DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still trying to figure out what's wrong with my MS-8. In doing so, I noticed that after making changes to the system, when I re-connect my neg batt cable, the MS-8's blue power light comes on (as well as the amp it triggers) for about 4 seconds and then shuts off, BUT the unit continues to get warm where I have circled the picture in red. Almost immediately, it gets very, very warm...after an hour it was hot, but not too hot to touch.

Is this normal?

I am worried my unit is faulty. I had it working good once, but that config no longer works, and now I can only get a few channels to play.

BTW, I have tried having the MS-8 powered output connector connected AND disconnected, no difference with the heat issue.
(Is there any harm in not having it connected if all my outputs are via RCAs to amps?)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
That is where the heat sink buts up against the casing. The casing is used as a heatsink as well. If you take apart the MS8, there is a lot of thermal compound there to help the transfer of heat. Im not sure if the heat sink is for the hi level input, or for the internal amp, or something else. I believe if you are not using the internal amp, it still runs anyways and that may be the heat.

Borrowed that photo from Matt R

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your's gets hot almost immediately, too?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts