I dont think it will be impossible, but for safety reasons I'm not going to attempt to do it myself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts