DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you know if it is possible to change the version of LAME encoding used on existing MP3's? I have a bunch of files that do not play in my Volvo, but play fine on anything else. After doing some research I found a thread that indicates that the Volvo head unit does not like things converted with the 3.99.x encoding format, the fix is to essentially re-encode them with an earlier version of the LAME format (3.95.x). But, I can't seem to find something that will allow me to basically keep the same bit rate as the original file and not make any changes, other than just updating the LAME format.

My concern with if I have to re-encode them, at least for ones I do not have CD's or FLAC copies of, is that encoding one MP3 to another MP3 is going to make the quality awful. Any suggestions? It's frustrating having a bunch of files not play.

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,336 Posts
dbpoweramp may do it. You'll need to do a little research, but it's the software that I use for everything, it's pretty powerful, so I suspect it will do what you want.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
569 Posts
Are u saying that the Volvo isn't capable of decrypting 3.99x-encoded files? If that's the case, there is no way to avoid converting them. Still, using the maximum bitrate of 320, I don't think the re-encoded files would be noticeably worse.

Or are u saying that the Volvo doesn't like the 3.99x tag in an MP3 file? I've seen a similar issue in video players, where it won't play a certain video stream. But if u change the tag, it plays fine -- even though the file is still encoded exactly as it was before. In that case, u just need a program that can change the tag info. I don't know of any, but I'm sure something like that exists. Maybe try searching for an MP3 metadata editor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure, I think it cannot read the tag's, the only info I found was on a Volvo site and was pretty vague. In the end I ran them through MP3Packer, which leaves the encoding the same (or should have done) but clears invalid info from the tags. Tried that and it appears to have worked.

Still, I miss having the Kenwood from my Audi, that just played whatever the hell I threw at it.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top