DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the stupid questions..never installed car audio before. I've been reading tons and trying to nail down the plans for my install. Equipment planned for the OEM HU Honda Accord '08:

Dynamat (full car)
JBL MS-8
JL Audio C5-650's in front
Disconnecting rears
JL HD900/5
IDQ10V3.D2 in a sealed 0.7cu ft. box
iSimple ISHD571 IPOD Controller

I have a few questions:
1) Since I'm not using the rears, should the front tweeter and mids connect to separate channels in active mode (versus bridged)? Can they handle 100W RMS each?
2) When running active, does the MS-8 take care of all the frequency filtering?
3) On the AMP, do you simply disable all the filter's so the MS8 can do the filtering?
4) What do you set the input mode to on the AMP? 4 Channel? Or 2 Channel?
5) With active mode, does it matter if the mids go to the rear or front or can you use either?

Sorry for the probably dumb questions, but I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Normally I would say yes, keep the rears disconnected. But in your case having the MS-8, I would say use the rear speakers. That's one of the things the MS-8 showcases is using the rears for added ambience to your stage.

And yes, the MS-8 has fully adjustable crossovers & a 31 band EQ for you to use after the MS-8 tune. Turn off all crossovers, EQ, boosts, etc on all other devices when the MS-8 does it's thing.

If you read the JBL manual it should answer all your questions above. If you have other questions regarding the MS-8 there's a 5k+ post thread on just about anything you'd need to know.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Sorry for the stupid questions..never installed car audio before. I've been reading tons and trying to nail down the plans for my install. Equipment planned for the OEM HU Honda Accord '08:

Dynamat (full car)
JBL MS-8
Disconnecting rears
JL HD900/5

I have a few questions:
1) Since I'm not using the rears, should the front tweeter and mids connect to separate channels in active mode (versus bridged)? Can they handle 100W RMS each?
2) When running active, does the MS-8 take care of all the frequency filtering?
3) On the AMP, do you simply disable all the filter's so the MS8 can do the filtering?
5) With active mode, does it matter if the mids go to the rear or front or can you use either?

Sorry for the probably dumb questions, but I appreciate the help.
No dumb questions! you are tackling a lot on your first install!

1) Count your outputs! 2 mids + 2 tweeters = 4. so you need all 4 channles of the JL amp. bridging will give you only 2 channels but goobs of power. No, no mid can handle 100 watts RMS continuous without frying. You wil go deaf before you get anywhere near that so don't worry, use all 4 channels and set all gain settings the same. I have my pioneer PRS amps all set for maximum gain, even the sub. The JL may be different depending on what the MS8 does. It will only send enough power to the mids and tweets as needed. 100 watts will be plenty for the mids, and way to much for the tweeters, but dont worry.
2) yes the MS8 does all the filtering. Download the manual and READ IT!!
3) yes. you dont want double filtering. If you cannot disable the sub low pass filter, set it at the maximum frequency.
4) see 1) you need 4 channels for mids and tweets.. Bridging will bring it down to only 2.
5) I presume you mean the JL amp. Its channels are designated Front L & R, Rear L & R. They are all the same. Deside on a convention and stick with it.

You still want to use your rear speakers! use the many amps built into the MS8 for them! they are only 18 watts rms but plenty for the ambience that the MS8 provides. Also when you set it up say NO to center, and turn Logic 7 ON. or try it on and off and decide for yourself!

You can also experiment by using your JL amp for the rears and the MS8 amps for the tweeters. try things and learn.

BE very carefull with the RCA connectors on the MS8 they are easy to break!

have fun! you have an amazing system!

·
Registered
834 Posts

Dynamat (full car)
JBL MS-8
Disconnecting rears
JL HD900/5

I have a few questions:
1) Since I'm not using the rears, should the front tweeter and mids connect to separate channels in active mode (versus bridged)? Can they handle 100W RMS each? Channels 1/2 for Tweeters & Channels 3/4 for Mids (or the other way around depending on amps power levels for each channel)
2) When running active, does the MS-8 take care of all the frequency filtering? YES
3) On the AMP, do you simply disable all the filter's so the MS8 can do the filtering? Yup. Turn everything to full-pass on the amps
Can't help you with 4 or 5 as I don't have the MS-8

Here's my 4 characters so I can post this message...

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Which model Accord?

You might need to disable the ANC, as well as getting a special harness (mercman harness iirc) for the balanced outputs between then head unit and OEM amp (if equipped).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Which model Accord?

You might need to disable the ANC, as well as getting a special harness (mercman harness iirc) for the balanced outputs between then head unit and OEM amp (if equipped).
08' Accord V6 w NAVI (has the premium sound). Looks like I can disable the two ANC mics from the back of the HU or at the mic ends. I've ordered a harness to cleanly tap the balanced outputs and bypass the amp.

So with the recommendation to use the rears, do you think the factory rears are OK? Or do you think I'll need to replace those?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
So with the recommendation to use the rears, do you think the factory rears are OK? Or do you think I'll need to replace those?
They should be fine, especially with the MS-8 powering them. They're used more for "fill". Try them out first, if you're not satisfied get you a decent set of cheap coax's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts