in a plate with a passive crossover one in each door mounted high
And zr 8 inch midbass mounted low in each door. I alo have a stealthbox
13w3 in the trunk. Can anybody help wth the settup and crossover points
not sure how to setup midbass or whether to go 1 way or 2 way
Any help would be great a try this way

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Have you read the manual? It is in there and I am 100% the answer your question is in the large JBL MS-8 thread, 3hrs isnt long enough to go through the whole thing but its in there if you search within it...sorry but not going to spoonfeed you something that has been discussed

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay thanks but i have to spend 8 hrs searching when sombody could
save me a lot of time and just point me in the right direction
6000 plus post are you serious

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Hi I did try to find my answer in the ms-8 post but after 3 hrs still no luck
so i am gonna try this. Hi All I need a little help with my setup
I have a stock head unit with a jl 900/5 amp and 4 speakers in
the doors. 2 speakers are 5-1/4 mid and 1 inch tweeter mounted
in a plate with a passive crossover one in each door mounted high
And zr 8 inch midbass mounted low in each door. I alo have a stealthbox
13w3 in the trunk. Can anybody help wth the settup and crossover points
not sure how to setup midbass or whether to go 1 way or 2 way
Any help would be great a try this way
ok lets see if i can get this straight,

you have in each door
1 inch tweeter
1 5 1/4 midrange
1 8 inch midbass

plus a 13w 3 in the trunk.

your amp is the jl900/5

so you have 5 channels of power 100x4 + 500x1

Using just what you have this is how i'd set up the ms-8

MS-8 outputs
  1. channel one left mid tweet passive xover @ 160hz @24 db
  2. channel two right mid tweet passive xover 160hz @24db
  3. channel three left midbass 8 xover 60hz and 160hz @24db
  4. channel four right midbass 8 xover 60hz and 160hz @24db
  5. channel eight sub 13w3 xover 60 @24db
your system would improve substantially if you purchased another 2 channel amp and went fully active.

hope this helps

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank You Very Much.
You saved me a lot of time i hvae been readin the ms8 thread for days now
and in five minutes you answered most of my questions.
I wish more people were as understanding as you. intead i get its in the manual or read the ms-8 post 6000 long which i did but after awhile it gets
confusing so again

Thanks very much

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Okay thanks but i have to spend 8 hrs searching when sombody could
save me a lot of time and just point me in the right direction
6000 plus post are you serious

Thanks for your help
My post count has nothing to do with your laziness or willingness to learn. I won't help someone that won't even read the manual :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Listen if you do not want to help do not answer my post
I did read the manual and most of those 6000 post and was a little confused.
We cannot all be great like you. Did anybody ever tell you you if you cannot
try to help then just go away

A--Hole

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your Right most people on this site are a great help
But i do not like to be called lazy or told i did not read the manual.

Thanks Again to those that helped

·
Registered
243 Posts
Listen if you do not want to help do not answer my post
I did read the manual and most of those 6000 post and was a little confused.
We cannot all be great like you. Did anybody ever tell you you if you cannot
try to help then just go away

A--Hole
Is that the right way to thank someone for helping you?
What kind of opinion do you think members will form of you? Of azngotskills?

I think it is reasonable for anyone starting a new hobby to read as much as they can. There are many websites that can be googled for you to learn all the basics of audio and car audio. Just google "car audio basics" and spend a few nights reading the top few sites.

There is also a notion of "learning the ropes" by starting small. Any hobbyist starts that way. You don't go full hog the first time out. That way you can also learn a bit by your mistakes, learn what kind of sound you like, and know what kind of questions to ask. Sometimes us "old timers" have a feeling that newbies just want all the answers right away to make that perfect kick ass system without putting any skin in the game. Dunno... maybe its the Xbox/PS generation that wants instant gratification.

I can understand azngotskills's frustration. I used to answer and help almost every post. But I now don't answer posts where I feel that the OP did not do his homework first.

So... consider appologising to azngotskills for calling him a place where digested food comes out. Maybe then us old timers may feel better about helping you again next time you have a question.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Seriously no apologies needed, he is just pissed that I called him out. If he read the ms8 manual as well as the thread his question would have been less vague and more specific ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You do not deserve an apology you did not help at all in fact you were negative.

Zoomer please reread the entire post. azng did not help so whi would i thank him

·
Registered
243 Posts
You do not deserve an apology you did not help at all in fact you were negative.

Zoomer please reread the entire post. azng did not help so whi would i thank him
I stand corrected. He did not help you.

On the other hand... do you understand why quietfly suggested those xover numbers?

Did you really read the MS8 Manual? Because if you did you should have questions based on his post. Such as "according to MS8 Manual it has 8 power amps built in, can't I use those to go fully active?"
You can go fully active without buying anything else. Use your 4 channels of power amp for the 8 inch and 5 1/4, and two of the 8 onboard PAs of the MS8 for the tweeters.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Zoomer Yes i did read the manual. I was thinking of going 3 way
but was not sure if 18 watts from the ms8 was enough power. I
have read a few post that they were not happy and is not enough power.
i still might try it.

Again Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I stand corrected. He did not help you.

On the other hand... do you understand why quietfly suggested those xover numbers?

Did you really read the MS8 Manual? Because if you did you should have questions based on his post. Such as "according to MS8 Manual it has 8 power amps built in, can't I use those to go fully active?"
You can go fully active without buying anything else. Use your 4 channels of power amp for the 8 inch and 5 1/4, and two of the 8 onboard PAs of the MS8 for the tweeters.
I didn't /dont recommend using the internal amp to go active with his tweeters because of the difference in power between the jl and the ms 8 internal amp. Even with the tweets higher sensitivity, I'm not sure it would have level matched well. I do think the internal amp is fine for side channel power as those are mostly ambience cues.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Quietfly thats what i thought i read in the ms-8 post section. i was also gonna
try the ms-8 power to power the rears but not sure if that would level match either

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi Zoomer Yes i did read the manual. I was thinking of going 3 way
but was not sure if 18 watts from the ms8 was enough power. I
have read a few post that they were not happy and is not enough power.
i still might try it.

Again Thanks for the reply
that was my question and I did read the manual (quickly PDF) and look over the posting.. I was thinking if I did get the ms-8, mite run Focal 165 V30 active and remove the XO. I just wasn't sure how much watts the Focal tweeter were going to need. Being for my setup with tweeters in window jam and mids in the lower door. I thought that going active with time delay (ms-8) would be a big advantage over using passive XO from focal and just turning down db setting of focals to adjust for this location.

·
Registered
243 Posts
to all of you that are having difficulties understanding level matching, active xrossovers, power handling of tweeters etc. Let me try to explain.
First for all of you.. go here and read biamplification parts 1 and 2. COMPETELY!

http://sound.westhost.com/articles.htm

You can also read the sections amlifiers and clipping.. lots of good read.

So extracting some information from those pages:

First: xrossovers, bass, mid, tweets.
The power required to reproduce sound reduces as you go higher in frequency. That is because of 2 reasons: 1: the amount of music content goes down with rising frequency. and 2: higher frequency drivers are usually more efficient than low frequency drivers. Subs are often only 85db per watt while mids and tweets are in the 90s usually. For subs and mids, it is a tradeoff between efficiency, box size, and low frequency performance. To make a sub that goes low and works well in a small box you have to make the cone heavy and therefore need more power to move it.

Ignoring the efficency part, just the music content would give you the following power distribution:
below 250Hz 40% of power
From 250Hz to 5Khz: 50% of power.
above 5KHz 10% of power

So basically your tweeters need very little power. Also the distribution varies with type of music. Bass heavy music, the type you want your big car audio subs for, wil have far more power going to the lower under 100hz frequencies.

So, for the kinds of SQ and audio levels we want to listen to in this forum, I would agree that the MS8's 18 watts is not enough for mids, but is plenty for tweeters and rear fill.
A 90db per watt mid will put out 100db of spl with 10 watts! that is plenty for everyday listening!

SO use the 4 channels of your JL amp for the 8inch and 5 1/4 inch mids and the MS8 amp for the tweeters and rear fill if you have.
Wire your car so you have 3 pairs of wires going to the doors. You can then experiment with active, passive, MS8 amps, or an additional amplifier

BTW the MS8 manual clearly says that the MS8 processing causes a time delay for all channesl and therefore you have to run all amps/speakers off the MS8. For examle, you cannot use the MS8 as an active crossover for fronts only and run rears off the HU.

Now for level matching: amplifyers are voltage gain devices. a 50 watt amp and a 18 watt amp set at the same gain level will amplify the signal the same amount. The 18 watt amp will distort at a lower volume level however, but if you use it for tweeters, this should not happen because there is much less power at the higher frequencies.
When you use external amps and the internal MS8 amp, you will have to experiment a bit with the gain setting on the external amp, but the MS8 will do the fine level adjusting automatically as part of the frequency response calibration.
I have to admit that the MS8 manual is lacking abit in this area.

another tidbit..if you think that 100db spl is not much
Recommended maximum allowable exposure times (by Nova Scotia Department of Labour) are:

16 hours for 80 dBA sound
8 hours for 85 dBA sound
4 hours for 90 dBA sound
2 hours for 95 dBA sound
1 hour for 100 dBA sound
30 min for 105 dBA sound
15 min for 110 dBA sound
7.5 min for 115 dBA sound
0 min for above 115 dBA sound (there should
be no exposure at
this level!)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts