DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here's the deal. I'm spec'ing out the layout of my system for my car, and I've hit a question that I could use some input on.

First, here's the gear I'll be running

Alpine HU
MS8
3-way fronts (Focal oem 6.5", Dayton Rs100 4", Vifa xt25 tweet,)
5.25" co-axial center (Hybrid Mirus M51)
5.25" sides (Hybrid Mirus M51)
JBL GTi-1000 subs (2 10", old-school goodness!)
Aura 50x4 (2 channels to mid/tweets with passives, 1 channel to center)
Aura 150x2 for 6.5"
Aura 150x2 for subs
MS8 Internal amp for sides (20x2)

My question is whether I'd be better off running my 4"/tweet combo in the kicks or the doors? The car is a '94 Integra. Either way, fiberglass and some fab-work will transpire. I had it temporarily set-up with the 4"/tweet in the kicks (no center yet,) and it sounded good, but all of Andy W's posts point towards the 4" and tweet being in the door as the preferred set-up with a center (tweet either in the sail panels or up high on the door panel.)

Here are pics of the kicks and door panel for reference.

If I go for the doors, I was thinking of putting the 4" in the area just above and forward of the pocket, with the tweet in the area in front of the door handle (I think the xt25 is too big to fit the sail panel.)

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

-Ben

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Nice set up! For what is worth...the repeated recommendation from the ongoing MS8 discussion is to have the tweeters in the door or a-pillar...and Andy strongly suggests tweeter in the sail panels for optimal results...Check the MS8 thread for verification and feedback...

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. I had read the ms8 thread front-to-back and I saw that he highly recommended the tweet in the sail or door. I guess I am more curious as to whether or not I'd be better off with the 4" in the door as well. Andy's own vehicles seem to have had the mid in the door also, and with the center, I didn't know if I'd really gain anything by having the 4" in the kick? (They'll be playing from like 1k-4.5k, fwiw.)

Thanks again,

-Ben

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Yes, put the mids in the doors and the tweeters in the sail panels. Rather than leaving an unused channel in the front, bridge two channels for the center. Put 20uF caps on the tweeters.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, put the mids in the doors and the tweeters in the sail panels. Rather than leaving an unused channel in the front, bridge two channels for the center. Put 20uF caps on the tweeters.
Andy,

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it! If my tweets won't fit in the sail panels due to the size, would I lose much by putting them in the upper-door area in front of the door handle?

Thanks again,

-Ben

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mid in the TOP of the door between the dash vent and the door lock button in your picture above.
Doh! *smacks forehead* You must have been replying a 2nd time right when I was, as I didn't see this when I submitted my 1st reply to you.

Regarding my question about the tweets, if I can't fit them in the sail panels would I lose too much by putting them where you are recommending the mids, and putting the mids down lower?

-Ben

1 - 9 of 9 Posts