DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched this forum and google for some time but could not get the answer I was looking for.

I am going to be connecting the MS8 to a JL HD amp, and as I saw that the JL Amp had balanced differential inputs, I got set of balanced RCA cables. However, now I have read that (for a reason unknown to me) the MS8 RCA outputs are unbalanced even though the inputs can accept a balanced signal.

Are there going to be any issues with my setup? Will I need to switch RCA cables, and if so wouldn't that mess with the JL input then? Finally, why build something as high end and with so many features as the MS8 and not give it balanced outputs? (Unless there is a good reason NOT to that I am unaware of)

Thanks!

· Registered
3,062 Posts
I searched this forum and google for some time but could not get the answer I was looking for.

I am going to be connecting the MS8 to a JL HD amp, and as I saw that the JL Amp had balanced differential inputs, I got set of balanced RCA cables. However, now I have read that (for a reason unknown to me) the MS8 RCA outputs are unbalanced even though the inputs can accept a balanced signal.

Are there going to be any issues with my setup? Will I need to switch RCA cables, and if so wouldn't that mess with the JL input then? Finally, why build something as high end and with so many features as the MS8 and not give it balanced outputs? (Unless there is a good reason NOT to that I am unaware of)

Thanks!
Just use shielded RCA's to the JL amp, you'll be fine.
Some balanced RCA's are not shielded that makes them susceptible to noise.

Most processors (even those superior than the MS8, or at least at a higher price point) don't have balanced output.

You can buy a line driver to convert the signal to balanced, but you will likely introduce more noise into the system by doing so.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I got some of the Stinger 8000 series RCA's (mostly cause they were on a massive sale) and just wanted to make sure that this new discovery about the MS8 didn't mean I was screwed. It looks like they are shielded however so hopefully there are no issues. Thanks for the reply!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.