DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I have a set of Peerless Csx autosounds 6.5s that I was thinking of using. Now after reading Npdangs post about 8ohm speakers, I was wondering if it would be worth trying it. The charging system is weaker, and I been thinking of using the newer full range digital amps to try and squeeze as much as possible out of it. Going 8ohms maybe the way to go.

The stock tweeter locations are in top of the dash. May not be the best location, but is there a way I can use this? Most of the large home audio tweeters will fit rather easily here, and I would like to go that route. I need a set of tweeters that can be crossed low and match with the Peerless (or whatever) in the bottom front of the doors. They are set pretty far from the glass and the interior is mostly plastic. These maybe things to consider.

As for the sub. Is there a good 8? If one is enough then I will install it under the passenger front seat. If we decide 2 or more should be used then I will be forced to install in the rear hatch door. I dont need response to 20hz, doesnt need to be loud, just need to take a load off the 6.5s or 7s.

To me midrange is the most important, along with a smooth tweeter. Not looking to get LOUD. Dont need perfect imaging. Trying to get the best mp3 player I can. I listen to mostly "good" Mp3s that I rip from my own cds in the car, so I need a set of speakers to hide most of the impurities while still improving SQ over stock.

Amps will be decided when I choose my drivers, and everything will be crossed over actively, either by a separate unit or by the head unit if I choose to get one with crossovers.

Sorry about the long post, and thank you all for all your help.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
If you can fit a large format tweeter, I would definitely do that. Not sure what your budget is, but check out the review forum for links on sites that have tons of tweeter reviews. www.zaphaudio.com has some good info, as well as our own review forum.

A good 8" sub maybe a jlw7 ? Most 8" subs I've seen that have any decent amount of output have relatively horrible efficiency though.

Also, you may want to consider any number of Seas CA/L/G 18rnx/p drivers or the Dayton reference series drivers at partsexpress.com and madisound.com instead of the Peerless. That was definitely a good buy back in the day, but I think it's time has come and gone.

·
Registered
206 Posts
silent1 said:
The charging system is weaker, and I been thinking of using the newer full range digital amps to try and squeeze as much as possible out of it.
I've wondered the same thing, since I'm using A/B for everything and have a smaller charging system. I've heard from people saying full range class D or amps utilizing Tripath both are indistinguishable sound wise from A/B when covering the full bandwidth, and I have also heard the opposite.
npdang, I was reading you use an Avionixx class T, is there any SQ issues you've experienced with using it full range? **I believe I have heard that the PS on the Avionixx T's can be noisy?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.