1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine gets very hot, right here:

I just reinstalled the unit.
I demo'd one (1) song, and it got hot!
I'm using all external power; no internal amps are used.
Even an hour after turning it off, it was still very hot.

I pulled the hot wire fuse, just in case something is wrong with it (which I have suspected for a while now).

MS-8 owners, any insight??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there a way to check to see if the 8 is still drawing power after the stereo is turned off?

That's what I think may be happening, but I don't know what to check, I'm not that bright. ;)

I used my meter to check the power and ground, which of course gave me 12.4v.

Then I checked the REM IN and ground, it gave me 1.4mv.
Does that in itself mean that the unit is not still drawing power after the radio is turned off?
Is 1.4mv even anything, power-wise.
Could that much draw deaden my battery over a weekend or make the unit get hot?

·
Registered
152 Posts
1.4mv isn't enough to turn the unit on. When you say hot, just how hot? How long can you leave your hand on it before you have to pull it away?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could prob leave my hand on it forever. Hot is a relative term, for sure.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Mine never gets that hot. I'm not using any of the internal amps. I measure about 860 milliamps when powering it on my lab power supply, which is about 10 watts.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Make sure your power wire is big enough and airflow around it. Mine is warm enough to know its on.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, that's what I thought, thanks. Got a loud POP one day (out of no where after being fully installed) which took out my tweeters. I didn't have them cap-protected unfortunately...the left one was literally melted on the back side!

The unit started getting hot at that point and I had problems with the internal amps working, too. I think it's in need of some JBL factory technician love.

Sucks to have to send it off, but hell, I haven't been able to use it since November for one reason or another anyway...what's another 8-10 frikkin weeks, right?!

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine never gets that hot. I'm not using any of the internal amps. I measure about 860 milliamps when powering it on my lab power supply, which is about 10 watts.
I don't know why I didn't think to just ask you directly, dude. That was dumb of me!
Hey I never got anything from you, if you sent it. If you haven't, that's cool too, just wanted to let you know.

Ttyl!

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I don't know why I didn't think to just ask you directly, dude. That was dumb of me!
Hey I never got anything from you, if you sent it. If you haven't, that's cool too, just wanted to let you know.

Ttyl!

I'll try to get it in the mail tomorrow... I've been busy and/or too lazy lately and I apologize for that. Bug me in a few days if you haven't heard back from me :D

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lol, wilco! Nooooo problem. Unfortunately I probably have plenty of time...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts