DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Been quite some time since I've posted here.

Recently purchased my new truck and getting ready to make some changes to the stock stereo. I have a BNIB MS-8 but also a line on a PXE-0850S for a great price.

MS-8 will allow me to keep my center channel and rear doors for surround but the PXE-0850S would let me run all 10 channels of the stock speaker locations.

Curious to see which one you would install? I do have a PAC AmpPro so can run either optical or 6-channel RCA.

Thanks for your opinions!

Chris

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Well, with the Fusion / MS-8 setup in your sig block …. did you tend to run it with Logic 7 'on' and enjoy the upmixed center for multi-position listening?

You likely already know that those are 'hot-button' features, not for everyone and tend to be polarizing on this forum, as are the issues tied to autotune.

You've obviously had experience with the MS-8 so you're probably in a better position than many to know whether the (still) unique things it offers are things that you enjoy enough to offset the compromises it imposes.

You know that no number of speakers will allow you to replicate those effects with a DSP lacking similar algorithms. If you didn't really use and enjoy those features unique to the MS-8 then there's lots of other DSP options open to you, including that Alpine. But if you're already 'sold' on the Logic-7 'sound' …. the choice is clear, no matter what anyone else's preference might be.

Me? I miss not having my MS-8 in my new ride.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My apologies...to be quite honest. I bought all my equipment to go into my Fusion, but due to life events, never got around to installation. Sad, I know.

So, so far I've swapped out the stock speakers in my Ram with the drivers now updated in my signature. Yes, I know their not high-end, but I plan to evolve upwards as finances will allow.

Running off stock power, and ensuring all the drivers are in phase, the sound quality is night and day. I am lacking in the low-end, but the stage up front is pretty good for only swapping the speakers.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't decided if I should sell my MS-8 or stick with it. I like to tinker...and I know after reading the MS-8 threads, it doesn't allow for a lot of fine-tuning. I like the Alpine for its expandability (active 3-way in the future?) but it doesn't have true surround capabilities like the H800 or MS-8. Do I really need surround? Probably not. I've had other systems in the past that sounded amazing with stereo.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would go with the toslink, wich is better than even the best RCA's in my option. If I could control the volume with the steering wheel controls with the toslink, that's the way to go. I am using the Alpine PXA-H800 DSP with both toslink and RCA inputs. I can switch between both inputs in the H800. When I use the toslink input, I have to use my RUX-C800 to control my volume. If you are looking for the best SQ with the equipment you have. The toslink is no question. The 850s does not have an upmixer for the center channel, but you can get close on the center image. That's if you are using a center speaker. If you plan on going full active, than you would need the output channels. Or go with a combo of passive and active crossovers with less output channels from the DSP.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, yesterday I received a package in the mail from China. Since the price was too good to pass up, I ordered a Chinese version of the Alpine PXE-0850S. I still have a BNIB JBL MS-8, and to be honest, I'm undecided on which one to go with.

I think what I'll do is install both of them at different times to play around with each one's quirks and features. Then tally up what I like and dislike about both and keep the one that I feel best fits my needs.

Yes, this will reduce the price I can sell either for being that they'll technically be "used", but I don't see any other way to figure out which one unless I have some real-world experience with both.

Thanks for those who replied! Looking forward to my first venture into the DSP realm!

Chris

P.S. I'm sure I'll be back with many questions, though I promise to research answers already provided in previous threads beforehand. ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
" I ordered a Chinese version of the Alpine PXE-0850S" ????? Like one thats branded different than the Alpine?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
" I ordered a Chinese version of the Alpine PXE-0850S" ????? Like one thats branded different than the Alpine?
No, it's still Alpine, just in the packaging sold in China, so there's a mixture of English and Chinese on the box and in some of the documentation.

Very interesting. I'm thinking this is one of the units sold there prior to release in the states.

I'll post a picture of it later tonight when I'm home from work.

Chris

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's some photos of the unit:

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any issues with this unit that you ordered from China?

?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
None so far. Its a legit PXE-0850S! ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts