DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to be hooking up the system soon. Mercedes CLK 500, running ARC FD 4150 to ID CTX65's (2 pair), ARC FD 600.1 driving a IDQ12, and an MS8. Question is... Do I hook up the center channel? My only option is to drive it with the MS8 built-in amp. The factory center is only 3" and I don't know if I could put in anything bigger. Would I even hear it over the 6.5" comps getting ~80 watts and the MS8 putting out ~18 watts? Anyone with experience with similar size speakers/power??

Thanks!

·
Registered
187 Posts
You should check the impedance of the center first... Shouldn't be an issue though. If the ms-8 amp isn't enough, take the signal out and go into another amp. Simple :)

There other options for the center (assuming the size is ok) you could do something like the HAudio Trinity 3".

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the rest of the stock speakers are 2 ohm, so I would assume the same for the center, but I have a meter and will check. I can't fit another amp and don't want to buy another just for the center. I'm doing a VERY stealth install. Using the factory HU and NOTHING will be visible unless you know where to look. I was just wondering if the center would even be useful with only ~18 watts while the other 4 sets are going to be getting ~80 watts each. I've read that the MS8 may attenuate the components getting 80w to compensate for the low power going to the center.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It definitely does attenuate the other sources so the level is matched with pink noise. I'd assume the OEM speaker can't handle much more to begin with. With a high-efficiency aftermarket and a narrow bandpass (it's not like there will be any bass anyway with 3") there may be enough power in a narrower band to have a decent volume. Below your cutoff (say 300Hz) the power will go the your front stage and not the center (it'll use your amps to make a phantom center for those frequencies) so your power will get used (in the bass) where it's most needed. It's worth a shot anyway to see how noticable it is.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guisar. That's what I was thinking, too. I'll try both with and without the center to see what she sounds like. If I like it then I'll look in to upgrading to a better center. Another thought just popped in my head..... Is the MS8 internal amp bridgable??? What would happen if multiple channels were designated as "Center"? Just a thought.... and I'm too lazy right now to go dig out the manual...

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
A small diameter speaker playing from 300Hz and up, probably does not need much power to be loud. If your factory speaker has 2ohm impedance, I think the JBL amplifier will provide even more power. I'd try this option first..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts