DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a mid-budget SQ build. I am planning to use an MS-8 and would like input on my front stage configuration. I plan to use Image Dynamics CTX-6.5cs for the fronts.

Would you use the passive crossover with an MS-8 or run the tweeters as a separate channel? If I use the passive, it would save me an amp but that is not a deal killer for me. If I have the second amp, I would have room to add 6 1/2" or 8" mid-woofer down the road if needed.

Your thoughts and comments appreciated.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I would run them without the X-over, and figure out what is a good slope/ cutoff for them and BI-amp them with the setting coaxial mode on the MS-8.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
....BI-amp them with the setting coaxial mode on the MS-8.

Thanks...
Sorry, the noob in me has come out. Will you explain this a bit more for me please? Are you meaning to hook the mid and tweeter up to the same output on the amp, or easier is just wire from the mid to the tweet?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I'd run them Active, using the two way mode on the Ms-8 using a separate channel for each driver. if you are strickly in it for SQ and not as concerned about the ability to get REALLY loud, run your tweeters off of the built in amp of the MS-8. that also saves you an amplifier /2 channels.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I would run my fronts fully active. This should result in better SQ given MS-8s ability to tune each individual driver. The only issue is that you need a couple of amplifier channels to run tweeters. You could use MS-8's internal amplifier, but it has limitations, and may result in MS-8 turning down he output of the external amplifiers to match the gains for all other speakers with the tweeters. What you can do is install the MS-8 now, use the internal amp for tweeters and see how it goes.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for the input, active it is. I'll probably use the second amp just so it is the same as the other speakers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You could use MS-8's internal amplifier, but it has limitations, and may result in MS-8 turning down he output of the external amplifiers to match the gains for all other speakers with the tweeters.
What are the limitations of the internal amp (other than 18Wrms)? How many watts do you need for tweeters?

I need to order an amp... if I use the MS-8 amp for the tweeters that frees up space/money/bridging that can be put towards the woofers.

So in a 2-way system which option is better:

150W woofer 18W tweeter
or
75W woofer 75W tweeter
?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
What are the limitations of the internal amp (other than 18Wrms)? How many watts do you need for tweeters?

I need to order an amp... if I use the MS-8 amp for the tweeters that frees up space/money/bridging that can be put towards the woofers.

So in a 2-way system which option is better:

150W woofer 18W tweeter
or
75W woofer 75W tweeter
?
would need more info about the specs of both, also it depends what level of *loud* you are looking for.

·
Registered
30 Posts
would need more info about the specs of both, also it depends what level of *loud* you are looking for.
I'm looking at integrated full range class-D for size reasons. System is MS-8 active 2-way with no center or rear. Fronts are older Boston Z6 which aren't that efficient. Sub is 10" Dayton reference HF in sealed stealthbox.

A) JL Audio HD600/4 hi: 18W mid: 150W sub: 300W
B) JL Audio HD900/5 hi: 75W mid: 75W sub: 500W

I was thinking option A because it is less expensive... but I'm worried about using the MS-8 amp for the tweeters. Will it be enough power and will I need to control gain? With option B I'm concerned the Z6 woofers will eat up the 75W. I guess another option C is run the HD900/5 bridged and then have 18W/150W/500W.

Looking for SQ with balance freq response first and foremost. Doesn't have to be ear bleed levels but just trying to optimize and understand the weak points.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts